• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking to repair an old Tamiya Grasshopper

elfergos

I was having a clean out recently and came across my old RC car. It had stopped working at some point during the mid 90's, not sure why but, the motor did constantly keep breaking free of its wires requiring constant re-soldering (a problem when you didn't own a soldering iron!) but amazingly the wires seem to have been attached. Aside from the odd piece of rust, battery acid damage and broken antenna on the remote control and the rubber band holding the receiver completely disintegrating it doesn't look too bad and I was curious to see if I could get it back up and running. I am probably going to need a new battery, and the charger disappeared at some point in the annals of history, the suspension is pretty rusted but I am missing the following screws:

Screw 1:

273c0431-c6ed-4dee-8cad-d25a8cad7f62_zps

Screw 2:

87362c3f-8cd6-41bf-bc9e-a38fc0148001_zps

Position on Axle:

62b493d2-5904-4496-b617-9acdc7f2b33d_zps

I found the following screws on modelsports.co.uk:

50582.jpg

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-3x14mm-step-tapping-screw-5-/rc-car-products/13279

These are listed as 14mm tapping screws, there is also a 21mm tapping screw available from the same place but there is no picture. Are these the screws I am looking for?

Welcome to the forum mate :)

Have a read of the manual here bud (I've had a read and to make it easier turn to page 6 and 9 :P )

Screw 1 looks different to the one in the manual and it also shows as 12mm,but i should have both in my spares somewhere (PM me your address i'll chuck some in the post for you :good: )

Screw 2 is the pin screw which i might have but cannot promise.If you do need to purchase new ones the part number is 9805755

:D

Thanks for the help. BTW is there a better way of fixing the receiver to the chassis? I have noticed a double sided tape is available, it seems curious that this component isn't attached with screws like all the other pieces.

Screw 2 is the pin screw which i might have but cannot promise.If you do need to purchase new ones the part number is 9805755

Part 9805755 looks wrong, the threads are by the head as opposed to the tip, however part 9805729 looks about right (described as 21mm tapping screw)

Edited by elfergos