• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How do

How do everyone. :good:

Names Neil,or Riley as im known about the car forums.Fancy a nitro on road car (done a little reading,dont know much if im honest) but im unsure on what i really need.

i dont mind a bit of tweaking/messing,as ive run cars (real ones! :ph34r: )on twin webers in the past.

Possibly looking at something quick,but also torquey for some drifting action.

Can anyone advise on the following?

Kyosho Pureten GP3,2 speed box with fancy pipe and manifold,running a gx15? engine.

im not sure exactly what that means as far as speed/torque?

Just any info on the above would be appreciated,even what the gp3 means :whistling:

cheers,Neil.

Cheers m8...

I have thought about off road,but there is some pretty smooth tarmac knocking about around my way and i really would like to pull some nice drifting off.

saying that i dont know much,can drifting still be done with an off roader? also id like something that a vw corrado shell will fit onto?

ps:forgive me im really not clued up but what are hop ups? modifications? :ph34r:

Cheers,Neil.

cheers craig :good: im a quick learner eh :D

Can anyone tell me if the above would be a good drift car? as long as the balance is good via adjustable camber/suspension etc obviously.

Any bits of info on the kyosho's? i dont really know what makes/models are about...

Neil.

you might not get as much help as its late, i would help but i know nothng about drrifting lol... in the morning i am sure there will be a lot of people that can help. you could try posting it in the drift section aswell, then you will get all the drift experts reading.

aye,no worries m8.

lack of sleep :helpsmilie: =plenty late night/early morning forum usage :blink::lol:

im not really looking for an out and out drift car i suppose,would like something pretty quick but that can be tweaked to drift if thats possible? pipe on the rims? or a propper drift tyre set?

cheers,Neil.

any onroad car tourer can be set up to drift, drifting tends to be an electric scene and tbh learning nitro while trying to drift will be a bit awkward

i know plenty of guys who fix real cars for a living but pull there hair out over a 3.5cc nitro engine lol

as for kyosho alot of uk suplliers don't bother with them no more so parts etc could be a pain in the ass to get hold of and the GP3 is the model of the car its a pure10 alpha which is pretty old tbh

u can get alot better nowadays, have a browse here http://www.modelsport.co.uk/

cheers for the link,will check it out :good:

im not familiar with models and wotnot,what would people suggest if im spending maybe £150 quid max on a secondhand set up?

Neil. :)

tbh some people go off the hobby and it nolonger interests them - like phase, others find nitro too stressful for or not worth the chew and ar'nt prepared to learn. So if u went 2nd hand atleast its not too much of a blow if a few weeks/months down the line if u decide u can't be bothered with rc

the downside to 2nd hand is that u don't really know how much life the engine has left in it and its already broken in so u miss out on a bit of learning, u'd need to tune it often anyway but theres nothing like breakin in an engine and tuning it espacially for the first time and watchin it come to life during the break in.

as mentioned above a nitro 3 or the 18ss version (bigger faster engine) would be a good car to look out for, HPI is a popular company, their rc's are good, engines good and reliable and u can get parts more or less anywhere. Not to mention the 18ss will kick out about 50mph (which seems alot faster at this scale btw) to buy new u'd need to build it and buy radio gear and tbh if u do real cars all the time this won't be too hard to do, jus a bit filddley (hpi's instructions are very detailed)

if u were to go 2nd hand I don't know how much they'd cost but i'm sure if u look on ebay u'll see a bargin on there

and one last thing this time of year the heat makes nitros a bit more of a chew, if u know what u are doing then its ok but we get alot of newbies and inexpereiced nitro users with alot of problems on ere in the summer months, if u'r in no rush to get one or don't mind waiting a bit i recommend u hold out for a few weeks till the crapper weather starts coming back, its jus a thought as we've seen a few newcomers get a rc then decide almost instantly they can't be ass'd cos its too much chew keeping the engine running - the heat only adds to this

btw offroad nitro is so much more fun :D what with the long wet muddy winters coming up :whistling:

cheers guys :good:

i do like the look of that 18ss B) is 1.5 brake horse a lot in nitro r/c terms?

can totally understand about the tuning etc,guessing they will be very tempremental as far as the weather goes...mainly due to the rpm and small tolerances? i dont mind all that really.

