• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

22 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Well. Managed to get my engine with roto onto D812, pain! bit of dremmel & file work going on. Would not fit that damn mount, not designed to be able to fit anything other than a blanking backplate to the back of the engine. Stoopid!.

Anywhoo. Dropped a F4.6v2 in it from a Trophy for now fitted with roto :) so I can stick around here on a technicality while my Trophies are sleeping :D hopefully the engine bloody works now.

On another note I'd definitely scrap the idea of big bores on the Trophy Flux. Now that I have a relatively light buggy I can see the difference. I can roll 35w oil med springs and drop it from 2ft without slap and it sits there happily with hardly any spring adjustment on in fact I could do with going sprung softer. On the Trophy Flux with the same shocks 60w oil - hardest spring poss at full adjustment it slapped hard at less than 1ft and just about sat at the correct ride height so ergo waste of space & £££.

The best & cheapest option imo is to double up all round. Will make it a bit stiffer and you should be able to use less than 50w oil which will also help prevent bending shafts :thumbsup:

Going to have to strongly disagree on the shocks fella and bottoming out or chassis slap isn't a bad thing .. Doubled up shocks IMO are way to much they overly stress the arms and the whole truck feels like it's on marshmallow in the corners lol .. Big bores are the way forward but you need the right length the right springs and the ability to adjust the Pistons then it's just a case of tuning them to suit . The Vorza shocks you used are way too short and that's half your problem 117mm just isn't long enough so your need to find some better fitting ones before throwing in the towel lol 

I have tried  loads and I mean loads still say my pulse shocks where the best loved them to bits they where perfect ! IMO of coarse ?

48 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Going to have to strongly disagree on the shocks fella and bottoming out or chassis slap isn't a bad thing .. Doubled up shocks IMO are way to much they overly stress the arms and the whole truck feels like it's on marshmallow in the corners lol .. Big bores are the way forward but you need the right length the right springs and the ability to adjust the Pistons then it's just a case of tuning them to suit . The Vorza shocks you used are way too short and that's half your problem 117mm just isn't long enough so your need to find some better fitting ones before throwing in the towel lol 

I have tried  loads and I mean loads still say my pulse shocks where the best loved them to bits they where perfect ! IMO of coarse ?

I had the opportunity to get 2 brand new pairs of Pulse rears a while back for £16 but didn't go for it and now regret it :(I'm now set up exactly as the hot bodies D8T suspension - towers - shocks - arms - still sqats like a dog, slaps like a b***h, lifts the front like a slapper with her skirt. Lose the steering on that one and has blown a tyre, the front just won't stay down no matter what I do with the rear shocks the front is in the air so... lost me rag with it. If there was space to double up on big bores it would be loads better, you could use softer springs and lighter oil making it more tuneable because between the buggy I have and the Truggy that extra 1kg makes a massive difference. If i take the 124mm off the buggy and put them on the Truggy it just flops to the floor, swap them back and the buggy is held firm. On the buggy they have 35wt and med soft springs. Can't get them to work on the Truggy even with rock hard Kyosho red 95mm and 70wt. I can't lose any more weight from it so I'll have a look at it when the weather improves.

I'm now using my stock one for a bit. This one has just got the nut/bolt mod I did on the front steering arms with ally carrier which is still holding really well. I got hold of some ally shock caps + 3.5mm shaft rebuild kits, has an ally susp block at the back of front diff + 17mm conversion set. That's all it's really needed tbf. I've got the suspension pretty soft with 40w and the springs just about keep the Truggy sat with dogbones level. With it like that it hits the ground pretty hard but it corners like it's on rails and I haven't bent one shock shaft since woohoo :) 

11 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Going to have to strongly disagree on the shocks fella and bottoming out or chassis slap isn't a bad thing .. Doubled up shocks IMO are way to much they overly stress the arms and the whole truck feels like it's on marshmallow in the corners lol

I was thinking tho with the double up option yes the springs make it a bit hard causing the arm stress however using the softer springs from the lightning pro becomes a usable option. It is a bit of a catch 22 really, on one hand single shocks don't quite cut it and twin shocks are too much. You don't need to use the spring just use the extra shock as a secondary damper. Really HPI should have put something slightly better on in the first place. Most annoying is, Hellfire had nice 3.5mm shafts Lightning the same, Pulse the same, then HPI take the lightning - rip it to bits - put pants steel gears in, 3mm shock shafts, take off the 17mm set & swap for pants axles and call it a Trophy. Shame really as it's not a bad machine with good parts support and then we basically put the lightning parts back in.

Edited by dazp1976

Pretty sure that's supposed to be flat:lol::lol::lol: (<<There was only supposed to be one of these guys, stupid forum!)

20160213_154807_zps7n8h9rdu.jpg

20160213_155044_zpscn4wz8xq.jpg

It also bent the rear centre drive shaft :( Got some bodging to do if I want to get out again this weekend! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Pretty sure that's supposed to be flat:lol::lol::lol: (<<There was only supposed to be one of these guys, stupid forum!)

