• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tools? New job!

rc_nutta539

ok so ive just started a new job in bus refurbishment. and im llokng to sort my self out a tool set as i need it for work. Im looking for decent quality cheap.

I have posted a ad in the wanted section but wanted some advice on where to buy stuff from and what sets/makes are paticulay good.

i need a socket sets, screwdrivers, spanners, panel; beating hammers, maybe a decent drill etc...

Another vote for Halfords Pro/Advanced kit. I have a set of ratchet spanners and they're great. I had one fail and it was replaced immediately with no questions asked.

Make sure you keep all your receipts, and also photograph your kit too. Makes life a little easier should some scroat nick it and you have to deal with insurance companies (you will be insuring your kit won't you?).

Dunno if he could you have to show loads of parts receipts and invoices to show you run a business

You can if you show qualifications in motor vehicle mechanics and that you work in a garage..thats all I did

Good luck with the new job :)

I use Halfords Professional, but find Kennedy are a good budget range (available from Cromwells), I would avoid buying too much Draper although its a cheep way of filling your toolbox (I do have some nice Draper Pro stuff but it doesn't last as long as Halfords).

My tool chest came from Machine Mart, was a second as had a dinted rear panel paid

It does cover tools but if its in sale you can only get your discount off the full price so just choose lowest price :) not had any clarke tools myself but haven't had any problems when I have borrowed them

Teng tools seem quite good aswell but dunno about price

For tools in sunny nunny cheap try tool station inside wicks, or go onto machine mart they do open nights from time to time where they offer tools off display at silly prices, halfords stuff is good to as stated above ,im sure if you get chatting with the lads in the nunny store or the birds get them to sort you a staff discount lol , theres a guy on ebay in bedworth too who has a big tool ebay shop his prices are ok on power tools etc. wheres the bus depo your starting by asda ? or you starting for the guy from the train station who restores all the old vintage buses? 

nuneaton replacement panels have opened a big store now by the new footy ground they was over from halfords before if you didn't know there good for air tools an paint filler etc but im sure the company you work for will have a trade acc with dave anyway for there paints thinners etc.  and another good store on your door step is the tool box on the corner by the council house im sure he will give you a discount if you tell him your in the trade , ive used him from day he opened for locks an the old tool .

sealy / clarke / draper all should do for what you need don't need snap on etc it will only get robbed or lost over time. an don't bother with britool waiting for them to swop broken stuff takes mth . good luck in the new job .

Look at teng tools i know a few people who use them and not had problems

I use all snap-on stuff myself and love it it feels very well made and have never broken anything yet in 8 years as a fitter for a large 4x4 accessoroes company

Another vote for Halfords gear here, Mac/Snap on is good if your budget can stretch but doubt you'd really be missing much. Love my Facom drivers though, nicest design i've seen :)