• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Blown head gasket

After a run up the woods today my HPI Baja started to rev high then bog down and then stop. After further inspection i noticed fuel leaking out of the head gasket where one of the two bolts had came undone.The engine has now been split and i found that the gasket is half missing so I've ordered a new one to replace it..

Do i need to aline the piston ring gap up with anything.

Is there anything i need to do when i put it back together with the new gasket.

Any help or tips greatly received.

Thanks SSS 

If the piston has not been taken off the con rod,then it will be fine,just make sure you get the piston ring on right,so the ends are locating with the peg/pin in the ring groove.

Goldman :030::fish:

If the piston has not been taken off the con rod,then it will be fine,just make sure you get the piston ring on right,so the ends are locating with the peg/pin in the ring groove.

Goldman :030::fish:

Is that the groove in the head under the carb inlet port??

its the groove in the piston .line the ring up to the small pin in it

One all fitted back together, start the engine up, let it tick over for a few minutes until the head is hot, then check bolts & re-tighten where needed, id also use some engine stud lock (not thread lock as it's not heat resistant) on the end of bolts to stop them from working loose in future :)

Oh & dont forget gasket sealant :)