• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Scrumpy's madforce brushless conversion

scrumpy jack

yup...just use one of the trays...and chop chop chop !

cool, will have to order one at some point...is there much difference running 2 x 2's or 1x 4's? was just going to use a 4's seems less hassel using a single battery and less charging time? 

no need to order dude...just use the tray you have...

single 4s neater yes...I use a fly lead so I have the option of both

Er...have you been on the funny pills today buddy?! I believe my truck was the nitro version- hence why this thread exists!! HA HA HA!! you doughnut!! 

Did some more this morning...

slot cut in chassis for spur and motor mount holes drilled...

SAM_5277_zpseeba401c.jpg

Diff mounted  :thumbsup:  really pleased with it, feels lovely and solid and drive line as smooth as a baby's bum. Dog bones fit lovely, may just pop a couple of bits of fuel tube in the diff cups anyway to keep them snug. hoping motor will arrive today at some point.

SAM_5279_zps16b907a0.jpg

diffs have savage spider gears in..and shimmed- can't remember what oil I put in them though! centre diff has oil in - no idea what mind (as I got it from R45) The front and rear diffs were all good when it was nitro, so will leave them at the moment, and maybe play about with oils once I do a few test runs.

it will wheelie at any speed...you can tame it with throttle control...but when you approach top speed...the front will still go light and your front tyres will go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOING ! 

it will make you smile every time you use it ! and anyone else who sees it  :hahadance:

nice..  :dribble:  one thing I was going to ask- the ESC I'm getting has a BEC in it, which from what I have read eliminates the need for a hump pack to power the servo and receiver?...so does it make a significant difference to the run times? can I still use a hump pack even though the ESC has the BEC? what would be an average runtime you get from a 5000mah 4's you think?

I would use an external BEC rather than the one in the ESC...some ESCS have very poor ones...so the steering servo struggles a bit...

it makes no difference to run times...as you are carrying less weight by not having a hump pack

4s on your truck will last long enough....20 mins average...of course depends on surface and driving style.

pinions all packed up to post out bud...12-13-15-16 Teefs  :thumbsup: whack em down the PO tomorrow 

I would use an external BEC rather than the one in the ESC...some ESCS have very poor ones...so the steering servo struggles a bit...

it makes no difference to run times...as you are carrying less weight by not having a hump pack

4s on your truck will last long enough....20 mins average...of course depends on surface and driving style.

pinions all packed up to post out bud...12-13-15-16 Teefs :thumbsup: whack em down the PO tomorrow

If you're doing the uBEC tip, you'd best explain about how and why you separate the two voltages.

I use a short servo extension and remove the red pin from that. Then programme cards can still be used with the ESC.

pinions all packed up to post out bud...12-13-15-16 Teefs  :thumbsup: whack em down the PO tomorrow 

Thanks buddy much appreciated. So forgetting all this BEC lark, I'm quite happy to use a hump pack still..so it's no problem running the esc with a normal hump pack setup powering the receiver and servos? 

Thanks buddy much appreciated. So forgetting all this BEC lark, I'm quite happy to use a hump pack still..so it's no problem running the esc with a normal hump pack setup powering the receiver and servos?

No, it is not. In fact I'd recommend against it.

You're not running a Nitro now, you need to learn how this stuff works.

Welcome to the dark side, bring your own bloody cookies! ;)

No, it is not. In fact I'd recommend against it.

You're not running a Nitro now, you need to learn how this stuff works.

Welcome to the dark side, bring your own bloody cookies! ;)

Point noted  :thumbsup: so what sort of BEC thingy do I need, and why is it a bad idea to run a hump pack?

Right, I'd only just got in from a run, hence the sort answer earlier. Now I'm showered and ready to type.

The BEC will power most radio set-ups. A savox servo can cause issues, but this can usually be sorted with a Rx cap. Your best option is a uBEC, this takes power directly from the main battery and siphons a bit off to feed the radio gear. It'll do this by feeding voltage into the Rx via the central pin on the Rx. However, your ESCs BEC will be trying to do the same and if they meet in the middle, the weaker of the two will fry. Usually the internal BEC of the ESC. So to avoid this happening you need to keep the two voltages apart, this is usually done by removing the red pin on the Rx plug of the ESC.

That's OK, except if you want to plug a pit-card into the ESC. Then the pit-card won't work because the red pin that would've given it a feed has now been removed. That's why I mentioned using a short servo extension cable earlier.

All of the above also applies to using a hump pack.

This making sense? There's a sticky in the leccy section on BECs, well worth a read.

Ah, yep that makes sense...that's why I was asking about using a hump pack as I figured the esc must be shoving power through into the receiver- didn't know whether you could turn the function off on the ESC, I'm guessing you cant do that then. Will have a read of the BEC sticky. The short servo leads sounds like the way to go as I will be getting a programming box.  :thumbsup:

Ah, yep that makes sense...that's why I was asking about using a hump pack as I figured the esc must be shoving power through into the receiver- didn't know whether you could turn the function off on the ESC, I'm guessing you cant do that then. Will have a read of the BEC sticky. The short servo leads sounds like the way to go as I will be getting a programming box. :thumbsup:

As far as I'm aware, it's only the top end ESCs that have that ability.

You can use a hump pack, just follow the same rules for connecting it up. And don't forget to charge it!;)

Just had a read of the sticky section, all makes good sense. At the moment the truck is still running the stock Kyosho servo  :whistling: so the esc's internal bec would probably be okay to power that I should think. I will be upgrading to a better servo though when funds allow, so will get one then.

Edited by scrumpy jack