• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Returning to gliding!

Hello all..

Long time RCer, been on here for a few years mostly in the scale and Tamiya haunts. Flown helis and latterly quads, now CAA qualified pilot and part of my job :)

Built gliders with dad many years ago and been thinking about a glider for a while and ordered a Phoenix 2000 from hobbyking. Should arrive this week and be a project over Christmas

Lot of reading to do in the meantime and look forward to any advice

I'd be very interested to read your impressions of the model. I used to fly RC gliders back in the '90s - learned to fly with the old balsa and spruce Phoenix II. I wonder what the new Phoenix is like?

Phoenix has arrived and 1st impressions good...however I'm comparing it to 1980s balsa build! 

Fuselage is blown plastic with wood 'tray' for servos and electrics, wings have spaces for servos for flaps and ailerons.

really can't complain for £43! 

Ive built and learnt to setup helis and now been reading about flaps, ailerons, camber, reflex and crow for the last few days.... Having a rest and off to read advanced quantum physics then war and peace before bed!!! 

Will update when I've figured a few bits out 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 21:27, Davy Crockett said:

Phoenix has arrived and 1st impressions good...however I'm comparing it to 1980s balsa build! 

Fuselage is blown plastic with wood 'tray' for servos and electrics, wings have spaces for servos for flaps and ailerons.

really can't complain for £43! 

Ive built and learnt to setup helis and now been reading about flaps, ailerons, camber, reflex and crow for the last few days.... Having a rest and off to read advanced quantum physics then war and peace before bed!!! 

Will update when I've figured a few bits out 

Have you progressed with the P2k yet? I've got two at the moment, one powered and one slope only. Nice planes, stable but nippy, good fun sitting up high or swooping down for grass skimming missions. About the only real weak point is the front firewall. Overpower the motor or come in nose heavy a few times and it will crack. I gave up trying to glue the f/wall in the end, partly down to fat hands in a skinny fuse, partly because nothing properly sticks to the fuse material. Hence one now being slope only.........

Flaps really help to slow it down, I've not bothered to setup crow or reflex but a mate has the works programmed on his, loves it with full length ailerons. Hope the build is going well. If you do stack it, just buy a new one, I tried getting a new fuse posted from HK and it comes in at the same price as the kit I got from the UK warehouse.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply....

Since 1st post I've received 4 servos, ESC and Rx. Extended wires for wing servos and fitted all servos .

Transmitter setup is a bit of a minefield and need to learn more, got some settings in, plugged all into Rx to test, powered up and everything moves. Ailerons move as expected  but think flaps settings need a bit of adjustment as they don't move much. I'm very much a novice so may be so wrong here

Building this as un powered glider and learning as I go

Hoping to progress in next few days

Just out of interest, why are you using an esc if you're not motored? My sloper runs battery > 6v BEC > rx. I didn't see the point of running power into an esc with only a minimal 6v load going out. I swapped out the 3s lipo for a 2s but did need to play with position to get the COG right. More room in the fuse though.

You also don't need a massive amount of movement on the flaps if just using them standard. I think mine are set as 15% & 30%, I found going much further than that and it starts pitching badly when they're applied. Try small and increase if needed.

You're brave standing on the top of a hill in this weather, if that's your plan for getting it sorted asap. May I suggest a balaclava, good gloves and pocket warmers. We were out in similar weather last year and I was wearing safety goggles to stop my eyes from watering constantly. Also a snood, hat and hood under winter coat. I struggle to fly in the winter after that experience!

Hope you get the tx settings sorted, it's annoying to start with but done right and it's set and forget.

Good luck with the rest of the setup. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I have two P2K and they are great for the money. One i modified so the wings are attached with rubber bands for a quick on and off. They fly well on the slope and easily take a Gopro style camera. The fuse is very strong and takes alot of impact (lots of granite on Dartmoor)!