• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

South West Indoor RC - and the *SATURDAY SUMMER RACE DAYS*

MattyV6

About 5 and a half hours drive away lol but might have a "holiday" around that area so you never know i might just turn up one raceway lol

Ahhh a fair old drive then although a "holiday" does sound interesting, your mrs will ask sooooo many questions lol!. There's plenty of place to stay down this way :)

At the moment i think there's around 15 drivers that are now up for making this a regular weekly meet and the numbers will hopefully grow :)

Gives me a reason to not sell the mad monkey. Matty not ignoring your PM on maxbashing just silly busy in the evenings at the moment.. the only real time I get on the internet is when I'm slacking at work lol.

Jony, depending on days etc I could give you lifts. You might need to get to st austell or something or we can work out diesel money...

And looking at the other comments I'd be up for getting a 10th SCT for using too.... makes me need to reassess my plans to sell up and buy a savage flux tho lol

p.s. you're only 30 minutes away.... maybe I will get into racing after all....

Definitely come and race if you already have car, a Mad Monkey would fit right in dude! Its 80% going to be 2wd buggies but we will be running a short course class or if the sc driver numbers a low we will run a mixed class. 

I hope so, racing is fun diesel not a problem and can get dropped off as well.

Will be good to get some of you guys down racing :)

I'll be putting directions and picture directions up on the FB page this week :)

• Like 1

There's some more updates on the FB page :)

Scaffold tower goes up this morning to fit all the lights properly :), a week later than expected but this is down to not having time with work. My day is literally 7am to 11pm every day so fitting everything in is a complete mission but its getting there now :).

Keep updated via our FB page......Link below :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-West-Indoor-RC/262447823948047

• Like 1

Cool, gonna have to start looking for a 1/10 to play with apart from my Short course trucks

Same lol! All my stuff is 1/8th

Opple seems the place to pick up very good 1/10th buggies. A few KF's on there over the last week :)

Get buying something dude its going to be a sweet weekly meet.

Going to be doing a BBQ in the hot summer months. Good quality food and cheap :)

• Like 1

I've got a newer RC10 arriving tomorrow to bring along :-) hope to be there most weeks from 7th, unfortunately I'm working on your opening night :-( I'll bring a short course truck along too, but looking forward to racing 2wd 1/10 buggy again! Very pleased this is the main class (and that you are so close!) :-D

Edited by belms

Same lol! All my stuff is 1/8th

Opple seems the place to pick up very good 1/10th buggies. A few KF's on there over the last week :)

Get buying something dude its going to be a sweet weekly meet.

Going to be doing a BBQ in the hot summer months. Good quality food and cheap :)

Yeah thats where i brought my schumacher sv2 from

I've got a newer RC10 arriving tomorrow to bring along :-) hope to be there most weeks from 7th, unfortunately I'm working on your opening night :-( I'll bring a short course truck along too, but looking forward to racing 2wd 1/10 buggy again! Very pleased this is the main class (and that you are so close!) :-D

Yes definately bring the short course because your be able to fit straight into the SC/Mixed class if you wanted to drive in that too :)

Almost everyone ive spoken to runs 2wd with a few that run 4wd so 2wd is going to be probs 80% of the cars that race and the most competitive (although i'm expecting to start at the back of the starting grid so i will be battling not to get lapped more than to win lol)

Your RC10 is going to be EPIC!

I am genuinely overwhelmed with how may people want to race. I really didnt think it would get as much interest as it has, this is truly brilliant :) 

I really want ago at that tracks, if I'm down on holiday I might pack and rc a pop over.

You are deffo more than welcome to and if its not on a race night and your passing just let me know and i will take you down for a go :)

Its open every week throughout the year so deffo pop in if your this way dude :)

Yeah thats where i brought my schumacher sv2 from

You need to get in quick though, theres many people hitting the refresh button on that site to pick up a bargain. I'm still on the hunt :(

Brilliant car by the way :)

• Like 1

Yes definately bring the short course because your be able to fit straight into the SC/Mixed class if you wanted to drive in that too :)

Almost everyone ive spoken to runs 2wd with a few that run 4wd so 2wd is going to be probs 80% of the cars that race and the most competitive (although i'm expecting to start at the back of the starting grid so i will be battling not to get lapped more than to win lol)

Your RC10 is going to be EPIC!

