• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

***Hyper Owners Club***

Revorocks

I know the feeling. Thing is, there are times when I want to be impulsive and do the opposite. There's an St in the classifieds, beautiful thing but it costs too much for me (I'm borderline broke this month). It's probably good value really considering everything that is on it but then there is the fact that I like putting things together myself and that st is literally RTR although is probably end up spending more money that way...

Funnily enough its the first child free Sat in awhile, however my friend is back from family hols in Fl tonight so might nip over to see her early.....  then we're off to see James Blunt in Nott sat evening - so it's not looking good.  

• 1 month later...

Finally found some time to sort both buggies out today.  As is always the case with used RC's you find issues that delay matters - a multitude of pre stripped screws and not enough spares to drill out and swap them all meant I didn't finish all the work and had to be creative at times to access parts (rear end off to remove centre diff mount...)

As no one was home and it's cold in the conservatory I designated the lounge Workshop 1 today - all good intentions re keeping things tidy of course!  Started like this:

16207616125_efcc319d09_b.jpg

Daren't show a pic of the end!

Changed the 15t pinion on the basher Hyper (1900kv can) to a 17t.  Was geriatric on 3s before, acceptable on 4.  Only had space to test on 3S out on the street but it's go's pretty well now.  Adjusting mesh on this one was v easy as removed the whole centre diff assembly.

16207611865_8f97ee8233_b.jpg

Semi sorted the steering issue this came to me with.  Steering top plate link mounts foul on the upper link mounts - moved mounts on the steering to the rear point and took some preload off the shocks so it sits lower and the steering clears fine.  Can't believe I missed this when troubleshooting when I was told it was jumping teeth on the servo (and killing servo arms).  Has tq2 shocks I believe and as there not adjustable I think the root of the issue is there just too long.

On the race Hyper fitted and meshed the Orion Truggy can.  Due to over runs I've still not soldered this up and to the new to me esc.  Mesh on this was harder to set - used a 19t pinion and it looks like this is the biggest this motor mount will take - tried it at furthest setting and it was almost bang on mesh wise.  Coupled with the 2300kv can this should move some I think.

15587874733_3fe8b29ace_b.jpg

16207717895_9b5b77d3f1_b.jpg

Edited by capri-boy

Far to impatient, and had a spare 15 mins this morning.  Connected up the esc, a receiver and 3s battery just to see.  Can't wait for the weekend to finish and run both 7's and hopefully there new brother.  

15599276964_c2cac5240a_o.jpg

Edited by capri-boy

Far to impatient, and had a spare 15 mins this morning. Connected up the esc, a receiver and 3s battery just to see. Can't wait for the weekend to finish and run both 7's and hopefully there new brother.

15599276964_c2cac5240a_o.jpg

Bring them to the track on Saturday!

I've now got to decide which Hyper loses it's combo to go in the new new :/  Might have to be the Orion Can as it's more suited to the application.  There's a 2200kv Trackstar 120a combo in the new one already but the esc is fubar.

I ran that combo in Capri Boys hyper which I sold him. Was bang on with a 19t pinion

Considering the basher has a 17t with a 1900kv and seemed to run well on 3S I can well believe it.  

Ok, well both 7e's up and running.  First off is Froggy's old basher - surprised to find this has had the hinge pins replaced with bolts (bar one for some odd reason!).  Has the repaired Trackstar 120a esc along with the 1900Kv Turnigy can and a 17t pinion.  Only ran it on 2S to check and went fine.  Should be great on 4s.

16253147006_3b62b5ffe4_o.jpg

Next up is Dubberz old race roller, not done much at all to this so far, bar swapping mounts with the one above (as the gold flake looked a little lurid).  This one has the Trackstar 2300kv can with a WPSC8 esc, running a 19t pinion.  Have gone for 5.5mm bullets on the esc, so the y harness will have these on one end and 4mm HXT connectors for the 2S batteries.  Have swapped my 3/4S lipos over to 5.5mm bullets for a straight connection.  

16101129829_327432f55e_o.jpg

Edited by capri-boy

Keep an eye on your temps on the Trackstar motor as I think 19t might be a little high for it. They have a tedancy to run a little hot so if it does get too hot swap the pinny with the 17t and see how it goes.

Keep an eye on your temps on the Trackstar motor as I think 19t might be a little high for it. They have a tedancy to run a little hot so if it does get too hot swap the pinny with the 17t and see how it goes.

Cheers, the 19t was orig for the orion can, which is going in the ST tomorrow.  I've got an 18 to try if it gets too warm, after that it means pinching the 17t off the 1900kv.  

I hammered it up and down the road with the 19t, on semi decent road tyres, on 3S mind, and it didn't even get warm.  It was only ten mins worth though.

• Like 1

Two packs through it tonight, just up n down the street.  Couldn't get above quarter throttle for anything more than blips.  Can was luke warm to the touch, esc cooler but noticeably had some heat, batteries next warmest.  It is only around 3 degrees out though.

Just want to say It's too quick on 4S, why anyone would want to put 6S through one of these is beyond me.

My Hyper 7 was blisteringly quick on 4s and saw no need for 6s either.

But it's nice to know that with the right gearing, i could join the mile high club if i wanted lol.

My STe is running the same leccys as my 7 was and again, i see no real need for 6s as it's plenty quick enough on 4s.

Just ran the numbers:

Differential Ratio: 3.3076923076923075
Transmission Ratio: 1
Other Ratio: 1
Spur Tooth Count: 46
Pinion Tooth Count: 19
Total Voltage: 14.8
Motor KV: 2300
Tire Diameter (inches): 4.2
Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
Motor Current Draw: 0
Motor Coil Resistance: 0
Spur/Pinion Ratio: 2.42 : 1
Total Ratio: 8.0081 : 1
Tire Circumference (inches): 13.19 inches (335.15 mm)
Rollout: 1.65:1
Total Motor Speed: 34040 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 53.11 mph (85.32 km/h)

6S on the same set up returns a theoretical 77 and a bit mph, needing a 25t pinion to top the ton or a bigger spur.  
Edited by capri-boy

4s is enough for me too. I'm happy with the speed of both my hypers and they feel like missiles driving around in a car park. Me and my boy have to be careful when driving them together cos crash wouldn't be nice.

Took Dubberz old Hyper to Ndor today - first time ever on an 8th scale track and it was a blast, even if it was only a practice session.  Plus points:

-Had much fun!

-Broke nothing :)

-Hyper went very well

-Zero temp issues running 19/46 2300kv Turnigy and 120a wpsc8 esc

Negatives - need to work on battery mounting - I'm using a mix of 3S, 4S and 2x2S packs - using the 2x2S adds additional wiring into the squeeze too.  Esc came loose too - twice - Orig mounted using dbl sided foam, then remounted to day with servo tape, finally cable tied to get me through the session.  Guess I'll remount with foam and additionally cable ties to take some of the load.

-----------------------------------------

Still looking for alt bodies for the 7's - seems Kyosho MP9/  MP777 might fit - pbm are local to me and have mp9 shells in so I'll try and call in and see.  Randomly looking on Asiatees too and they have this :

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Ofna-Hyper-7-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Ofna&model=Hyper%207&id=56635&pid=1

PC201102a.jpg

It's pre-printed,only 0.9mm pc and according to Matrixline it's for a mbx6.  I've no experience of ASiatees but generally don't hold much stock in such companies accuracy over such matters.  If it does fit though then that opens up a wide choice of current inproduction shells from bittydesigns / proline etc.

Edited by capri-boy