• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The LHC

Revorocks

Well if y'all like your conspiracy theories... try the one that even the CERN guys believe it's possible to open a rift to another dimension that something could go in or come out of.

omg its flash gordon all over again

It wasnt so long ago that the greatest minds in the world thought the world was flat, and if you sailed too far you would fall off!

that is just a myth

Edited by HootMaRoot

Some cool pics of the LHC.

It's the quantum stuff that produces the biggest stoners though - all that "it's alive and dead at the same time" and "everything is in multiple places at once" stuff..

Einstein said "if quantum mechanics is true then the world is crazy". We know now that the world really is a quantum world and yes reality is completely crazy and nothing like we think it is.

Edited by Samari

It's the quantum stuff that produces the biggest stoners though - all that "it's alive and dead at the same time" and "everything is in multiple places at once" stuff...

that that cat in the box thing? its both alive and dead until you open the box?

A lot of these theories could be the thoughts of scientists with either Cannabis or Amphetamine phycosis or both,the amounts of Opium and Lordenum that scientists ingested back in the day is startling,i've seen guys thinking they had the meaning of life and that they were Jesus Christ through Amphetamines,most drugs cause a deeper level of thinking but without the rationality that it needs.

At this very moment in time,Quantum Mechanics and its adjacent subjects are pretty much pointless to mankind and the progress they invite is miniscule to say the least,even the likes of Stephen Hawkin doesn't thoroughly understand the majority of it albeit he's house is in Astrophysics,Mathematics and Cosmology,he still turns his mind inside out trying to rationalise these theories that some wierdos dream up.

I think it's better for man to concentrate on the immediate problems in the world like famine,disease and global warming before theres no one left to think and theorise anything,lets concentrate on conquering our own demons before creating theoretical ones,that in my opinion may or may not be more dangerous.Me for one would rather get excited about other stuff than over a particle accelerator that if used wrongly may or may not end life as we know it....wink.gif

Whether or not it's immediately useful is beside the point. Physics is close to answering some of the biggest questions ever asked: "what is the universe made from?" "what are the fundamental laws of reality?" "where did we come from?". On these issues Quantum Mechanics is more than just a far-out theory, it's an extremely accurate and testable model of physics at the atomic scale.

Edited by Samari

Close..?Close is a lingerie shop without a window...No one knows how close the answers to those questions are,they may just open up another quandry for all we know,it may answer nothing at all,it may not even work.While professors and other academics sit wondering what this'll do and what that'll do,the world is on the verge of total disaster,only the arrogant believe there'll be an absolute and definitive answer to what the LHC will offer,even the most confident are more than a little aprehensive as to the results once this thing is set in motion.]

I just think there are a lot more pressing things the worlds supposedly great minds could be doing instead of thinking up more ways to destroy an already fragile planet,lest we forget the A bomb,Anthrax(although not man made) and a whole host of other terrible stuff that these so called brilliant minds have conjured or manipulated,we dont need another one,it may be the best discovery ever but theres a small chance it may all go terribly wrong and while theres a small chance I think they should leave well alone.I like to remember that presumption and arrogance are the mother of all f*** ups.....confused.gif

There really ISN'T any risk. The whole thing started because of one particularly vocal nutjob from Hawaii tried to get the US courts to stop them...

I'd think any investigation into the lower levels of matter is more than worthwhile, because there's a good chance it'll lead to discoveries that will aid in nuclear fission, or even improvements over that idea for power generation. When you're working at such a low level of matter, E=MC^2 starts to look like something you can test in the physical world.

begs the question , "how long is a piece o string"

erm....twice as long as half it's length

Well the first beam collisions have happened and although they're a fair bit short of the maximum power, there's no black holes or earth soup yet. I think we're safe. ;)

famous last words :whistling:

Iain

It's the same with Welshmen in Chester. :lol:

We Englishmen used to be a Xenophobic bunch.

Also the length of a piece of string depends on what you are. If you're a mathematician, it's infinite length because it displays the properties of a fractal. If you're a quantum physicist then there might not even be a string. If you're an engineer, you'd apply an arbitrary length to a reasonable precision.