• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Stampede 4x4

shdaxner

I am using 12mm alloy hex's now & having no problems with wheels, rounded a few wheels when using plastic ones though. My issue now is breaking drive pins that attach the drive shaft to the output from the diff shaft.

Only on 2S

The supplied pinions were 11t and 17t if I remember correctly.

17t was just mental and 11t felt a bit slow so I put a 14 or 15t in that seemed a good compromise.

Yeah well I have fitted the 17t for now with the fan on the motor also to see what it is like speed/temps wise.

Going to tape and shoe goo the shell then I can take it for a bash to my local BMX track  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have any recommendations for motor/ESC combos in these? 

The Castle setup was running quite hot yesterday and went into thermal cutoff a couple of times so need something which is more manly I think.

I love the setup I use

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161533579786&globalID=EBAY-GB

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221739468485&globalID=EBAY-GB

Run it on 3s all day long on a 16/54 plenty quick and plenty cool

Or the other end of the scale is a tekin pro 4 3000kv and a matching esc but thats silly money

I love the setup I use

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161533579786&globalID=EBAY-GB

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221739468485&globalID=EBAY-GB

Run it on 3s all day long on a 16/54 plenty quick and plenty cool

Or the other end of the scale is a tekin pro 4 3000kv and a matching esc but thats silly money

Nice!

What modifications are required to fit this combo then?

Sad to say it but i dont have a pic of what i trimmed but i do have a pic of how it looks all in 

DSC01841_zpse279e4b4.jpg

Its very little you need to trim just a touch of the center cover so the end of the motor clears 

These are rpm revolver stablemax 17mm wheels and a set of HPI bullet mt tyres on them 

DSC02129_zps613fdda0.jpg

Or you can do the wheel mod and chopt the outer bead of the wheel and trim the tyre like this 

DSC01932_zpsdcf37edd.jpg

with outer bead 

DSC01930_zps6ba024d3.jpg outer bead gone 

DSC01935_zpsb0c88bd8.jpg see the line on the tyre you cut that off so it ends like this 

DSC01936_zps571f5b7b.jpg then mount them up as normal 

or nowadays you can go the easy route and just buy the proline 17mm 2.8 wheel 

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-f-11-2.8-traxxas-style-bead-black-wheels-17mm-hex/rc-car-products/387705

and just add what tyre you like from the 2.8 range 

Past 6 weeks I've broke pins , shafts , split centre shaft , rounded wheel hexes , ripped tyres .........................

But had fun !

So ...

Ordered t bone centre shaft

MIPS all way round

But unsure on wheels

I think the 17mm option is a good one as it will cure the hex issue and plus buggy and truggy

On road and off road , there's loads of options

My traxxas ultimate alloy uprights have 1.5mm of slop from years of previous use so will replace them but otherwise it's an awesome truck

Impressed that much that I'll probably sell on my savage alza flux xl as I've not touched it at all !!

Yeah I have seen these but I am useless at gluing wheels/tyres so wanted preglued jobbies....Im going to see how it runs on 2s at the moment temp wise on the gearing I currently have it on - if it is OK then I won't even bother with 3 cell.

Did you run it on 2s or 3s when you had it mate?

You are only as good as the glue you use lol, if you buy the hpi rc tyre glue you'll be fine cos it comes with a long nozzle that's hair thick at the tip to get right into the bead.

I've tried other glue cheaper ones and made a right mess of my proline tyres the glue reacted with the rubber and turned yellow it was horrible. But seriously the hpi stuff makes it really easy.

Missed this build thread! It's looking awesome, a Stampede 4x4 has always been one of those rc's that I've fancied getting but never bothered. I really like how versatile they are.

Now is the time mate they are cheap as chips in Germany. You can get the 4x4 brushed rtr version for

Past 6 weeks I've broke pins , shafts , split centre shaft , rounded wheel hexes , ripped tyres .........................

But had fun !

So ...

Ordered t bone centre shaft

MIPS all way round

But unsure on wheels

I think the 17mm option is a good one as it will cure the hex issue and plus buggy and truggy

On road and off road , there's loads of options

My traxxas ultimate alloy uprights have 1.5mm of slop from years of previous use so will replace them but otherwise it's an awesome truck

Impressed that much that I'll probably sell on my savage alza flux xl as I've not touched it at all !!

I think dollar hobbies sell the ultimate rear hubs for

Just got my set of xo1 shafts and 17mm hubs but not fitted them just yet

I got some traxxas jato wheels ..... Wow what a difference it makes

There smaller in height as compared to the trenchers so this makes it a tad slower but a lot cooler motor temps and is brilliant to drive now , so much more control and the run times have gone way up too

Not as much wheelieing though

It's really opened it up !!! Had such a blast and now I'm even happier !!!!

Not too keen on going 17mm as the 1/8 buggy wheels will be a bit heavier so will reduce all the run time ect and temps will probably go up

Any ways here's a not so good photo of it with the wheels on

d083b6a1945fd3203de0f9ada7c187c7.jpg

• Like 1

Looks awesome pal....you should of asked about wheels, I have a set of proline road rages on desperado wheels with 12mm hex which would of been spot on for it.

I've sort of put mine on the back burner for now as it's far too pedestrian on 2s with this combo so I am undecided which way I'm going to go....hobbywing sc8 + hobbywing 4000kv 4 pole on 2s or lower kv bigger can on 3s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers pal

Just bought a brand new set of mashers and the front wheels catch on the stone guards!!! What a bummer but as I say , big improvement with these wheels

It's wild on 2s and not needed to try 3s

Tempted to put 4800kv in see what it's like ......

Frightening ........

Ye 4000kv in it now

And getting that 4800kv

Made it more .... Erm ...... Street ?????

fd6ef2031bef5ad4a37173bb2752ab62.jpg

It's not my usual style but kinda works I think

Thoughts guys ?

Looks awesome....would be better in colour  :whistling: