• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charger and battery issue, help needed please

antonio76m

Hi all, recently I've bought an X-Treme charger X6 which is the same as the IMax B6 and same software as  Core RC UAC50 Charger and Overlander - RC6-VSP, thing is I cannot charge the batterie properly, not the plug igniter, not the HPI battery pack, neither battery pack I made myself

for all the below example, I've tried different delta peak from default to 10

igniter which is NIMH 1800mh at 1.2v ...  I set the charger with 1.2v battery type NIMH 1800mh, if start charging at 0.1A the display goes over 5000mha, if I charce at 0.2 or 0.4 it does stops at around 1300mha ( at 0.4 and above the battery get hot at around 900mha )

HPI battery pack: 5 cells, 6v, 1600mh ... charger settings 6v per 16000mha, as above charged at 0.1 riches 5000 , at 02 or more does not even reach 1500mh

own made battery pack: 5 cells, AAA batteries 1,2 each = 6V, 900mh ... charger set as 6V, charging at 0.1 right now is at 1300 and still going ( battery just warm ), if I set 0.2 or more, battery pack stop charging at aroung 600mh

as I said I'v tested different deltapeack so not sure if it is the charger or what

so what charger do you use, recommend? even not digital, as long as it does the job properly

thanks

Sounds like it's working fine. You will not see a delta peak at 0.1amps so that's normal. You will rarely see the full capacity of a battery unless you are measuring from fully charged and discharging to 0.8v per cell as that's how most manufacturers set the capacities. ( from full charged 1.4 - 1.45v per cell to 0.9 - 0.8v per cell usually)

What you are seeing seams to be normal for cells discharged to approx 1.1 - 1.0v each. Can you confirm what you are discharge g the cells to.

Sent fron my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's working fine. You will not see a delta peak at 0.1amps so that's normal. You will rarely see the full capacity of a battery unless you are measuring from fully charged and discharging to 0.8v per cell as that's how most manufacturers set the capacities. ( from full charged 1.4 - 1.45v per cell to 0.9 - 0.8v per cell usually)

What you are seeing seams to be normal for cells discharged to approx 1.1 - 1.0v each. Can you confirm what you are discharge g the cells to.

hi, thanks for the reply, 

yes, I do discharge them setting it 0.9 per per cell

so it is normal then :(

what would be the min mh charging rate to have the delta peck activated?

if I keep charging at 0.1mha will I overcharge the batteries and damage them?

thanks 

A 0.1A charge will not really do any damage (depending on battery) as it's just a trickle charge. Anything above 1500mAh will be fine. The delta peak varies per battery but a 0.3c charge is recommended as a minimum. (If you don't know what that is just ask).

NiMh batteries are best charged at about 0.3 - 0.5c to ensure the delta peak is detected by the charger. Most NiMh cells are capable of 1c but it will reduce the life of the cell over time so best to stick with 0.3 - 0.5 for everyday use.

If you set the discharge to 0.8v you will likely see the capacity you expect from the battery specs but it's not recommend you do this too often. 0.9v is better.

Also if these are new batteries they need a few full discharge and charge cycles to get to full capacity. Also the older the battery and the more neglect it had had the lower the capacity will be but most of the time a few discharge and recharge cycles will bring them back to near full capacity again.

A 0.1A charge will not really do any damage (depending on battery) as it's just a trickle charge. Anything above 1500mAh will be fine. The delta peak varies per battery but a 0.3c charge is recommended as a minimum. (If you don't know what that is just ask).

NiMh batteries are best charged at about 0.3 - 0.5c to ensure the delta peak is detected by the charger. Most NiMh cells are capable of 1c but it will reduce the life of the cell over time so best to stick with 0.3 - 0.5 for everyday use.

If you set the discharge to 0.8v you will likely see the capacity you expect from the battery specs but it's not recommend you do this too often. 0.9v is better.

Also if these are new batteries they need a few full discharge and charge cycles to get to full capacity. Also the older the battery and the more neglect it had had the lower the capacity will be but most of the time a few discharge and recharge cycles will bring them back to near full capacity again.

thanks again for the reply, I start getting it :)

when you say 0.3c is it 0.3 of the total capacity of the cell? like if it is a 900mha this means that I should charge at 0.3mh?

one thing i forgot to mention is double check the voltage reading on your charger with a good multi-meter as some of the cheap Chinese copies are quite a way off, some can be calibrated with hidden settings, but others cant. I have a Turnagy Accucell 6 which is the same as yours by the looks of it, but the voltage readings are out by about 5% so i don't trust it fully and would get a better charger if it was my only one.

one thing i forgot to mention is double check the voltage reading on your charger with a good multi-meter as some of the cheap Chinese copies are quite a way off, some can be calibrated with hidden settings, but others cant. I have a Turnagy Accucell 6 which is the same as yours by the looks of it, but the voltage readings are out by about 5% so i don't trust it fully and would get a better charger if it was my only one.

