• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D drawing thread..sketchup etc..

scrumpy jack

glad this thread is still going strong. Promc- those savage bits look great! hmmm...shiny! looks like your getting the hang of kerkythea- I'm amazed at the results possible with these free software packages. I've got a few things in the pipeline I'm working on which are RC related...watch this space :yes: pics coming soon....

• 2 months later...

thought I would get this thread going again, not had much time recently to play with sketchup, although managed to start this yesterday, did a quick render in kerkythea....it's not much and looks a bit like like an Ariel atom but at least it's got me remembering how to use sketchup again! have also started designing a nitro-powered chopper bike, but i"m not going to show you that until I'm happy with it...

buggy.jpg

buggy2.jpg

thought I would get this thread going again, not had much time recently to play with sketchup, although managed to start this yesterday, did a quick render in kerkythea....it's not much and looks a bit like like an Ariel atom but at least it's got me remembering how to use sketchup again! have also started designing a nitro-powered chopper bike, but i"m not going to show you that until I'm happy with it...

buggy.jpg

buggy2.jpg

Looks very nice mate, there is a lot of aliasing in the lines though, any way of adding some anti-aliasing to smooth it out a bit?

good render there Mr Revo! Kirkythea is an awesome bit of software once you get the hang of it....there's lot's of aliasing in my pics because I used the photon mapping quick render option- to see how it looks, once I've finished my model I then up the render settings to make it pretty! as for the floor texture- draw a floor in sketch-up first and put a texture on that- once exported to Kirkythea you will be able to change it. Theres loads of free add on textures for Kirky too- I'm particularly fond of the car paints and carbon fibre textures :thumbsup:

Edited by scrumpy jack

good render there Mr Revo! Kirkythea is an awesome bit of software once you get the hang of it....there's lot's of aliasing in my pics because I used the photon mapping quick render option- to see how it looks, once I've finished my model I then up the render settings to make it pretty! as for the floor texture- draw a floor in sketch-up first and put a texture on that- once exported to Kirkythea you will be able to change it. Theres loads of free add on textures for Kirky too- I'm particularly fond of the car paints and carbon fibre textures :thumbsup:

Thanks, I followed your advice, didn't think it would need such a direct approach lol, I was expecting it to be more like an apply floor texture setting etc.

Just did another render now, couldn't find any decent carbon fibre textures yet so went for some metal.

I'm liking this program :D

Will have a look at Vray Hide :good:

Render%202.jpg

Here's a link to some nice textures, there's several pages worth here.... http://www.kerkythea...unc=select&id=3 be careful when using some of the more complex ones though....they can really take a while to render decently. Best advice to give for if your new to Kirkythea is to get your sketchup model as good as possible first with all the textures and colours in-place+lighting/shadows etc.. then once exported to Kirky start substituting them with kirkthea textures...If you go under the 'view' menu change it to the 'solid objects' view- then you can see your model colours/textures better. I often just use the basic plastics as materials and just edit the colours/shinyness- as they look good and keep the rendering times down. The thin glass in the 'basics pack' is also all you need really for glass materials.

These are great to add backgrounds http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=select&id=11 select them using the globals button in the menu...

Edited by scrumpy jack

Cool pics doods :thumbsup: .

Here's a link to some nice textures, there's several pages worth here.... http://www.kerkythea...unc=select&id=3 be careful when using some of the more complex ones though....they can really take a while to render decently. Best advice to give for if your new to Kirkythea is to get your sketchup model as good as possible first with all the textures and colours in-place+lighting/shadows etc.. then once exported to Kirky start substituting them with kirkthea textures...If you go under the 'view' menu change it to the 'solid objects' view- then you can see your model colours/textures better. I often just use the basic plastics as materials and just edit the colours/shinyness- as they look good and keep the rendering times down. The thin glass in the 'basics pack' is also all you need really for glass materials.

These are great to add backgrounds http://www.kerkythea...nc=select&id=11 select them using the globals button in the menu...