I am genuinely overwhelmed with how may people want to race. I really didnt think it would get as much interest as it has, this is truly brilliant :)  

Certainly will do. At this rate I'll be turning up with a boot full of cars! Hopefully there will be enough interest to run a vintage/classic class... That would be really awesome :-D Either that or a monthly vintage special for those of us that raced in the 80's and 90's... at least that way I stand a chance of keeping up every now and then! ;-)

Certainly will do. At this rate I'll be turning up with a boot full of cars! Hopefully there will be enough interest to run a vintage/classic class... That would be really awesome :-D Either that or a monthly vintage special for those of us that raced in the 80's and 90's... at least that way I stand a chance of keeping up every now and then! ;-)

I was at round 1 of oople this year and they had an rc10 class that was drawing a lot of attention from all views. It was a controlled race with everyone using a 17.5t motor and it was by far better racing to view and the drives all looked like they had a good time. I can see the rc10 class becoming very popular.
  • Like 1

Is the track brca?

Tbh this is something ive got to take a look at as I've literally no idea of the benefits or even the downsides?

Ive looked on their site but struggling to find any info. I've found the Club manual so will give that a download :)

Yes bring them all, blow the dust off them!

This is another option that i thought if there's enough interest that we could put on a separate vintage night. There will be a separate vintage class every Thursday eve so i'm looking forward to who will be racing in this class. I might also stand a chance in the vintage class, slow and steady is my style lol. 

I was at round 1 of oople this year and they had an rc10 class that was drawing a lot of attention from all views. It was a controlled race with everyone using a 17.5t motor and it was by far better racing to view and the drives all looked like they had a good time. I can see the rc10 class becoming very popular.

This is very good to hear. I might push the Vintage/Classic class a little bit more. I will get an advert made up and promote it a bit more and like Belms says try and get a dedicated evening to it maybe? 

For me this is where my racing all started so i'm very keen to relive some of this :) I will do some more research and see what we can work out :)

I'm planning on buying a Losi 22 2.0 in the next couple of weeks for buggy racing, and a Ten SCTE 2.0 for short course.

Having a 1/10 track relatively local has got my competative rc juices going lol

Yes, brilliant cars!! :)

There's a few good 1/10th scales coming up for sale recently that would fit straight in.

The one thing i wll say is if your buying a second hand Losi 22.2 make sure it has the parts to convert it to mid motor config if not already in that set up as this track is suited to mid motor cars with the tighter track although rear motor is ok too.

My new buggy will be mid motor and the vintage rear :)

Edited by MattyV6
  • Like 1

Tbh this is something ive got to take a look at as I've literally no idea of the benefits or even the downsides?

Ive looked on their site but struggling to find any info. I've found the Club manual so will give that a download :)

Yes bring them all, blow the dust off them!

This is another option that i thought if there's enough interest that we could put on a separate vintage night. There will be a separate vintage class every Thursday eve so i'm looking forward to who will be racing in this class. I might also stand a chance in the vintage class, slow and steady is my style lol.

This is very good to hear. I might push the Vintage/Classic class a little bit more. I will get an advert made up and promote it a bit more and like Belms says try and get a dedicated evening to it maybe?

For me this is where my racing all started so i'm very keen to relive some of this :) I will do some more research and see what we can work out :)

My new buggy will be mid motor and the vintage rear :)

I had a spare five minutes, and had a look at the BRCA club manual

http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.org/files/library_files/BRCAchairman/Club%20Manual%20Text%20(1)_0.pdf

It appears the main benefit is the sidestepping of personal liability for you as owner; the downside is you have to organise a committee. I only had a brief look, so someone else may be able to comment further.

I wonder whether there are many other racers in Cornwall/S.Devon with vintage/classic/re-re cars... You'd only need another couple to make promoting a class/special event worth it :-) It was noted above that the oople RC10 class was popular... You would have to think about restrictions though, no point in running a vintage class then someone rocks up with a low-turn brushless setup and wins hands down!! I think oople have a motor turn limit etc.. This meeting have a very sensible set of guidelines: http://revival.a1racingclub.com/classic-racing.html

Might be worth a look if you think the interest is there... I might have to change motor etc. in the RC10 classic depending (currently a 23T sports tuned brushed, with a very basic ESC - it's slow even compared to a basic RTR brushless, but a little faster than a 540 silver can..)

What car is your vintage? Or are you on the lookout to get one? I also have a Tamiya Hornet, which would be great fun to run, but no chance of winning anything... (basic NIMH batteries last for ages in that thing!)

