• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Slugsies ongoing battle with a HPI Savage XS

Slugsie

I'm in the process of cleaning mine now, going to be putting it in the for sales today/tomorrow,

Got a few spares and a hpi 2s lipo,

It's an awesome truck, but with 3 big savvys, a Vorza and a d8 this just ain't getting a look in, plus I got bills coming out my ears so somethings got to give, I'm after

On the xs you want the 1/10th stadium truck wheelie bar :thumbsup: .Glad your electrics are ok mate.I wish i could get my feild link to work.I dont want to run it with the lvc set at only 3v.

I have got this programme card for my SV2 i use it for the savage as well all i had to do was update it from castle if you download there software you can then plug it into your computer it is a bit of a faff downloading the software if you got Vista but stick with it its worth while here's the card

http://www.modelspor...-products/38854

one last thing mine came with a USB lead so dont need the USB adaptor

Edited by mydoddy69

I have got this programme card for my SV2 i use it for the savage as well all i had to do was update it from castle if you download there software you can then plug it into your computer it is a bit of a faff downloading the software if you got Vista but stick with it its worth while here's the card http://www.modelspor...-products/38854 one last thing mine came with a USB lead so dont need the USB adaptor
Thank mate i have sorted it now :thumbsup: .Yep i am on vista and it wouldnt do it.I had to run it as administrator or somthing but me being crap with pc's i couldnt work it out but did in the end :yes: .

Thank mate i have sorted it now :thumbsup: .Yep i am on vista and it wouldnt do it.I had to run it as administrator or somthing but me being crap with pc's i couldnt work it out but did in the end :yes: .

Yeah i know the feeling still trying to work out how to post pic's on hear :doh:

It's raining and cold here so no real playing out today. However I've adjusted a few settings and fitted the Trenchers on so figured a quick squirt up and down the road was in order. Well it was on it's back within 3 meters! :D Might have to dial the punch back down again.

Anyway....

Just ordered the wheelie bar from T Bone. :whistling: Bit miffed that I have to pay a second postal charge but thems the breaks.

BTW, if you use the code 'First time buyers" at the checkout you get a 5% discount. :naughty:

Just been looking at the pics on T bone for the rear bumper and it looks like a 1/18th T bar on their one to me. Might just be the angle but the wheels dont look like the ones on the 10th scale any thoughts on that i think I'm going to wait til i see what a 10th scale one looks like I'm siding towards the 1/18th thou

Just been looking at the pics on T bone for the rear bumper and it looks like a 1/18th T bar on their one to me. Might just be the angle but the wheels dont look like the ones on the 10th scale any thoughts on that i think I'm going to wait til i see what a 10th scale one looks like I'm siding towards the 1/18th thou
I emailed them a few weeks ago to see what wheelie bar i needed for the xs and they mailed back and said the 1/10th stadium truck one :thumbsup:

Ah i didnt see the first time buyers bit.Did you adjust the puch when running 2s?or are you going to adjust it for 3s?I am not sure if i should leave mine as it came or adjust it.

I haven't had much of a chance to adjust the setup for 2S. It was set for a punch of 6 which seemed OK, but that run was on sand so it's hard to tell.Today I set it to 7 on 3S with the bigger tyres. On tarmac that is too much without a wheelie bar.With any luck next weekend the weather will be a bit nicer and I can experiment a little.

Thanks mate i will leave the settings alone apart from upping the lvc.I realy wanted to give mine a run today but had to go out this morning so by the time i would of charged my lipo it wouldnt of been worth it.Weather permiting i will deffinatley give it a run next weekend :thumbsup: .

I'm in the process of cleaning mine now, going to be putting it in the for sales today/tomorrow,

Got a few spares and a hpi 2s lipo,

It's an awesome truck, but with 3 big savvys, a Vorza and a d8 this just ain't getting a look in, plus I got bills coming out my ears so somethings got to give, I'm after

Yup, front, rear with wheelie and centre. Got an email saying it's been dispatched, so just waiting for the postie to row across the Atlantic now.

*edit* Just double checked and it appears that I may not have the wheelie bar at the back. :(

Managed to take the XS out for a quick spin just now before the light disappeared (must refit the headlights) with a 3S 3300mah Overlander pack on wet bumpy grass. Silly fun. I have the SC8 set pretty conservatively with the punch set at 6 out of 9 and it is just on the edge of wheelieing even at speed. It's just silly fast, probably an easy 40mph. Some tweaking to do as the braking is a bit inconsistent, but no problems. Did about 8-10 minutes before my daughter took it through a big puddle and it packed in. She got a bit of a bollocking for that although on further inspection is looks like it had actually hit the LV cut off. I picked up a IR thermometer from Maplins this afternoon so I was able to get the temps as well, around 30C when I measured - although that was 30 seconds after recovering it from sitting in a puddle for 30 seconds although the electronics were mostly dry so probably not too far off. The cooling fan in the SC8 is a little noisier than I think it should be so that will need looking at too.

Now I just need a good sunny day, fit the Proline Trenchers, a 5000mah 3S, GPS speedo, and get out onto the beach for some high speed shennanigans. ;)

If you go for a 5000 make sure the battery has the wiring attached and not the plug in type as it won't fit in the battery holder :-) Or at least this is true of a 2s 5000 pack!! (I know ;-) )

Currently I have 2 5000mah LIPOs. One is a 2S Turnigy hard case that fits fine, the other is a 3S Turnigy soft case that is way too big. I'm currently using an Overlander 3S 3350mah battery which fits easily. I'm now waiting for Nick to post me a couple more Overlander 3Ss so I will be able to carry spare packs. 3350mah seems to get maybe 10-15 minutes or so, so the enforced break for a battery change and cool down is probably a good idea. :)

Just thought I chime in to say I got one a couple of months ago, have only taken it out once (properly) and the ESC is headed back to HPI... what joy.

Edit: I meant 'once properly', other times it's just been blasting around out the front of the house or around the back garden.

Edited by Stumungous

Just thought I chime in to say I got one a couple of months ago, have only taken it out once and the ESC is headed back to HPI... what joy.

That sucks. But at least HPI don't seem to be being awkward with replacing the ESC. How did you run it (2S, 3S?), and what happened? How long did it take to blow up?

Edited by Slugsie

That sucks. But at least HPI don't seem to be being awkward with replacing the ESC. How did you run it (2S, 3S?), and what happened? How long did it take to blow up?

I'm using a Zippy Flightmax 4000mah 30c 2s lipo.

This would have been the third run, tested it out in the kitchen and it made all the right noises but the motor didn't go, unplugged and tried again and there was no beeps but when I applied throttle it blipped forward briefly and then nothing.

I spoke to James at HPI and he seemed to think the motor was at fault as apparently they make the beeps (?) needless to say motor and ESC are now on there way to HPI.

I'm just wonde3ring where to go now, do I get it back and try again or buy a cheap system and ebay the HPI setup?

All I can advise is what I did. Swap the ESC for a Hobbywing SC8. Specified up to 4S so man enough for 3S in the XS. As long as the motor you have is good then you should be all set.

I haven't sold on my original ESC, but looking on ebay suggests that it should go for roughly the same as the SC8 costs.

I have a draw like that...

Unfortunately there's more than one drawer, there's also a cupboard, small conservatory shed and garage all with stuff that should have been ebayed...

Hey ho...

I was realy hoping to get out with mine today but there is a ealy heavy frost here so the ground is going to be soaking later.i know the xs is waterproof but my radio box isnt waterproff anymore and i have fitted a fan to my motor so the front wheels are going to throw all the water straight into the fan.