• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stripped Tekno Drive shaft in Stampede

sgevans23

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/30127-/

I am having to force myself into realising that Traxxas Stampede are not built for speed. I would like to think that my pede can take a good knock after spending a lot of money upgrading it, and yes it does, i can hit curbs at high speed, jump 15ft without any problems but when it comes to speed something always breaks. I finally received my my new MIP drive shafts. (the last MIPs i had fell apart at high speed, probably because i didnt put enough loc tite in them) 

So all set ready to go and....... after less than 100m of full 6s lipo (2x 3s 5000mah) castle creation speed. my tekno drive shaft strips. I though these drive shafts were bullet proof? i am beginning to think the stock shafts maybe better. It appears there was too much play in the shaft, although i fond that hard to believe because there is not adjustment. This is not the first time i have had problems with the Tekno drive shafts, last time i went racing with my pede, the shaft running through the slipper clutch stripped out on the key'ed side where the grub screw hold ths Tekno connector.

So its a sad situation, trying desperately to make a new speed record and build the fastest pede ever but i just cannot get over the 90mph barrier.

gggrrrrr

Tbh, you are asking these parts to perform way past their intended limits, so really have no room for complaint. As noted, the 'pede wasn't built for extreme speed, so to me, that means having to design custom parts to give the strength required, having discovered the limits of what is available on the open market.

I hate to admit it but you are right Noj

Although i am not going to give up, i will look for my stock drive shafts and give them a try. although i dont think my gearing is quite right yet either to get the speeds i want, at the moment i am using a 21t pinion and 54t spur. and although i havmt given it a good test yet i dont think i am going to get more than 90mph

I thought you'd broken the 90mph barrier and was doing 100mph speed runs already ??..

Have to agree with Noj your pushing this truck way beyond its realms, so if your breaking bits its only yourself to blame ..

These where intended for a max of 3s and your doubling that !!!!!!!!!!

I thought you where looking into mod 1 revo gearing ??

I think you'd be much better off with some proper 1/8th buggy road tyres and a much higher gear ratio plus a lot lower ride height than in your pics  

• Like 1

Mydoddy69

I do bot have any proof of speeds higher than 90mph, they were under assumption because I didn't have proper speed measuring. Kit.

I have now bought a Garmin edge 200. And have yet to give it a good test.

The revo gear mod is the only way to get better speeds as you say and I will be buying it just want to get my truck running smoothly with the gears I have before I take it to the next level.

Sorry fella i thought you'd done them of your phone but yeah not having it on tape i suppose is no good..

You might want to look at making your own custom motor plate while your at it as that way your get a better pinion option ??

I suppose its on hold again now thou till you source more parts ?? 

Can't wait to see this running and good luck with it  :thumbsup:

Mydoddy69

You are right about modifying the motor plate I took a look at yesterday and was tempted to get the dremel out and cut a longer slot although there is not an awful lot to cut and will probably only gain about 2mm.

I just need to investigate the revo gears before I start cutting anything because my concern was if I do damage the motor plate and need to replace it I fear I might strip the heads of the screw bolting the motor plate to the motor which means I will be in. lot more trouble.

I have already 1:8 scale tyres fitted to my pede after the 17mm upgrade I fitted the hpi low profile street fighters

I meant to make a whole new motor plate ! . It's to hard and you can always source some alloy plate of eBay might be able to find some off cuts ?

The street fighters may be a bit to wide hence why I said buggy wheels and using them should get you even closer to the deck and lower your COG a bit more which will help keep you to the floor .. Might be worth making up a front nose cone to help cut the wind ? .

Edited by mydoddy69

I'm with doddy on the wheels front, you want the lightest rotational mass possible. As you have 17mm adaptors fitted, what about X01 wheels/tyres? Designed for high speed, grippy rubber, smaller and lighter than what you have now.

• Like 1

True, i overlooked the XO-1 tyre option before i invested in the HPI phaltines. The XO-1s will be my next choice. i have just bought the 34t revo mod 1 spur and the 25t 5mm pinion so i am looking forward to giving that a try. hopefully i can get it to fit

• Like 1

Alex97

That is an amazing shell.really is a piece of art.

However I want to stay with the monster truck off road theme and will not be changing the chassis as I may as well buy a different truck.I have upgraded almost every part on my pede, the chassis being the only exception.I like the stance of the pede, it's good for general off road use. I just want to get it as fast as a road car.

So my quest to build the fastest pede continues...... unsuccessfully

As you can see the photos above, i received the 25t pinion and revo mod1 spur. i fitted it with a few slight modifications to my pede with a castle motor.

I set out on a nice long flat grass straight near my house but i could immediately hear  the motor was labouring, i kind of ignored it and began to pull the trhottle, after about 4secs the motor over heated and cut out.

I waited about 5mins and tried again. this time one of my HPI phaltline tyres blew

gggrrr

So i am not sure if i should just give up and settle for the stock speeds of about 60-80mph

I dont like the revo mod 1 gears, i think the motor works too hard and might burn it out

I am also not sure what tyres to choose, i want something hard wearing, long lasting, I quite like the XO-1 tyres, there is no ballooning. i quite like the fact they are smooth, it might be more fun skidding around and less harsh on the motor. I really thought those HPI phaltlines were good and suprised they broke. not really will to try them again

any other good tyres to consider?

Are you running a mod 1 pinion as well ?? 

That pinion looks like its grinding on the chassis hence the grey dust !?? 

Stock speeds of 60-80 mph your having a laugh there more like 20-45 mph

If your going for speed it needs to be done on a nice flat road NOT grass as that will not only slow you down but also overheat the motor as it will cause more resistance !..

Mydoddy69,

Yes, i am also running  a mod 1 25t pinion with a 36t spur

I was speed testing on a rugby field, the grass didnt feel too bad, but probably any resistance isnt good.

The dust in the photo is from where i used my dremel to grind away slightly to allow the 25t pinion to fit. i did make sure it wasnt snagging on anything, i just didnt clean the dust.

stock speeds with a velineon as you say are 20-45mph but with a castle 6s i should be getting about 60-80mph with a 54t spur and 20t pinion