• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Texas Wild Baja restoration

danny boy

So I received this today, apparently found it on Ebay when I was not so sober and decided a small bid wouldn't go amiss. Wasn't sure what it was at the time, it was simply listed as a "Vintage RC car". 

After a little research it seems I got my self a Texas Wild Baja, a car that later on to become the Kyosho Baja California, with a few alterations. As far as I can tell these were manufactured between 1978-79.

Now slightly unsure what I would do with it, I've decided the only that can be done is a restoration to it's former glory. It seems almost completely original, just a shame it's missing the shell :(, though Kyosho Baja California shells can still be bought, so not a huge loss.

So here is as it stands today, "fresh" from the box.

7054UdY.jpg

kx3blcC.jpg

JR8q5hG.jpg

AYObaG8.jpg

MM0u9M8.jpg

This has to be my favorite but, engine sticking right out the back of the car 

bZwwtAX.jpg

Guess now we see how far this can go :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, evssv said:

Wtf.:lol:..love that heat sink:yes:

Yes, I cant see that it serves much purpose, but I definately want to leave it on there just for the looks!

2 hours ago, autobutcher said:

What were you drinking that night? Just so I can stay away from it!

It's a really pretty car, you just have to squint hard enough :lol:.

On a serious note, what would be my best bet for cleaning this baked on gunk off these metal parts?

• Haha 1

Bloody hell, The Texas Wild Baja was the second RC vehicle i ever owned back in the 70's (The first was a mardave Nitro Ferrari). If you are not a Vintage enthusiast then that would be a good model to bring up to modern day standards add shocks etc. Yes it does look as if everything is original, i love the spring adjusters on the front, things were so much simpler back then!! Is that a vecco 21 motor?

13 hours ago, yoodoo said:

That is one cracking car.What did you pay for it?
J

The more I work on it the more I love it, some great engineering in it. Spent £130 posted on it, thought it was slightly smaller before it arrived, actually a 1/8 scale as it turns out 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, yoodoo said:

That would be a great project, getting it back to showroom condition. Guess what I'm going to look for on fleebay?

J

Honestly I can recommend it! I've never done a restoration before, didn't really plan on this one. But I'm enjoying it way, way more than I thought I would. Maybe the novelty will fade off after a while, but making these old parts shine is keeping me occupied for hours.

Small wheel comparison just for fun. Just done the wire wool on the left one, still to polish it. I'm wondering if it may be worth lacquering some of these parts? 

kQbqdAj.jpg

Now that is not a bad call yoodoo, I'm sure I have something suitable in the garage.

Meanwhile, progress is expectedly slow. Every single part needs cleaning, so as you can imagine I only get through a handful of parts each evening.

What comes off the car

VPFypHh.jpg

What goes back on the car

q364egn.jpg

FQebEdL.jpg

A little pitting on these parts, which is a shame, though these have so far only been lightly polished, when all the parts are done I'll have a day at properly polishing them all with a rotary tool and polishing addon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 18:36, evssv said:

any more progress on this dude :good:

Yes a little, progress slowed as a part repair was needed. but all is now sorted!

One of the four front suspension arm mounts had some damage. It's a solid machined part, and when I tightened it up the thread snapped clean off. Luckily it's a fairly beefy part, so I was able to lathe out and tap a new thread to insert a piece of threaded bar into the stub. Now it's tinted black again I think it will go unnoticed.

JKIwzNJ.jpg

Once that was sorted I started work on the back plates, only one back on the car for now until the rest is cleaned up

5z7F4YK.jpg

Also rear arms ready to go back on

hKbfZSW.jpg

gQIsym3.jpg

Another thing I noticed when working on this car. This thing is looooooong. Definitely longer than my hyper 7, maybe a little narrower though.

Edited by danny boy

Well the car has been packed away for Christmas, so will not be updated for a few days. Only progress I made today was to clean half of the exhaust, which isn't that exciting to be honest

2ggfmCS.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, the car did come in the original box, though it didn't fare so well in storage over the years.

kdX5EGa.jpg?1

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, evssv said:

so what is the actual make of it dude??

I believe the make is Hobby products. Though I can't find any info on this company, where they were based or what become of them. Possibly linked to Kyosho/Graupner based on the similarities to the Kyosho circuit 20, which came a bit later than the wild baja, though that is just a guess.

(not my picture, but this is the kyosho version of the car)

P1000485.jpg

Edited by danny boy