• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Touring cars, new electronics... colour me confused.

Mr Jihad

Hello, been lurking on here on and off for a while now and along with other sites I've been reading up on everything but I'm still not sure on a few things. Haven't had any RC's for years now, problem is I got out of the hobby just as LiPo's, brushless motors and the new 2.4GHz radio systems came in. Read a few things here and there and I understand the basics, what I'm not sure on is what products are good, and which ones are overly expensive or simply not worth purchasing.

What I'm thinking of going for is a new top end touring car, and some high end electronics. If I'm getting back into the hobby I'd really like to do it properly - then I can think about racing at a club somewhere once I've got all the gear.

First question, I've been looking at the TC6.1, Xray T3 2012 and the TRF 417X. The TC6.1 is quite a bit cheaper than the other two and looks a great car so I was thinking of going straight for it. Anything to note on the TC6.1 or is it just like the others? Also I've seen the Xray T4 is coming soon enough, although I'm expecting it'll cost about as much as a planet so it's probably a no go.

Second question, I've had a read through a few different documents from clubs and the BRCA, seems that most places run 17.5 with any ESC and 13.5 with timing advancement/turbo mode off on the ESC. Would it be worth getting the 17.5 and running with everything on, or going for a 13.5 and turning a few settings off providing the ESC supports it? As for motors, I've been looking at the LRP Vector series - good/no good?

Third question(s), what makes are worth looking at for a good TC spec LiPo pack? What sort of numbers am I meant to be looking for regarding capacity etc?

Finally, there are a few companies that I'm not familiar with, and a few that I am from either back in the day, or recent reading. Do Speed Passion make as good stuff as LRP, Tekin, Novak, Reedy and Team Orion? Are all those brands able to compete with each other or does one make much better value products than the other?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction regarding this, it's rather difficult when I've read a lot of information but haven't really come any closer to knowing what's worth it and what isn't. Basically what I want to have is a complete setup that's good quality and not too worried about cost, although I'd like to keep it somewhat reasonable. Having tried a few things out, I came up with around

Problem is fella that pretty much every leccy bit has been badged and rebranded or copied so just because it looks expensive or has a higher price tag doesnt mean the quality is there, for example.......castle and HPI motors and escs are pretty much one now with HPI rebranding the castle stuff. Ezrun/exrun/hobbywing-king all run OEM versions of similar products, like the esc you get with an RTR brushless vehicle, my XTM XT2e came with a rebranded hobbywing ESC as an XTM one. The tamiya's and the Xrays are very good cars with a racer in mind, like the yokomo drift cars too, look sick. So if you are bashing it around a car park, could expensive if you bend something or get a stone in a belt.

As for the motor limits for the BRCA, i dont like rules so im a basher, not a racer even though i use a stick controller, i do have SOME finesse.

best thing to do is go to the clubs you plan on running at and see what people run, have a natter with the guys there and they will be able to guide you the right direction.

the thing is if you wanting top spec of everything be prepared to exceed your budget.

if i was you id go second hand for most things except lipos unless they are hardly used and mint condition with no swelling.

keep you eye on the sale section on here but mainly oople.com you see more tc stuff going thru there aswell as electrics.

ive dropped on some nice kit second hand cheap just need to know the right places.

• Like 1

Its also worth going to the club before buying because the chances are someone will be selling stuff. Some racers just have to get the latest kit which means there is almost always some very lightly used high end cars at knock down prices on the club notice board. Same for esc's, motors and even cells.

For example right now the Orion R10 is THE esc to have, which means lots of LRP, Speed Passion and Tekin stuff which is actually just as good is being sold off cheap.

As for the motors - have a look what is popular. Different clubs use slightly different rules (my local TC club is 10.5t and any esc for example) and some will run separate heats for different motor types. See what puts you in the most popular class/

Right so its pretty much a case of a few OEM's a then the companies put their name to things. Even if they are totally different the performance is close enough to not worry about which product I buy?

Might have to go down a club and see what people would recommend, could be a good idea that. Doubt I'll buy any second hand stuff though, I'd much rather have everything totally brand new even if it ends up costing a lot more.

Any TC racers out there have any other they want to add?

Edited by Mr Jihad

yes basicly going to a club is the best idea dont forget to find out what tyre compound people are using also ask at race control if there is a set tyre to use at the club where i race they recommend sweep 32s and 30s.

if you want every thing brand new and top spec be prepared to exceed the

• Like 1

Jihad, check out the touring car forum on here. Loads of threads about what cars to buy. Schumacher Mi's, Xray, Tamiya trf, tc6 are all popular, but there's loads more out there. If they all run Tamiya at your local club and you buy an Xray, then no matter how good your car is you're on your own for set up and spares etc.

Good luck with it and happy hunting.