• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

hpi baja 5bss 0r losi 5t

jim46

i all, started lookin at 1/5th scale petrol, have got all hpi nitro models at moment and love em all, but i just got to have a petrol at some stage, think its natural progession, really like look of hpi baja, and my local model shop recomend the ss kit form, cos of all upgrades already in kit, but i tthink the losi 5t looks awsome aswell, and got 4 wheel drive, any one got experiance with both models, which is best

Tbh mate their 2 different catagories cause as u said the baja is 2wd and the losi is 4wd ,where would u be driving/bashing it ?.and with the ss kit u need a stering servo and radio gear ,but the losi comes rtr.U couldn't really say which is best cause they both have good things and bad things :).and which one would u be looking for, speed,handling,acceleration ?

id be mainly just bashing, i think from what ive seen the hpi baja is prob faster, but losi better handling, would be doin some jumping aswell, would the losi stand up to this better ?

I bash with a couple of guys that have losi 5ive`s and i have to say they are wicked, go round our track superbly and my baja just cant keep up in the corners but has the edge on speed. Both cars will take abuse as said above the baja ss needs servos and radio gear but the losi does have an issue with the servos burning out very easy so you will find your self replacing them anyway and if you want to fit a normal large scale servo you will have to buy a conversion kit to make them fit as the losi servos are a weird size.

You might want to consider looking at an MCD v3/v4 both great cars only down side is parts are exspensive if i was in your shoes i would get a baja bud parts are cheap ish and every where

good luck with your choice bud

i would get the baja!!!!!! its all around best and you can upgrade almost every part!!:)

To be fair the losi hasn't been out that long so company's like possibly turtle racing,pro line,ect haven't had very long to devopope products for the losi unlike the baja thats been out 4years or someting :).But their will be better options for losi (upgrades point of view)) soon to come.

To be fair the losi hasn't been out that long so company's like possibly turtle racing,pro line,ect haven't had very long to devopope products for the losi unlike the baja thats been out 4years or someting :).But their will be better options for losi (upgrades point of view)) soon to come.

EDIT:best of luck bud whatever u choose :)

Hiya mate, i am in the lucky position to have both of these cars, and as has been stated, they are both very different beasties, depends on what you want really, probably for out and out fun just bashin, the baja is hard to beat, been out a long time, hop-ups are endless as are different engines, really the skys the limit, 2wd hard to control on a track, bashin huge larf. The Losi 5t, brilliant piece of kit, it handles superbly, seems tough, and will most likely be the biggest seller in 1/5 scale this year, expect to see hop-ups galore in the next few months, as the yanks have gone bonkers on them, for good reason.

The Baja can be awkward to work on, due to the chassis configuration, everythings crammed in fairly tight, but once sorted it is pretty much run it till it breaks, the Losi, being the more track orientated will probably need more care and maintenance, but is so easy to work on, really is a doddle.

Bottom line, whatever one you chose, you will have brilliant fun with, i have in both of mine, hope this has helped, good luck mate.

what about the baja truck version , that looks pretty cool aswell, looks lika good basher

Yep the 5t or 5sc, really the same goes for those as for the 5b, bigger, heavier and the bodies are expensive, and from what i have heard the sc version body is not the strongest, but if you are just starting in 1/5th scale, i would stick with the buggy version, you can always upgrade to the truck @ a later date if you wanted, i did that, but to be honest, i kinda missed the buggy, which is why i still have mine, as well as the losi.

There are some "reliability mods" coming out for the losi where by you can use 2 steering servos such as the savox/rhino or a Tonegowa because there are 101 issues with the steering system/geometery on them.

MCD car owners seem to be struggling for parts back up at the BRCA off road races which is why most have gone over to losi or the FTX punisher.

The HPI style Baja's seem to be very popular with the "non racers"

Let me pose a question though. There is a big difference between Needing to upgrade and Wanting to upgrade, so........

If a car needs upgrading out of the box, is it worth having?

• 2 years later...

But lots and lots of spares, hop ups, help and parts are not in the same league as a 5ive, got 2 of each.

losi is excellent truck, tough sturdy easy to work on and can be driven really easily as the 4wd makes it so, baja is like a mad naughty puppy, great fun and less predictable.

On a shale surface baja just wants to play at chasing its tail, while 5ive is great with 4wd drifts etc. On a grassy field losi is a little too safe after 20 mins but baja can be more rewarding as getting its back end out at speed is challenging.

Both excellent toys fella, whichever you get you wont be dissapointed  :yes:

stop looking for alternatives, have a look at the for sale section and see how many spares and hop ups are available for the MCD.

If your planning on racing, yes if for pure unadulterated fun and mayhem its a no brainer.

I looked into these but was educated by the many forum users.

Its basically down to personel preference, its your money but i cant remember reading many Baja 5b/ Sc or 5ive owners complaining that the cars were pants.