• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help a newbie :)

nitroBen

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm Ben, I've been a lurker on here for a while, shamelessly leeching off your expertise (sorry), so I decided to sign up to see if I can repay my debt in a way (doubtful, but hey).

Anyway...

I just got round to fixing my MT2 G3.0 (broken pullstart in frustration) and it still wont run nicely.

It won't start under factory needle positions, and adjusting the needles seems to be pot luck as to whether it starts.

When it does start, it bogs down under ANY throttle, sometimes cutting out. I have heard that this is a sign of mega-leanness, but richening the mixture seems to make it worse or have no effect

So this is a plea to anyone with any knowledge of tuning nitros to suggest what my problems are

Pleeeaaase :)

As a side note, I know the glow plug and igniter are good, I bought a new Hot Shot 2 igniter and new OS No.8 plugs (as recommended by everyone with a 3.0 engine)

Sorry for the noob-ish question, just a guy needing help :)

Don't worry if it's a noob Q, this is MSUK Forum, were fine with it!!

Bogging can be a sign of your car being too rich, or being very lean, or you could have an engine leak.

Try to tune your HSN first (ask if you don't know where the needles are on your carb). If factory doesn't help, try flush settings, where the needles are in line with the housing.

Ok, for HSN go WOT (wide open throttle) and look at the performance and smoke.

--Slow, lots of smoke=TOO RICH

--Revving very high, no smoke, very hot engine=TOO LEAN- dangerous

Next is the LSN, let your car idle and pay attention to how it quits- if it does

--Quits by bogging down, car slowly stalls=TOO RICH

--Quits by revving up, or suddenly cuts=TOO LEAN

When you can get it to idle for a long time, let the car stand, and gun the throttle, observe-

--Car stalls straight off=TOO LEAN

--Car bogs and accels slowly=TOO RICH

Remember you can always fiddle around with the idle screw and throttle trim too.

• Like 1

sounds too rich...stellar response by the way behappy, thanks :)

I should probably also do this on the local playing field, not in my back garden...hmmm

The only problem is actually getting to WOT, the car stalls with the slightest tap of the throttle :( I'll try again tomorrow though

there good engines all they need is some loviun to reawaken em(fresh race fuel :P, good heating then when it bursts into life you shout ITS ALLLLIVVVVVEEE in a german accent  :tease:  :hahadance:  :xd: 

i always preheat my engines