20160213_154807_zps7n8h9rdu.jpg

20160213_155044_zpscn4wz8xq.jpg

It also bent the rear centre drive shaft :( Got some bodging to do if I want to get out again this weekend! 

Nice :o

If you're that dangerous you might want to think of bolting 2 chassis plates together :D ouch!

Stupid mistake. I'd hit this jump over and over again with no issues and wanted to get it on camera. One handed driving maybe wasn't the best idea :D

https://youtu.be/WIaiUlyNSVw

^^I can't get videos to embed^^

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Stupid mistake. I'd hit this jump over and over again with no issues and wanted to get it on camera. One handed driving maybe wasn't the best idea :D

https://youtu.be/WIaiUlyNSVw

^^I can't get videos to embed^^

What you need t do is make a chassis brace, i was sick of bending chassis's so when i got my third chassis i made a brace and now no problems at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RestInPieces said:

What you getting to replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be getting a Losi 4.0 buggy but not decided just yet . It's been sat on the shelf since last September so time to move it on I got it cheap so it's going cheap ;) 

I bent the already weakened chassis again today so I've bodged another anti-bend rod onto the rear, hopefully that'll see me through until a new chassis can be ordered and a proper brace fitted. I think what's happening is the anti-bend rod is popping off at the chassis side so I've used a longer screw and fitted a nut to capture it. Fingers crossed.

20160219_120739_zpspxp0p231.jpg

The extra rear brace and captured rod ends seem to have done the trick. It took some pretty nasty hits today and just kept going :)

https://youtu.be/jvGoFbt_AzI

I regretted running it through the slushy mud when it came to loading everything into the car to go home :lol:

Edit: Video imbedding was working fine before, now I can't get it to work. I clip the insert link button, copy the url then hit enter and.... nothing.

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

Hi Peeps,

I'm new here.

I bought a new HPI Trophy 3.5 just over a month ago. I still have my twenty year old 1/10th Kyosho Lancia Delta Integrale but since hopping up to 1/8 scale I've not used it.

I'm reasonably pleased with my new buggy, but it's been a bit of a pain at the beginning, getting the 3.5 nitro engine to run properly. One problem was, with the LSN in the stock (flush) position, it rev'd like I had given it full throttle. Since then, the LSN is turned out by some two turns...

Here's a vid of a bashing session from last weekend... forgive the corny content... I'm getting to grips with Sony Movie Studio....

Edited by andy_m

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

I've been offered a good deal on a lipo but I need to make sure it'll fit. I'm out at the moment so can anyone tell me the maximum dimensions of the buggy flux battery tray?

158 L x 52 W x 50 H in the buggy.

Truggy can take 56mm height, just.

Specification says 160mm length which can be done with a squeeze :thumbsup:

Started my strip down & re-build on the TT flux last night to get it prepped for the better weather. First problem I found was stiff steering. Top orange plate has loads of wear marks on it and instead of sitting proud on the posts to leave a little room the damn thing clamps down on the servo saver itself and practically locks it up :( Can't put my new ally one on yet then.

I'm too cheap to buy another top plate lol so some 4mm shims it is. :D

I started fitting my bearing kit from rcbearings today, wheels and centre diff are done, just need to find time to do the front and rear diffs now. I hate that I have to strip the diffs to replace the bearings, I've only just filled them with fresh oil! I wasn't going to bother with the ones that replace the bushes in the steering linkages but I went ahead and did it... what a difference! The steering is super sharp now :)

Just took my gt out with an sh 28 6 port, boy its torquey as a mother, 16t bell with 3 shoe alu clutch was nearly wheelieing from standstill, just need to modify the back plate so it wilk fit in the truggy without the huge spacers i had to use to get it mounted (backplate is wider than any other engine ive had and needed the stock engine mounts needed modified to clear the backplate, then large spacers to lift the engine up to clear the chassis mount), need to look out my 17t bell me thinks.

Ill get some pics up once i clean her and fit new wheel bearings

Allan

Heres the pics,

temporary_33.jpg

A Force 28 on the left and SH28 on the right

temporary_34.jpg

Backplate to wide for chassis pkates

temporary_35.jpg

Engine mounts filed to fit engine, you can also see how far past the crankcase the backplate goes.

Is this a one off or are there other engines that we should look out for for this?

Alkan

37 minutes ago, pug=309 said:

Heres the pics,

temporary_33.jpg

A Force 28 on the left and SH28 on the right

temporary_34.jpg

Backplate to wide for chassis pkates

temporary_35.jpg

Engine mounts filed to fit engine, you can also see how far past the crankcase the backplate goes.

Is this a one off or are there other engines that we should look out for for this?

Alkan

Cool :) 

I had to do a job on my hot bodies too to get a roto and 4.6v2 to fit. All part of the process :D