• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

JayJ's 1/16 E-Revo VXL.....US Imported

JayJ

took mine to a field with a nice smooth carpark at the edge for some speed runs hoping to catch the gps speed using my nokia 5800

Unfortunately its a nokia and as such didnt work nor want to work and clocked my top speed of 3kmh, Anyway onto the real issue, after a few runs i notice on hard throttle the car veers right, id put this down to ungluing tyres as they balloon lot but this then whent into twitchy steering followed by nothing only throtle control.

So i walk to it fiddling with the wheel and back it comes, but glitching and locking up too one side, so i walk back with it, and test again and its fine? i cant seem to think whats causing this, i will double check all the rx plugs are in tight but even now if i rev the car in the air the wheels cock to the right badly until i lay off.

Any ideas or should i try and claim for a faulty servo?

well i can sadly say i have found the issue! Following a long slide on its roof from a high speed run, i have managed to shred the antenna cap (the black protector) and rip in half my 4 day old ansmann rx wire

so now i need to get that sorted with a new wire and some handy soldering from someone

well for now the revos name stands proud as its still going strong its mearly my lovely new radio that couldnt handle it haha

well i can sadly say i have found the issue! Following a long slide on its roof from a high speed run, i have managed to shred the antenna cap (the black protector) and rip in half my 4 day old ansmann rx wire

so now i need to get that sorted with a new wire and some handy soldering from someone

well for now the revos name stands proud as its still going strong its mearly my lovely new radio that couldnt handle it haha

Sorry to hear that dude, I've keep my Speky Ariel under the shell for that exact reason. But at least your MERV's ok!! Just go back to the stock radio system, then you can Keep On Trucking!! :D

Update on mine coming soon!!

Edited by JayJ

Ok, so I finally got the 1/10 Sidewinder installed and calibrated! The smoother control opposed to the stock VXL is night and day, much more responsive. And the brakes are great now.

Although I am disappointed that it doesn't seem to making much difference with the temps! :confused: But the control difference and tweeking with the Castle Link is worth the outlay! I had to switch the ESC & Rx sides as the Sidewinder has a bigger footprint than the VXL, just trim taped it to the chassis.

Also I replaced the smaller outer bearings in all four knuckles as I cracked some, with some serious bashing!! :D

And I've put on the STRC Red Aluminium Hex's, they're deeper than the TRX Aluminium Upgrades so they hold my Tense 'locks better. Plus they lock on with a grub screw, no more loosing drive pins with the wheels off! Then I mounted some TRX Anaconda's to my JC Tense 'locks.

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

I've only run her for about half an hour so I'm gotta do some more testing with this set up. Keep an eye on those temps and see how I go.

I have a stock Black body coming, should be here in the next few days, also got another stock chassis and stock Rockers on order. I'm going to dye them black, as I'm sure y'all can see I'm going for a Black & Red theme.

I've also tonight just ordered 2x Proline 1/16 Slipstream Bodies and I'm not to sure about these but some Hot Racing Knuckles? I know HR have a hit & miss reputation, well I've only ordered one set so I'll give them a try.

I started this threat to show y'all MY MERV but if there's anybody out there with a 1/16 E-Revo, show us what you got!! STOCK OR NOT.

Edited by JayJ

mine front left drive shaft is mashed so waiting on CVD's and all the wheels are comming unglued so waiting on the bead locks

sorry for the mess in the photo charging some of my lipos for the weekend

not much done to this truck

alloy push rods, tie rods, centre diff and novak 4s cutoff, oh running 2.4Gig aswell

running on 4s1p (2x 2s 2200mah 20c)

s1darkblue001.jpg

Edited by jammi

I started this threat to show y'all MY MERV but if there's anybody out there with a 1/16 E-Revo, show us what you got!! STOCK OR NOT.

Here's mine then.... Completely box fresh

DSCF1393.jpg

Just got 2 of the Traxxas batteries, but will get some LiPo's at some point.

Need to nip out this afternoon and get a couple of Traxxas connectors to make a series connector.

mine front left drive shaft is mashed so waiting on CVD's and all the wheels are comming unglued so waiting on the bead locks

sorry for the mess in the photo charging some of my lipos for the weekend

not much done to this truck

alloy push rods, tie rods, centre diff and novak 4s cutoff, oh running 2.4Gig aswell

running on 4s1p (2x 2s 2200mah 20c)

s1darkblue001.jpg

Nice mate, looking good! Hope Ups are coming along nicely, you got anymore plans on what to do next? What 'locks are you getting?

You seriously running 4s1p? Man it's fast on 3s, what sort of speeds you getting with 4s? And what gearing are you using? Having any heat issues?

How you finding the CD? I have it but haven't installed it, I'm still loving the wheelies. Sorry guess I''m still a kid at heart, despite my age!! :lol:

Sorry for all the ?'s, just interested!!

Edited by JayJ

Here's mine then.... Completely box fresh

DSCF1393.jpg

Just got 2 of the Traxxas batteries, but will get some LiPo's at some point.

Need to nip out this afternoon and get a couple of Traxxas connectors to make a series connector.

Oh man, jealous!! I remember the day I got mine. They do look nice all new and shiny. But there is something about the well bashed look!! lol

I'd recommend a wheelie bar though or that wing ain't gonna look that pretty for long running it in series!

Have fun man!! BYT

Edited by JayJ

Nice mate, looking good! Hope Ups are coming along nicely, you got anymore plans on what to do next? What 'locks are you getting?

You seriously running 4s1p? Man it's fast on 3s, what sort of speeds you getting with 4s? And what gearing are you using? Having any heat issues?

