• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to nitro

Sambecky1989

Hi all

I'm 25 and decided to look into nitro rc as a new hobby

I owned hsp savagery few years ago but could not find parts for it only from Australia!!

Anyway I don't own one anymore but looking to get into it as a hobby as I can't work due to health issues

Just wondering what to go for

Money is a little tight but I don't want something cheap cheap that I can't get parts for etc

I looking towards 1/8 scale rc trucks as love the look of them

Any advise will be great

Many thanks

Hi, welcome along :) what sort of budget do you have?

When you say truck are you looking into monsters, truggys....

Thanks mate

Not 100% sure on budget yet as need to know what's out there :)

Hmmm love the look of monster trucks, basically I am looking at something that will go many places and over different variations of surfaces

monsters and truggys will certainly do that..

Good entry level kit, spares a plenty and a nice following

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-firestorm-10t-rtr/rc-car-products/39705

Second hand will see you save a penny or two but can be a can of worms with it being nitro etc

thank you mate that looks good

does it matter not being 4wd or is that not essential??

Sorry about the questions i new to it all apart from the nitro truck i owned years ago

are truggys the ones to go for over the monster trucks???

Thanks for your replies :)

4wd will always rip around better on all terrains I was just being cautious as too not scare you with huge prices lol these kits can get expensive..

The bullet looks great and reads well too but I haven't owned one of these, if you can stretch to

I love my bullet once I upgraded the shocks and hubs it's handled 6-7 foot backflips off my ramp with ease. I'll try get some vids for ya but for now here's some from my first bash, unfortunately I lost front wheel drive so was a little tricky to handle

• Like 1

As for the skill level it's not to bad mate plus this site is great for help. Just ask anytime mate

That's where I was with s50 gutted I didn't get a chance to jump it :(

I do agree with you on the value of buying 2nd hand mate not sure for your first nitro though. That way you have less risk plus a warrantee. Plus you get all the manuals and factory settings. That's just my opinion as I've had a far more problems with 2nd hand than new. hope I didn't offend you mate by saying this

Edited by Morpet
  • Like 1

I think second hand brill

But as above I think will buy new for first one and then in future second hand.

Just gives me time to get used to the way these things work and how to work on them etc

But for projects etc after my first one I will defiantly buy second hand

I went 2nd hand first and nearly gave up on nitro's until someone suggested getting a new bullet. now I'm well and truely hooked love the things!! But with this forum I'd be lost lol. you just need patience and be prepared to maintain them once you've got those your half way there mate

Oh and know how to use a screwdriver gently lols

Edited by Morpet
  • Like 1

I went 2nd hand first and nearly gave up on nitro's until someone suggested getting a new bullet. now I'm well and truely hooked love the things!! But with this forum I'd be lost lol. you just need patience and be prepared to maintain them once you've got those your half way there mateOh and know how to use a screwdriver gently lols

Cheers mate I love doing little bits n bobs that take patience etc

I am also really interested in the scale models aswell but that's another topic haha

Want to start on playing with the nitro stuff first maybe have look into building scale models in the future.

I went second hand for my first and nitro, so you could say things were against me from the offset.It was a total nightmare, but looking back i think even if it had been new those problems would have or could have existed, or cropped up for me at some point.I still have that buggy now and it ran- possibly better than ever! It ended up being converted to brushless for something to do over winter and also to make way for another second hand nitro truggy lol 

The truggy was nothing like the first, had been well looked after- started first time, runs sweet- it wasnt perfect but i got a fantastic deal, off this forum coincedentally. 

I guess what im trying to say is either way there will be a learning curve- and nitro needs learning lol. Even an rtr off the shelf can have you pulling your hair out, starting, running, tuning etc  a quick look on the forums shows that....

Really its down to what your budget is and how much time you have,whether you like to tinker etc i will be honest and say i have only ever bought 2 cars new- the rest have come second hand, from this forum and i have never been dissapointed.

If your starting new id do as suggested- save up a budget, ask around, look around on you tube, galleries and see what you like the look of, once you have an idea of how much you want to spend and what to spend it on -im sure youll get what you want  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I got second hand nitro (hyper ss) from a member here and it's been great, so much so that I bought 2 non running spares/repairs hyper7's off eBay. They had been abused and never maintained IMO but I have ended up with a great running hyper with new radio gear for

• Like 1