• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho Ultima RB Electric conversion

b_hawk111

Hi guys, So after finishing rebuilding my Nitro Ultima RB I have started looking into rebuidling my spare chassis as an electric model :)

I was hoping to use the ooriginalgearbox and spur holder, then just fit a motor mount and electric gear and be done with it.

however on starting the rebuild this evening, i popped the gearbox open and found that all the gears in the gearbox have stripped, and I cant seem to find a replacement set, or really want them as if they stripped with a 0.15 nitro engine i don't know how well they would last on brushless motors! 

So i have started looking for a suitable gearbox to try and shoe horn in there :)

here is the buggy currently and closeups of the gearbox 

2014-09-20221922.jpg

2014-09-20221909.jpg

2014-09-20221859.jpg

After posting this I managed to find a new gear set for the original gearbox, so thought I would change the title rather than start a new thread! 

also after investigating the gearbox it turns out the gears stripped due to a failed bearing on the diff.

So I have now ordered a full set of bearings for the gearbox, as well as the rear hubs as they were just bushes!

I have also worked out that the spur gear holder off my drifter will fit it perfectly, So i can get rid of the MOD1 original spur gear and fit a 48dp one which has alot more options of spurs and pinions!  

so next stop is decide on a motor combo and find myself a motor mount :) 

Edited by b_hawk111

Ah thanks for the offer!

After all my searching last night for those gears or a replacement set, I looked up the part number in the manual and found a set on eBay! Did the same for the rear axle that is missing and found that too! So now just ordering bearing sets and I should be all ready, just need to find a better way to mount a normal spur gear and job should be a goodun,

So I've fitted the bigger shocks front and back to lift it up a bit, just tried the front big bores off my losi to see how it looks and it's not bad, so I will be buying some slightly longer 1:10 shocks as they are too stiff.

20140922_203612.jpg

20140922_203620.jpg

20140922_203707.jpg

I've also sorted a new spur holder and 48dp spur gear from mst, that goes on a treat and then just to see if the motor will fit and it also does! :)

20140923_205532.jpg

20140923_205548_HDR.jpg

So now just waiting for some money to get paid into my PayPal and I shall be ordering a motor mount and some wheels and tyres for it!

Motor mount is here, and fits very nicely, just need to lift it up by 2mm or so to get the most adjustment in the motor, and then start building the top bracing and stuff! Here it is, test fitted with my motor from my drifter!

20140928_204505_HDR.jpg

20140928_204519_HDR.jpg