How you finding the CD? I have it but haven't installed it, I'm still loving the wheelies. Sorry guess I''m still a kid at heart, despite my age!! laugh.gif

Sorry for all the ?'s, just interested!!

Think the beadlocks (same ones as yours) and CVD ill leave it be after that, as I got the ERBE to work on aswell as the Baja 5T, RC8's and also what to get a new rock crawler.

The centre diff has reduced the wheelies and also helps when braking on turns you dont have the truck on 3 or two wheels, to tell the truth wasnt really too fond of the wheelies and having the truck flip 360 all the time was a bit of a pain.

4s has made the acceleration much faster but not really done anything to the top end think the ESC must have a rev limiter or something? I've never hit over 50mph

IMG_6152.JPG

Edited by jammi

Think the beadlocks (same ones as yours) and CVD ill leave it be after that, as I got the ERBE to work on aswell as the Baja 5T, RC8's and also what to get a new rock crawler.

The centre diff has reduced the wheelies and also helps when braking on turns you dont have the truck on 3 or two wheels, to tell the truth wasnt really too fond of the wheelies and having the truck flip 360 all the time was a bit of a pain.

4s has made the acceleration much faster but not really done anything to the top end think the ESC must have a rev limiter or something? I've never hit over 50mph

Yeah the MERV does have a rev limiter. The ofset of the Tense 'locks gives the truck a wider stance thus making it much more stable in turns, definitely makes a difference when cornering. She still flips, just not as often!

is there any metal centre drive train out for the vxl? and you got the size or something that fits the rocker post as to bearings as the bushings I have are all messed up now?

Do you mean Drive shafts or Centre Tranny?

No metal centre drive shafts that I know of, Hot Racing have just released an Aluminium Centre Transmission case and Hardened Steel Centre GEAR set.

Here- http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=61794

http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=61688

Probably be good for anybody with the Tenbol 540 motor mount. I've got some aluminium on mine but I ain't going to mad!!

Bearing size for the Rockers- 4x7x2.5 (x8)

Bearing size for Steering Bellcrank- 5x8x2.5 (x2)

I've done mine and IMO it does make a difference, especially the steering.

where can i get these from Bearing size for the Rockers- 4x7x2.5?

Rocker bearing part No.- 5124

Bellcrank Bearing part No.- 5114

These are Traxxas Blue Rubber Sealed Bearings, I think they're both for the Jato so any TRX stockist will have them or be able to order them. Or you could get these from the toyz- http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=12114&cat_name=MINI%20E%20REVO

Their shipping is fair and you won't pay any UK VAT on anything you import that's under £18 (approx. $28) not including shipping.

Edited by JayJ

Well today the revo has had a real beating and some crazy dirt donuts and finally the rear diff has gained a click! pulled it all apart and sure enough theirs a few nibbled teeth.

Cant complain i really have treated it like poo lol and it just kept coming back.

So now its time to make a few orders to fix and upgrade this little beast as its earnt its place in my collection and my heart i simply love the little buger!

So fellas i have got my merv finally, scratched the crap outta the shell lol and really wondered why the hell people are trying to get these mental little sods to go faster. So looking at a couple of upgrades but wondering if you guys had any recommendations for intial upgrades. I already have changed servo and bought 2.2 lipos.

Edited by Ryote

WHERE THE HECK ARE THE PICS DUDE?? LOL

I already have changed servo and bought 2.2 lipos.

Do you mean 2.2 buggy wheels or 2x 2s Lipo?? :huh:

Well I think the best upgrade on these little babies would be Lipo, if you have great, if you haven't, you should!! Then 2.4 ghz, but you have the DX3S! :thumbsup:

The shocks are pretty much a weak link, very soft; way too easy to bottom out.

The fix- STRC or TRX Aluminium Shock bodies

TRX or HR Firmer Spring rate (TRX Tan 2.02/ TRX Black 2.22)

Higher Viscosity Shock Oil (50wt-80wt, experiment!)

If you do this you should get 2x shock rebuild kits (bladders, seals etc)

Some 2.2 wheels with more offset, makes the truck wider, thus more stable. Not as much rolly polly!!

TRX Toe Links, saves trying to adjust your Toe with those silly ball studs (still have to adjust camber with them though) & if your gonna get the Toe Links you might aswell get the TRX Push Rods. They look nice!!

A wheelie bar, if you wanna keep your rear wing looking nice.

And a free one, if you go or have gone Lipo and your having heat issues, use the included 23t Speed pinion.

EDIT

Also the above mentioned bearing mods, all four Rockers (x8 bearings) & the steering bellcrank (2x bearings).

And if your the patient type, strip your front & rear diffs out and put some silicone diff oil in them. TRX Quality Control has a lot to answer for!! I stripped mine to put the TRX CVD's in and guess what........ that's right NO diff oil!! From factory it's suppose to have 30k!

This will save you money in the long run, don't wat no stripped diff gears on it do we!

Edited by JayJ

Hardly worth a pic on stock lol especially since after a couple of days bashing in the street she's way past perfection. Right going to look at upgrades mentioned have seen a really nice set of black beadlocked wheels and tyres for around 36 dollars really love yours but can't quite bring myself to spend the cash as i know a trip to the parcel force office is going to happen for the purchase. Was thinking of buying in small parcels but then postage outweighs tax and vat. Will stick a pic up once i order some parts and get them on. Thanks for the advice .. i reckon we ought to start a stickied merv post as quite a few peeps are starting to get these mental trucks. I already have mine on 2.4 already changed the pinion as i run between the 2200 7.4 2s lipos and dual nimhs so i can extend my run time and already have done the velcro cover mod.