• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

summit axle drive shafts

ok guys a bit of help from someone here,

on my summit axle drive shafts, one of the boots has split, so i thought ok, get some more and replace, fair enough.

now i have the exploded view as well, but i really don't get this.

the shaft is on a spline...fine,,but it doesn't slide up and down, not even a bit, so no use having a spline, also the boot seems useless, as no dirt or water can get in it anyway as its so tight. and even if it did, there are no moving parts in it, and the dirt/water cannot go into anything that isn't protected anyway, its basically a tube.

looking at the diagram, what looks like a screw to separate the two halves, in fact isn't its just a rubber grommet, so it does seem they are not only one piece, but even if they are not, the boot is pretty useless.

anyone done or seen these before?

update,lol, ok ok they are 2 piece, brute force moves them, but still no need for the boots really

Edited by darknight

Hi. Try rotating the 2 parts. pull em apart,reinsert after rotating 'em 1 spline. If it's stiff, rotate 1 spline again,reinsert,keep going till you find that they slide into /onto each other easily :) . I had this when mine broke.& the boots are pointless :yes: . If the cross pin rips the plastic of the drive shaft, put a drill through it at 90 degrees to the original hole, fixed drive shaft :thumbsup:

• Like 1

cheers, glad im not the only one to think they are pointless :)

wouldn't exactly say they are pointless!

you've seen what happens when they rip or split and dirt gets up inside the splined parts - it all locks up solid and you have no movement along the length of the shafts.

This movement is needed to accomodate the change in length required as the suspension moves through its range of movement.

When the shafts get locked with dirt - they can';t extend / contract which means there is greater stress being put on the wheel axle bearings and diff.

I agree they split very easily - and they;'re only required to move a bit - but run with the shafts locked solid and you could see other parts wearing more!

Hi. Mines never locked solid cause of dirt, but it's mmm'd :)

dont really think your choice of ESC has any effect on the driveshaft axle boots... lol

I always found the boots do their job great unless they get ripped by a twig of something - but I guess its one of those areas you either worry about - or you don't!

ok, update, took them off again for a clean, but couldnt work out why they were as stiff as old boots, no matter what i done, then i noticed on the car side spline what i thought at first was just a nick out of it, turning the wheel side over theres a line cut into it. line these both up and it slides real easy..it was like this when i bought it, and you can see why as there looks no diff in the splines themselves, but there must be a small diff.

posted so others know about this too.

• 3 weeks later...