• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Buying drift stuff abroad

matt5mith

Anyone bought anything from banzaiHobby.com? What's their service like, any good? Is it expensive to ship? I'm thinking about buying a few things like a Sanwa tx/rx, a keyence Tao2 with brain, a chevalier boost and perhaps an Overdose bodyshell.

Edited by matt5mith

I would say buying that sort of stuff is worth getting from Tetsujin in Japan. If you dont get caught by customs then its a fair bit cheaper. Soul have a lot of that stuff if not all but can be costly since you end up paying the standard customs tax on top. If you go via the Tetsujin page, you should end up speaking to Ando who should be able to help you with payment etc.

You dont NEED the TAO2 etc but nice to have later down the line. 

Thats just it. The Keyence range is so advanced, trying to get to grips with it is not really something for the feint hearted. Most people buy it and copy other peoples settings. I wouldn't bother getting it just yet. We been drifting for a few years and all of us run Keyence ESC and motor and not even bothered getting the TAO/Brain just yet. 

I would say starting out, get the essentials and work more on technique. If you budget caters for the TAO, go for it but honestly with the Keyence range, its more of a fine tuning tool. Im running factory settings without the Chevalier boost cap and any sort of programming but its the smoothest thing ive ever used since the birth of the wheel alongside being able to keep up with some of the finest drivers who hit soul (not all just yet) but mainly its down to setup and technique. Not saying don't buy it but that sort of stuff wont really benefit you till later.

If you are starting up and want something that will serve you well and have a generous budget get the following

MST XX-D HT VIP

OR

You could go for the new MST RMX VIP but its super new, not all the parts are available in terms of spares and upgrades. Seems to be a lot more complex so for someone starting out, it might not be the best idea.

Sanwa MT4 or the M12 if your budget allows

Keyence ESC. Standard cap is good enough

Keyence 10.5T BS or non BS motor

As for your choice in Overdose shells, as long as its not the JZX100, you be fine. JZX100 is also made by HPI with the same detail etc as they are made in the same mould. ;-)

Good advice and ill take it. You've just saved me a bomb, ta muchly!!

So far I've bought and am just waiting for it to arrive an xxx-d pro ht (bit of a bargain off a mate who'd never even built it up, its currently floating somewhere within our mail system), a pearl black keyence tachyon airia ESC, OMG digital low profile brushless servo and the Acuvance luxon dual BS brushless motor (10.5). Thought I may as well start with some good stuff. Next purchase is the tx/rx setup and am looking to go for the mt4/rx471 and a decent lipo battery. Then a shell and tonnes of practice (read; leaning on everyone I can for tips!!)

To be honest it was that particular shell I was interested in, how would you rate the Yokomo shells? There's one or two of them that I like too

Edited by matt5mith

Good job. You'll be running with the best of us with practice. The key to drifting is control of your car through throttle not steering. Will make more sense when ya get running.

Yokomo shells are nice, just annoying that the light buckets are not supplied! Quality and detail is good. Some split in common places like my Laurel but that was after months of abuse. My preference is Yokomo shells even at their price.

Sweet. Soul is a bit of a mission for the team and I but like to try and get there either on a Weds or a Sat if we can. Let me know when the goodies arrive :)

Some goodies have landed at last. It took a few weeks to get it but the chassis has arrived now, good old royal mail.

So far, I've got the chassis, the esc and the servo sitting here. As I'd made what I'd say is a good saving, i bought the ali uprights front and rear, the carbon battery holder-strap-thingy and got stronger spur gear bits after speaking with James and Mitto. They said to stick with the standard cs it comes with for now as I'm new to it all. I've got the motor on pre order and have just nailed the plastic and got myself a Sanwa with the rx-471, again because I'd made a decent saving on the chassis, and am waiting for it to arrive.

When my mate said he'd never used the chassis I didn't realise he'd never even opened any of the numbered parts bags with the exception of the instruction manual. Bargain at

Hi mate, not sure what the DiB is but the Tao brain is a wireless card for inputting settings to the esc. Basically bluetooths the settings across without requiring plugging in. Have a look on banzaihobby, it's listed under the Tao 2

Edited by matt5mith