What car is your vintage? Or are you on the lookout to get one? I also have a Tamiya Hornet, which would be great fun to run, but no chance of winning anything... (basic NIMH batteries last for ages in that thing!)

Do an endurance race, most laps in an hour.... slow and steady! :)

• Like 1

I had a spare five minutes, and had a look at the BRCA club manual

http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.org/files/library_files/BRCAchairman/Club%20Manual%20Text%20(1)_0.pdf

It appears the main benefit is the sidestepping of personal liability for you as owner; the downside is you have to organise a committee. I only had a brief look, so someone else may be able to comment further.

I wonder whether there are many other racers in Cornwall/S.Devon with vintage/classic/re-re cars... You'd only need another couple to make promoting a class/special event worth it :-) It was noted above that the oople RC10 class was popular... You would have to think about restrictions though, no point in running a vintage class then someone rocks up with a low-turn brushless setup and wins hands down!! I think oople have a motor turn limit etc.. This meeting have a very sensible set of guidelines: http://revival.a1racingclub.com/classic-racing.html

Might be worth a look if you think the interest is there... I might have to change motor etc. in the RC10 classic depending (currently a 23T sports tuned brushed, with a very basic ESC - it's slow even compared to a basic RTR brushless, but a little faster than a 540 silver can..)

Thanks Barry i've not had a chance to look at the BRCA, thank you for the link :). I really dont want to have all the politics and possible hassle of forming a committee. I will have to sit down and look into this :/. I've got public liability insurance so i will see what i'm covered for. I'll probs need to pay extra, nothings cheap lol.

I'm going to try and grab 10 mins later and have a deeper look into the vintage class. Its something i really want to run and it would be brilliant to have a vintage class.

I agree, any vintage class (to keep it authentic to the retro status) will have rules on motors. Its only fair that way. If people want to run a powerful brushless set up they will need to enter a modern buggy. I really do think the vintage class has a place :)

I'm still to get a vintage set up :(. I'm on the hunt for an original losi xx but I'm thinking of buying the same and going for a re re RC10 Worlds edition. 

Do an endurance race, most laps in an hour.... slow and steady! :)

This would be fun but i reckon things would start to melt even going slow and steady lol.

I've got to get a car to melt first lol

• Like 1

Thanks Barry i've not had a chance to look at the BRCA, thank you for the link :). I really dont want to have all the politics and possible hassle of forming a committee. I will have to sit down and look into this :/. I've got public liability insurance so i will see what i'm covered for. I'll probs need to pay extra, nothings cheap lol.

I'm going to try and grab 10 mins later and have a deeper look into the vintage class. Its something i really want to run and it would be brilliant to have a vintage class.

I agree, any vintage class (to keep it authentic to the retro status) will have rules on motors. Its only fair that way. If people want to run a powerful brushless set up they will need to enter a modern buggy. I really do think the vintage class has a place :)

I'm still to get a vintage set up :(. I'm on the hunt for an original losi xx but I'm thinking of buying the same and going for a re re RC10 Worlds edition

I can understand that ;-) the main thing insurance, so as long as that's in place it's a start, but good to check it over though.

I'm super-pleased with the re re RC10 Classic (gold pan), however, I've read very good things about the re re Worlds too - and I think it has standard modern-sized wheels (which the gold pan hasn't), so it will be much easier to kit out in that respect. I believe it also has a steath gearbox as opposed to the 6-gear One I have, so will stand up to brushless etc better (vintage rules allowing!)

With the prospect of a vintage class I've been window shopping on ebay, and the old bid-finger-slip happened last night on a vintage 1992 Schumacher Cougar (almost the same model as the car I raced years ago) and Acoms radio gear, in what appears to be top-notch condition... Eagerly awaiting the postie now, and trying to avoid a slightly miffed wife (I already have enough cars apparently! :-P ) so, once I've given it a once-over and got it set up, hope to bring that too! :-D

I can understand that ;-) the main thing insurance, so as long as that's in place it's a start, but good to check it over though.

I'm super-pleased with the re re RC10 Classic (gold pan), however, I've read very good things about the re re Worlds too - and I think it has standard modern-sized wheels (which the gold pan hasn't), so it will be much easier to kit out in that respect. I believe it also has a steath gearbox as opposed to the 6-gear One I have, so will stand up to brushless etc better (vintage rules allowing!)