Lol,i made the mistake with the textures,took one of the renders 7 hours & it only got to 57% before i called it a nasty name,then stopped it :shockingscary: .

Havent played with sketchup for a while,these were the last ones i rendered for the Savage build.

lowersuspensionarmx4.jpg

shock10.jpg

shockx81.jpg

Anybody know of any good plastic texture packs ?.I usually just make the plastic parts black in sketchup,then leave them alone in kerkythea,but the texture just isnt quite right :(

nice savage parts there Promc-are they to scale?...I actually stumbled across them in google warehouse yesterday- are you doing an entire savage? I started to do a whole savage- but saw yours, and have now abandoned the idea :thumbsup: As for plastic textures- have you not used the basic plastics in Kirkythea? - I use them all the time, there very good.

A good thing to try is adding some dynamic lighting in sketch-up, there's some good free downloadable plug-is to do this, you can add what kind of illuminant you want eg. spot, flood etc. you can also alter the power of the lighting for different effects. Also worth turning the 'sun' off to get a night time look. I also experimented with putting a jpeg photo behind a window- works well I think.

HOT-ROD-RED3.jpg

HOT-ROD-RED2.jpg

here's a few low quality renders of the newly named 'Scrumpy's big fun time buggy thing' I found a rather nice V8 engine to stick in it-although I think I've scaled it wrong...seems a touch on the small side :whistling: Oh and I know the seat is floating above the drive shaft...it's a work in progress.

buggyengine.jpg

buggyengine3.jpg

nice savage parts there Promc-are they to scale?...I actually stumbled across them in google warehouse yesterday- are you doing an entire savage? I started to do a whole savage- but saw yours, and have now abandoned the idea :thumbsup: As for plastic textures- have you not used the basic plastics in Kirkythea? - I use them all the time, there very good.

Cheers dood.Am aiming to do the whole Savage,have just got to find the motivation :(.Scale wise,all of the parts are as close to the real thing as i could get with the tools that i have,which is a tape measure & a ruler :whistling:.

here's a few low quality renders of the newly named 'Scrumpy's big fun time buggy thing' I found a rather nice V8 engine to stick in it-although I think I've scaled it wrong...seems a touch on the small side :whistling: Oh and I know the seat is floating above the drive shaft...it's a work in progress.

buggyengine.jpg

buggyengine3.jpg

That rocks :hahadance: .Its one thing to copy existing parts,but to build from scratch is something else :yes: .Ive had a couple of 'yeah,ill try that' moments,but they never come out the way i envision them.Practice makes perfect i guess :).

I actually find it easy drawing things from scratch- as if it's my own design no one can say that it's wrong! When I started to do some savage parts- I just found it a bit tedious measuring everything and getting the scale/colours etc right. For doing cars I do tend to use other peoples wheels to start with as it gets me up and running with regards to getting the proportions right, I will then draw in my own. From a young age I constantly sketched cars and aircraft and I still do it out of habit whenever I have a pen and a scrap of paper near me! So I think I have a fairly good eye for proportions and what looks 'right' I guess.

• 1 month later...

So been messing about on sketch-up again recently- and started drawing a nitro powered chopper. I did a couple of renders in Kirkythea at a medium photon mapping+anti-aliasing setting, each took around 40 mins to render- look pretty good though I think.

nitrobike4-highres.jpg

nitrobike4-highres2.jpg

nice drawing JamesChatz, but excuse my ignorance- whats formula student? I'm assuming it's some sort of design, build & race your own cars academic race series thing?! What sort of engine would you fit in that? I'm guessing a small bike engine?

I was bored on my day off work yesterday- so had a mess about on sketchup. I thought I'd try doing some whole scenes and try putting water in....my computer really struggled though! I can't take credit for the drawing of the land rover and buildings- as I pinched them of google warehouse. I also decided to draw my ultimate Hi-lux...will carry on with this I think and add some more to it.

dock5.jpg

pete-Hilux.jpg

• 2 months later...