• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A litttle astro photography

SatNav

Howdy folks...

This is my 1st real go at stacking and processing an image completely with PI, ive had it must be about 2 weeks now, i think im improving with my processing side of things

This is only a re-process of the 4 hours worth of subs grabbed on the 29th of September would you believe it! that was the last time i had clear skies with no moon frown.gif

Pixinsight process

15728554748_e114a7aa72_c.jpg

M31 (Pixinsight) by tingting44, on Flickr

Photoshop process

15147531728_ebb0956971_c.jpg

M31 - WIP by tingting44, on Flickr

Single 10min sub

15730354617_f0f4164066_c.jpg

M31  (single 10min sub) by tingting44, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

latest attempt from my little 130-pds

im quite out of my comfort zone with comets lol as this is my 1st time imaging one and 1st time creating a GIF...... still need to stack my comet data to give me a nice picture, i will get around to it once i finish processing my M31 data,,,,,, only been processing it for about 3 months lol

not sure if this silly video or GIF is going to upload properly....its one thing making the gif, its another thing trying to upload it....giving me right head aches frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, this is my 1st process of M81 & M82, i cant ever seem to get to a place where i am happy with my images, im way too fussy, i know what i want to do, just my Pixinsight skills are not up to what i need to do, and i try to over think things in processing which really seems to bog me down, any way this is my 1st process of this target......

This was taken at Turf Hill on Saturday 21st Feb, it was a good night collecting the photons, how ever i had quite a few problems lol, but hey ho it would not be astro imaging if there were no problems lol :D

I ended up with... 
16 x 10min light subs @ ISO800
50 flats ISO800
50 darks ISO800 (taken from darks library to match light temps)
140 bias ISO800?

16461968597_a31a619369_c.jpg

M81 & M82 by tingting44, on Flickr

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words mate, all my images are taken with my Canon 7D

Reading through all the posts in this thread has got me wanting to brush the dust off my old Meade etx90 and kick start the hobby again!!

I do have an old spc900 web cam but it's not modified other than to fit in the view finder but I did recall getting some good shots of Jupiter with it using the registax software. Not sure how far the tech has come on since I last used the telescope but I guess it would be a good starter.

• Like 1

Reading through all the posts in this thread has got me wanting to brush the dust off my old Meade etx90 and kick start the hobby again!!

I do have an old spc900 web cam but it's not modified other than to fit in the view finder but I did recall getting some good shots of Jupiter with it using the registax software. Not sure how far the tech has come on since I last used the telescope but I guess it would be a good starter.

Do it! dust off the cobwebs and get back in to it hahaha :D

mate the SPC900 is a worthy camera i tell you for the price and if you all ready have it your be well pleased with it! you can not beat it for its price range.

Here is one of my images of Jupiter when i had the trusty SPC900

8454344162_5d90be3c9f.jpgJupiter - 06/02/13 - 9:45pm by tingting44, on Flickr

i have now upgraded to the QHY5L-ii (only as i needed a very sensitive mono guide camera which also doubles as a planetary camera) but i did love my SPC900

yes registax is still my preferred program for planetary.....not that i hardly do any planets any more, im too addicted to imaging deep space now, would be great if you got back into it, at least i wouldnt be the only one left in this topic lol :D

let me know how you get on or if you need any help with anything

Edited by Tingting44
  • Like 1

Love that pic....you don't fancy sending me a copy so that I can use it as my screen saver ;)

Edited by 24jas77
  • Like 1

Thanks mate! :)

yes I don't mind, what picture do you want me to send?

im at work at the moment, but when I get in ill send you over the full res version :)

Thanks would like the andromeda one please.

Shouldn't be to long now before I can get my telescope out and start taking my own pics!!!

Just need to buy a T2 adapter for a canon eos.

Edited by 24jas77
  • Like 1

Thanks would like the andromeda one please.

Shouldn't be to long now before I can get my telescope out and start taking my own pics!!!

Just need to buy a T2 adapter for a canon eos.

no probs.... do you use dropbox? as its a big file? if so send me your dropbox email

nice one on getting your setup up and going!

i get a lot of stuff from FLO, excellent customer service :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters.html

• 4 weeks later...

Comet Lovejoy Q2

This was taken on 16th January 2015 at my local dark spot Turf Hill

Guided on the stars for 2 min subs, i grabbed 36 mins worth, really think i should have guided on the actual comet tho to grab a more dramatic tail.

Not sure when ill try another comet, not really my cup of tea....they are buggers to process

I used my usual gear to capture this....
SW 130-pds
HEQ5
Canon 7D
Stacked in DSS and process in Pixinsight & Photoshop

16956830195_90f4db3421_z.jpg
Comet Lovejoy Q2 by tingting44, on Flickr
Edited by Tingting44
  • Like 1

Hi, think ive just about got to the end of this image, its been one of the hardest images to process to date, it was also my 1st time imaging an object over 1 night

I 1st captured night 1 data on the 21'st September 2014 which consisted of 25 subs giving me 4.16 hours on M31

here is what 1 ten min subs looks like with no processing done at all

15730354617_f0f4164066_z.jpg

M31  (single RAW 10min sub - NO PROCESSING) by tingting44, on Flickr

and here are a few versions from night 1 data...(these were processed last year)

15147531728_ebb0956971_z.jpg

M31 - WIP by tingting44, on Flickr

15164897339_fb9ab0995f_z.jpg

M31 - Negative B&W - WIP by tingting44, on Flickr

15728554748_e114a7aa72_z.jpg

M31 (Pixinsight) by tingting44, on Flickr

Then the next chance i got to grab night 2 data was 16'th Jan 2015! due to weather/work......

i managed to grab 19 more 10 min subs giving me another 3.16 hours of data, so in total of night 1 & 2 i now have a total of 7.32 hours on M31

i have been over and over this combined night 1 and 2 stack so many times lol, think im going to now file it away as "finished" for now, till i get more data later on in the year......maybe

Well here is the final image consisting of 7.32 hours of 10 min subs (44 subs), all images have dark/flat/bias calibration frames 

16832231907_e2878b6814_z.jpg

M31 - Finished by tingting44, on Flickr

The equipment used...

SW 130-pds
HEQ5
Baader LP filter
SW Coma corrector
Canon 7D

also thought id show a quick process of trying to get a decent mask in Pixinsight to protect the background and stars, it was a right pig, lol
16016535503_43edf9b3fd_z.jpg
jobs a goodun by tingting44, on Flickr
Edited by Tingting44
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some superb pics on this thread, oh no you might have started a new hobby for me.

The poor wife...............

i know how you feel lol, my wife hates my telescope, it does live in the living room tho lol

ive just figured out how to use Pixinsights solve and annotation scripts, i got to say its an awesome script, here are a few of my images ive annotated :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tingting44/sets/72157652063243722/

Edited by Tingting44