With the prospect of a vintage class I've been window shopping on ebay, and the old bid-finger-slip happened last night on a vintage 1992 Schumacher Cougar (almost the same model as the car I raced years ago) and Acoms radio gear, in what appears to be top-notch condition... Eagerly awaiting the postie now, and trying to avoid a slightly miffed wife (I already have enough cars apparently! :-P ) so, once I've given it a once-over and got it set up, hope to bring that too! :-D

I will have a real real through all the info, I'm just not too keen on going to some of the lengths that the BRCA expect you to do. Its been hard enough getting it to this stage lol.

Ahhh nice one!! You really have the full vintage set up! Are you planning on running it as it is and running the Acoms radio gear? Is that running crystals? I can not wait to see it! Does it come with spares? I bet that is bringing back some memories! Just tell the mrs you have swapped it for one of your other ones with someone else lol!

I really dont know what to go for dude and time is running out :/

I'm now looking hard on Ebay. Ive found some Shumachers and a few other vintage cars but just dont know what to get. I think i'm going to just do what you have done. I cant have a track without a car lol! Literally all my stuff is 8th scale.

I still fancy the RC10 Worlds. I love the original but like you say the Worlds is just a little better

Edited by MattyV6

I will have a real real through all the info, I'm just not too keen on going to some of the lengths that the BRCA expect you to do. Its been hard enough getting it to this stage lol.

Ahhh nice one!! You really have the full vintage set up! Are you planning on running it as it is and running the Acoms radio gear? Is that running crystals? I can not wait to see it! Does it come with spares? I bet that is bringing back some memories! Just tell the mrs you have swapped it for one of your other ones with someone else lol!

I'm now looking hard on Ebay. Ive found some Shumachers and a few other vintage cars but just dont know what to get. I think i'm going to just do what you have done. I cant have a track without a car lol! Literally all my stuff is 8th scale.

I still fancy the RC10 Worlds. I love the original but like you say the Worlds is just a little better

If your not looking for a vintage check oople out i got my schumacher sv2 motor esc and servo for

Here is the 'new' Cougar...

14589455538_9573f77932.jpg

1992 Schumacher Cougar Club 10 Turbo by b_elms

14589611527_4d2068e792.jpg

1992 Schumacher Cougar Club 10 Turbo by b_elms

Arrived today! Hardly used, only a few scratches on the underside, just needs a bit of a dust off and a shock rebuild as the oil has leaked out of the front shocks. Seller said it has been in a box for 20 years! As you can see, I've got the radio gear in and ready to go - yes, old school Acoms (Yellow crystal, no 4). The BEC is missing from the semi-mechanical speed controller, so I've ordered a receiver battery box for now, just to get it going.

I expect I'll use the RC10 more though. Often a trouble with real vintage is getting the spares (none came with it) - at least with the RC10 Classic and Worlds, because they've been re-released, spares will be easy to get for quite some time. Worlds will probably be 'better' for racing, however, if you're only using it in the vintage class, then a gold pan would be awesome - that's why I got one!

Here's the gold pan:

14776164945_ef538f3fcb.jpg

RC10 Classic by b_elms

I built the Classic in about a day - MS don't have them in stock (but they did have the Worlds when I last looked), however I think Wheelspin models have them in. If you'd love one, get one :-D I don't regret it!

I'm the opposite, I have no 1/8th scale at all, I've only got 1/10th. That's why I've been using the short course truck at Plymouth, as it's that much bigger. I do plan on taking a 1/10th buggy tomorrow evening though to see how it goes, along with the SCT.

Edited by belms

Just brought a Hobao H2 kit to keep me busy for the next few nights. Can't wait to run it on the track, should be interesting!! :)

Wish I still had my old RC10, fitted with an RPM chassis... That was a joy to own. Gonna have to chuck some electrics in my old RC10 T2 for a blast one night!

• Like 1

Just brought a Hobao H2 kit to keep me busy for the next few nights. Can't wait to run it on the track, should be interesting!! :)

Wish I still had my old RC10, fitted with an RPM chassis... That was a joy to own. Gonna have to chuck some electrics in my old RC10 T2 for a blast one night!

Shame you don't still have the RC10. Good you have the T2 though - I was planning on taking my T4 along most weeks in case any other trucks turned up :) I ran it at the Plymouth track on Wednesday and had a great time - I really like the AE trucks; trucks are not the best looking class, but they are a great laugh to drive! :-D