• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:6 crawler Ford superduty build

Mate,  that is not cheap for injection moulded plastic. That would cost about 10-20p to manufacture. As said, its the hardcore/too much money brigade that would buy such an item. You could get a decent kit for a few dollars ? more (cue Clint Eastwood music).We are talking China where these things are banged out at an extortionate rate.

J

5 hours ago, yoodoo said:

Mate,  that is not cheap for injection moulded plastic. That would cost about 10-20p to manufacture. As said, its the hardcore/too much money brigade that would buy such an item. You could get a decent kit for a few dollars ? more (cue Clint Eastwood music).We are talking China where these things are banged out at an extortionate rate.

J

I said in comparison lol, the Toyota Hilux is another, you can't even get a proper interior into it and it's still over £160 at last check.

I know they won't take a huge amount to make, but there is definitely a lot that goes into them.

The RC4WD are just butchered versions of the D90, not good at all for £280.

Update, I've found reasonable quote to have the rails made up in 5mm aluminium and some extra bits for £54!

Bargain!

Lead time is 2 weeks...ish

So for now, as ever, cracked on with the body.

Front grill and bumper meshed, sprayed, lights added

Think they look smart!!

Total cost 1.99 !

Uber discreet when not in use, was an ache in testes to fit

c0csaiV.jpg

PWXhPLf.jpg

R5NRWAQ.jpg

WTye3aV.jpg

KgkKJpp.jpg

t2PEU9y.jpg

C6B0kVL.jpg

The cab got two dash downlights as well

GDF7ybB.jpg

Door cards also done + detailing

ptQY0Fy.jpg

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info in the pm @yoodoo

But I'm sorted now for a chassis, well...at least my main rails

I've ordered them to custom made for me as they're 690mm long.....the ones your linking, like gelande etc etc are for 1/10 scale I think (fyi you can get the Chinese copies of the landy d110 short cabs for £30 ish all day on eBay)

My rails will be plasma cut....would of preferred laser but he could only cut 4mm ALU with his laser, oh well....his plasma cutter is HD spec so should be accurate!

They'll look like this when finished

26706061543_f47df89df1_z.jpg

(Hiroki's build)

Finally got the body 99% finished! 

All put together now.....but me being me...i quickly mocked up the start of a side project

A hood for the rear bed, made of suede from an old jacket, great effect as it's kinda nicely with and patterned from use, will eventually have some / or just one rear window put in, along with some toggle ties

Whole thing comes down in seconds by removing some screws for the frame

Start off

Lesezoe.jpg

Frame setting, temporary cable tie until I get a tiny clamp made tomorrow

lfpYwQI.jpg

jHLI8oU.jpg

fldmVtI.jpg

fEd2ZvJ.jpg

Got some wheels on way aswell

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 20:38, Fly In My Soup said:

P.s what height of tyre should I go for ????

130-40mm overall diameter?

I'm going with 125mm!

Got my wheels today, they where an extra to a job lot of wheels I bought for the kids rc's

Bit scruffy, will tidy them up,already began refurbing one...not going to town, just colour coding to match body, adding weights etc

They look rather small for this scale....but we will see how we go...can always buy a cheap alloy set.

LNIJvdZ.jpg

Ol8Dl6g.jpg

1o9OqJn.jpg

XzWmA2z.jpg

gUBVMqB.jpg

Z43N96S.jpg

TFYAvi5.jpg

P.s previous owner has sealed up drain holes in rim....good move??

Edited by Fly In My Soup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, you ask me about the shocks.

I use proline powerstroke for slash rear, which I believe 102mm with the firmest springs.

In terms of scale realism, they are not the best. RC4WD shocks look far better. But I wanted the rig heavy so that in the video it would move realistically.

I chose a heavy motor and a heavy servo for this purpose. The powerstrokes can support these weights so well (and moves very smoothly).

34076768626_c8dd0cede2_c.jpg

26560458914_3c64b7ff73_c.jpg

Well firstly, welcome to msuk luckland!!! (for everyone unaware, this is the rc scale builder from Japan, who built the original f350 superduty build over on sbg, that I am following)

Secondly, I'm concentrating on this crawler for a while after putting the speed run project down for a while so you should see increased activity on this thread.

Thirdly!!! @big gaz I still may need that axle...! But for now I've bought these, I'm fully expecting them to let go at some point!!

xtraspeed-CB1170-1.jpg

And I also picked up some alloy shock hoops for the front and also this 220mm shaft

From GDS racing

s-l300.jpg

And thanks to @luckland, I now know the shock length so I'll get ordering them asap today

Then its motor, ESC, transfer case, various plates, two more shafts and finally the rear leaf spring setup....and probably more!!

Hey, it turned out the inside between the chassis rails is 114mm width, meaning 124mm outside.

I chose this width for the size of the axles. You have to make sure where your axles have shocks and link mounts.

5a55b43af107d_chassiscopy2.thumb.jpg.6d8364189d0a9548ebfa4e50b28d6e63.jpg

I used this blueprint when I designed the chassis. It might be helpful for you too.

126-131.thumb.jpg.1b35549927eebbc0ec08078efeb069d5.jpg

126.thumb.jpg.32b718080d891bb79f4b002509168787.jpg

• Like 2