• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

Sorry dude. Didn't mean to jack your thread. 

Ok no work till 6 so no opening till then. Expected a famous style plug, pleased with the deans though. Tyres are stiffer than expected and must replace the servo horn. Apart from that I am gonna try it as it is before ripping it to bits. 

No problem. Did the same with my Outlaw thread which I renamed The Outlaw Owners thread.

Tyres do grip rock quite well although they're more rock racer than crawler. Might try the Irok clones from my Outlaw.

You'll want to replace the servo with a faster one I think. 

John

Edited by johninderby

Axles and servo installed. No mods needed to anything and it all just bolted into place. Just had to move the upper mounting point of the upper links to get the right driveshaft angle.   Have used a low profile servo for now but some washers will move the servo just that little bit forward to use a standard servo. Ordered a pair of steel driveshafts which should be here early next week.

Also fitted a set of Absima 95mm alloy shocks.

John

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Hey John. 

Any more news on this. Still yet to run mine due to having the scout in bits and one job at a time hopefully getting it out either tonight or tomorrow. 

Well got the steel driveshafts and the Losi sensored BL crawler motor and Novak installed. Unfortunately the sensor cable has gone missing so have ordered a replacement.  :ack:

New servo is a tremendous improvement. Much move travel and much, much faster. Highly recommended upgrade. 

John

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

Edited by johninderby

It's one I had in the parts box but know I have another one somewhere still in the packet. Will have a look for it. Pinion I'm using is a 3.17" 18t one but needs replacing with one with less teeth. Have ordered a 14t one that should work better. Overgeared at the moment.

John

Edited by johninderby

Looking good John. What tooth count is that spur? I am considering a brushless set up , either 17.5 or 21.5 oh so I can still use it on the rocks over winter.

14 hours ago, johninderby said:

The spur is a 56 tooth. The 32 dp gears are much stronger than the stock ones so should be usefull if going brushless. 

Cheers bud. 

Out of curiosity, do you know if you can either turn down or take off the drag brake on the stock esc? It's an animal and I am waiting to rip a diff apart. 

14 hours ago, johninderby said:

17 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Can't see any way of changing it in the instruction manual so it looks like probably not.

John

I couldn't find it either but just in case you knew the esc. Thanks anyways bud. 

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Put the 14t pinion gear in and gave it a run around the garden. Has really woken it up. :D Wants to wheely now across the grass. Torque twist is a bit of a problem now though. 

Unfortunatey camera battery was flat but but now on charge. 

John

Mine came with. 14tooth on it.