i hear what you are saying about being a passing phase too,i tend to keep most things like this and clean em more than anything if they dont get used :whistling:

how do engine sizes work? seen figures like .15 and .28 or 3.5? what do these mean exactly?

sorry for all the questions... :unsure:

do like the look of that 18ss,rough second hand price? seen it for £229 new but no bits with it obviously...

if anyones got one? :) <goes to check classifieds>

Neil.

cheers guys :good:

i do like the look of that 18ss B) is 1.5 brake horse a lot in nitro r/c terms? don't get hung up on the figures, depending on what engine is in what type of rc massively plays a parts in its performance, a .18 is jus under the big league but when its in a touring car...50+mph says enough lol for example a .21 in a buggy = 50mph and in a monster truck 30-35mph and these engine can kick out upto 39K and beyond rpm btw like i said it differes alot and even vice versa's

can totally understand about the tuning etc,guessing they will be very tempremental as far as the weather goes...mainly due to the rpm and small tolerances? i dont mind all that really. yup bigger the engione the more tempremental, summer time they can be stroppy which is over come with experience, winter or colder weather they behave alot better, tune better and over all perform better imo and ofcourse cold weather dominates the uk year so its all sweet lol

how do engine sizes work? seen figures like .15 and .28 or 3.5? what do these mean exactly? basically u prime the engine and apply a power source to the glowplug, this heats up and as u turn the engine over, u get the compression and then a mini explosion happens and the engine starts much like a real car difference being the heat generated from the combustion is enough to keep the glow plug lit/hot permamnety while the engine is in use un like a spart plug, u apply throttle the piston acts like yoyo lol driving the crack,clutch then the clutch bell with inturn drives a spur gear which drives a tranmission then the drivetrain and so on urgh :wacko:

.21 = 21 cubic inch which is a 3.5cc engine, .28 - 4.6cc and so on, hpi had a savage 21(3.5cc) then re released it the savage 3.5, there biggest truck is the savage 4.6(cc) which is a .28 - see the potential for confusion? why they don't jus call them the sav21 and the sav 28 i'll never know

sorry for all the questions... :unsure:

superb info m8,appreciate it thanks :good::)

im thinking this 18ss jobby would be a good car for me? i like the idea of the 2 speed so i could look at gearing it diffarently depending on the use i want out of it ie:drifting/lower down snappiness?

does that reasonable?

probably thinking way ahead here,but is a 3 speed set up available?

and the engine sounds like a good un :good: ?

is this the model we are talking about? sound alright?

and finally (for now rofl ) would this shell fit?

Neil. :)

cool :good: i notice on the ebay add it says "Comes clear , uncut and unpainted" so sounds ok.

just looking at the pics though,and the front mounting pins are in a diffarent place through the body compared to the place on the 18ss im possibly thinking of going for...is it adjustable or something? :ph34r:

just found a video too,is this the exact same engine but just in a diffarent car? clicky :good:

cheers again.

For the shell mounts (bodyposts) you need to drill your own holes. Where these holes are situated varies from car to car.

The pic of the body you saw will be on a different car, so it won't matter as long as you drill the holes yourself.

BTW the one on the Kamtec website is cheaper, even though they are the same people (on eBay and on the website)

im thinking this 18ss jobby would be a good car for me? i like the idea of the 2 speed so i could look at gearing it diffarently depending on the use i want out of it ie:drifting/lower down snappiness?

does that reasonable?

probably thinking way ahead here,but is a 3 speed set up available for the 18ss?

and the engine sounds like a good un :good: ?

is this the model we are talking about? sound alright?

is this video the exact same engine but just in a diffarent car?

sorry,dont wanna be a pain in the neck,but any views on the above? :)

cheers,neil.

Edited by Volksdevil.com

yes the engine is the same I believe, unfortunatly i have very little experience with on road touring cars I prefere big scale offraoding myself, but I know the gears can be changed and the 2 spd transmission is adjustable to what extent on this I dunno but i would suspect theres a wide range of gearing knwoing hpi and I know theres a stage D drift kit availible for the car (option parts in the link below)

read this for info and also there a option parts list at the top of the page that might give u some idea http://hpieurope.com/kit-info.php?partNo=10256〈=en

sorry i can't be of more help but i can certainly tell u it will make a sweet ass drifter for sure