I've just finished a charge

battery pack is 5 x 1000mha 1.2v  - tot. 6v x 1000mha

discharged at 0.9a per cell

charged back at 0.3a, it took 2hr 20 minutes, and at the end it charged a total of 668mha and the finishing V is 7.51v

checked with the tester it says 7.16v

batteries are hot, but still can hold them and not burning

so is it good? do I need to change the charger? it does not sounds good to me :(((

7.16v for the pack equates to 1.432v per cell, which is spot on for a fully charged NiMh, so thats good.(A fully charged cell should read 1.4v - 1.45v)

The chargers does seam to detect delta peak ok so i am not worried there (it would get too hot if it missed it and be too cold and below 1.4v per cell if it peaked early), its just that when you set the charger to discharge to 0.9v it only really goes down to about 1.1v so thats where you need to double check the voltage and adjust your charger to suit the real voltage. This would explain why you are only putting in about 670mAh, as its not actually discharging fully  :thumbsup:

Once you know what to set the discharge voltage to, all will be fine  :yes:

Btw, you don't need to keep fully discharging NiMh like you did with NiCd, they don't suffer from the memory effect. I fully discharge mine once every few months to keep them fresh. They will last longer if you don't fully discharge them too.  :yes:

7.16v for the pack equates to 1.432v per cell, which is spot on for a fully charged NiMh, so thats good.(A fully charged cell should read 1.4v - 1.45v)

The chargers does seam to detect delta peak ok so i am not worried there (it would get too hot if it missed it and be too cold and below 1.4v per cell if it peaked early), its just that when you set the charger to discharge to 0.9v it only really goes down to about 1.1v so thats where you need to double check the voltage and adjust your charger to suit the real voltage. This would explain why you are only putting in about 670mAh, as its not actually discharging fully  :thumbsup:

Btw, you don't need to keep fully discharging NiMh like you did with NiCd, they don't suffer from the memory effect. I fully discharge mine once every few months to keep them fresh. They will last longer if you don't fully discharge them too.  :yes:

ok, il try to discharge and check the voltage, i'll let you know

thanks for now :)

ok, il try to discharge and check the voltage, i'll let you know

thanks for now :)

ok I'v discharged the pack, after many test I get the charger to show 0.10V then checked the pack on a tester to read it and it shows 5.85V

what does it mean? is the charger not discharging correctly?

i'll try to charge it back and see what I get

don't get what you mean with the "0.10v", what did you try discharging to? a battery cell should never go down to 0.1v or else damage will occur.

A 5 cell 6v hump pack will show 4.5 volts when discharge to 0.9v per cell (0.9 x 5 = 4.5), try not to go lower than this.

A 5 cell pack at 5.85v would be 1.17v per cell.

As i said the only thing these charges need is the voltage readings calibrating, they charge and discharge fine. They pick up the delta peak, so wont over charge so your OK there. It just when discharging they won't fully discharge because their internal voltage readings are a little high to begin with and stop discharging too early. This doesn't effect the charger in anyway and is ok to use.

don't get what you mean with the "0.10v", what did you try discharging to? a battery cell should never go down to 0.1v or else damage will occur.

A 5 cell 6v hump pack will show 4.5 volts when discharge to 0.9v per cell (0.9 x 5 = 4.5), try not to go lower than this.

A 5 cell pack at 5.85v would be 1.17v per cell.

As i said the only thing these charges need is the voltage readings calibrating, they charge and discharge fine. They pick up the delta peak, so wont over charge so your OK there. It just when discharging they won't fully discharge because their internal voltage readings are a little high to begin with and stop discharging too early. This doesn't effect the charger in anyway and is ok to use.

what I mean is ... while discharging I set it to 4.5V, when done I tested it and the tester was showing 6.12V, so I lowered the V up until I went to 0.10V discharging, and when the charger was done, end discharging, I checked with a tester and I got 5.85V, which is still high according to your data so no way do go lower :(

is there a way to calibrate the voltage?

Edited by antonio76m

gotcha now, yes it just needs calibrating which can only be done on the older firmware chargers, hang on and i will get you a link

even though your charger is a different brand its just a clone like many others, and is the same process as this.

Edited by gavin28

even though your charger is a different brand its just a clone like many others, and is the same process as this.

thanks a lot, i'll give it a try and let you know of the outcome :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi there, I did what the video says and tested with different batteries, but still the charger would not discharge properly, so I gave up and bought a new charger, the Equilibrium EVO Touch, tested different batterie packs, hump pack included and this one gives me satisfaction :)

so thanks again for your support