• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rudeboy's DBXL Brushless Conversion

rudeboy

2028's and 8s are a perfect mix in my experience, work excellently in our badgers with the xl2 :)

If wanting to use mechanical brakes, you need to channel mix the brake servo with the ESC. Personally, I set ESC brake force low, and J turn to stop/allow run off. The 5ive came to a stop under its own weight, merely by steering left and right as it slowed, lol.

Edited by Noj

What's the weight of the dbxl? Iirc, 17kg max weight for the xl2. 'Only' 8s capable, however, that combo initially threw my 5ive around quite well tbh, the dbxl is lighter....comes down to warranty IF the ESC expires....

Well a little bit of progress today but not too much, power plant has been decided thanks too saviown for giving me a good deal on a 2028 780kv and XL2 combo so looks like it'll be running 8S for now, still plan on getting the alien ESC and possibly running 10S when funds allow,

IMG_2055_zps34fcd2b1.jpg

IMG_2054_zps23fa7667.jpg

Also gutted it ready for the brushless conversion which I'm hopeful will arrive this week providing customs don't hold onto it for too long

IMG_2082_zpsa0dbe055.jpg

IMG_2083_zps3664f776.jpg

Made up a front window out of red mirrored perspex, what you guys think yay or nay? undecided myself, may make up some side ones also but like I say not sure yet.

IMG_2087_zps57c5a558.jpg

IMG_2091_zps8c363da6.jpg

And last but not least these arrived today  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

IMG_2092_zps749d5761.jpg

still to get tyres yet, hopefully have this up and running by the weekend all depends on the conversion kit turning up so here's hoping.

• Like 1

Neither, lol.

Having the cap pack dictates using an antispark really, tho, one of ours is kaputt, which makes for 'interesting' connection with spark and loud crack.

I've tried varying resistors without success; corbs10 has sorted the right one out, however, is holding the info VERY close to his chest.... ;)

Cap pack helps with ripple current = magic smoke

And resistor helps with no spark it takes it away so no sparks from lipo so a nice safe Esc without the voltage surge

Ok cheers for that, I've already ordered a cap pack but cant see the anti spark anywhere.

You make it yourself, wire, resistor, 4mm bullet (male) with a male 4mm connector on one of the pair of packs.

Bez has done a 'how to' guide in the Tutorials section, there seems to be debate about which size of resisitor is correct, however... Or maybe that's just me. Iirc, my working one is 1ohm, 5w resistor, however, I fitted what I thought was an equivalent to our other xl2, and it ain't working...

thats exactly what the guys abouve were just talking about doing fella ;)

aye but there version or at least the one in the tutorial requires fitting a small wire and bullet to your packs also, this method above negates the need for the extra wire and bullet on the pack

Don't know why the manufacturers don't just build in a connection that utilises a balance lead from one of your lipos. That connection could then also be used as an LVC that monitors individual cells.

• Like 1

aye but there version or at least the one in the tutorial requires fitting a small wire and bullet to your packs also, this method above negates the need for the extra wire and bullet on the pack

looks like the same thing to me, unless i'm missing something