• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's Baja Flux Build - Ruby

Thunderwolf

thanks to fti i now have a front body mount and a gear cover for this

i also found a spur gear spacer in my tool box so the spur is fitted although i can't seem to get it to fit straight as it keeps rubbing the gear plate, something to look into.

also placed an order for some alloy side body pins, i could have got stock but wheres the fun in that.

list of part still required:

RX

Batteries

ESC

Motor

Shell

Battery box

Ah ha, spur rubbing...our issue exactly, although with the B and the plastic spur, not too much damage done.

So, where is the issue? Layshaft? Diff case? Castle kit??

Got to strip mine down and start measuring things and checking for bends...gut feeling is the castle conversion kit, seeing as how both ours have identical issues, and different gearboxes...(plastic vs TR)

Thoughts?

i've had issues is between either the spur gear itself or the gear carrier, not sure which

my expectation is the rubber dampers i've got fitted, either they are not right (i've had to reshape them to fit) or the spur gear isn't the right size.

Wrong size spur? Surely that is impossible? Not fitted some integy cheese on the sly.. ;-p

nope, its a hostile spur, i think the ebay special rubbers are rovan or km jobs, and i expect them to be the issue

someone should buy a new hpi (which ever is cheapest from a shop), buy a new km baja (again cheapest in the shops), run them for a tank to get their engine loosened up alittle.

them just have them do a head on with each other at top speed until one breaks, the one that doesn't/that breaks the fewest/cheapest parts wins.

the gear cover from FTI was originally white.

1 very quick sanding

5 hours of waiting

6 layers from a plasti dip sray can

end result

DSC08305.jpg

doesn't look so bright in person, stupid camera flash

i have also put the battery box and a clear baja flux shell on back order

Edited by Thunderwolf

one step closer, side pins arrived, go them on (not really a big job is it)

the flux battery box and shell i've ordered are on back order, so they could be a couple of weeks before arriving which is fine by me, not like they are stopping me running her.

i got the paint job planned out for her as well, and unlike most shell recently, i'm going to painting this myself for a change, i mean how hard can it be? (don't answer that)

so right now all i have left to order are:

motor

esc

batteries

rx

the big 4......shame i found something else to spend money on before that happens lol

Ruuuby. Looks great but is she also a high-caliber sniper rifle? And will she be wearing a combat skirt *high five*?

I am assuming you're a RWBY fan btw :xd:

Keep the photos coming!

Ruuuby. Looks great but is she also a high-caliber sniper rifle? And will she be wearing a combat skirt *high five*?

I am assuming you're a RWBY fan btw :xd:

Keep the photos coming!

not sure what you mean but, its also a gun.

i also have the dvd, ruby, wiess, blake, and yang silouette shirts, got a rwby avatar on all the rc forums i use and recently bought the bluray.

nope, not a fan :ph34r:

not sure what you mean but, its also a gun.

i also have the dvd, ruby, wiess, blake, and yang silouette shirts, got a rwby avatar on all the rc forums i use and recently bought the bluray.

nope, not a fan :ph34r:

Glad to hear that, lol.

DSC08357.jpg

so when this arrived i found it didn't fit, the middle chassis brace on the castle kit isn't compatible with the flux battery box, atleast not without cutting it all to hell which would be more hassle than it is worth.

the brace doubles as a mounting point for the battery box on the flux baja, so if you want to fit it on any other baja you will need the battery box (part 108719) as well as the brace from the hpi baja flux model (part 108726)

after that it just drops in, the lid is held on my clips that are attached to what used to hold the front of the fuel tank and the back of the radio box from the petrol version of the car, it actually does a damn fine job, i can hold up the car just by holding the hole in the lids where the battery wires exit..

i'm still waiting for the body shell to come in from back order, looking forward to painting it so thats going to be fun, still need to order the paints i'll need)

so as it sits right now, it a 100% complete rolling chassis (minus a shell)

i have sourced an rx for her so its only the big 3 parts left to get, esc, motor and the lipos to run them. its been a long 14 months but the end of it is slowly coming into view.

Edited by Thunderwolf

It looks brilliant so far dude. I really am looking forward to watching it progress to actually being a working brushless baja and then hearing your feedback on it. I would have been tempted to make one if I hadn't annoyed the wife with the size of the Losi ;)

Can you take some shots of the box with lipos in, for size reference please? Nice and tidy in there, if the big zippys fit, I would consider fitting it, although, it may not be a good fit with the cap pack?

That would be really helpful TW, or, could you measure the interior dimensions of the box, length, width and height?

Because of how my straps are fastened to the chassis, the beast seldom gets any pack movement after poor landing skills, however the B does, and a box fitted in there would be spot on :-)