• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My MGB

Hpi_matrix_stock

Hmm...don't want to teach you how to suck eggs here...but-

I take it you aligned the clutch plate?Also it may be easier to remove the box from the mountings and insert it in one...or alternatively...get the engine in and then mount the box on after?

Just my thoughts!

Yep done that, quite important :P I can't put the clutch on once the engines in, so the only otherway is taking out the gearbox...which im defo not doing lol

Why lol?...Maybe your not reading me correctly?

Ok so you've aligned the plate....now when your trying to get the motor in your coming at an angle...so it's difficult to locate on the g/box shaft?....So what i'm saying is that if you remove the box (prop shaft bolts and box mountings) then you'll be able to either fix the box to the motor and insert the unit as one (with the equipment i'm presuming you have probably not the easiest way) or get the motor mounted and then locate the box from below........I'd imagine your working with the car on stands and your trying to insert the motor without either enough forward movement or the correct angle to locate the g/box splines correctly....are you using a chain on your hoist?

Trust me,if you release the box things will be much easier....getting a box mounted on a motor (in situ) is easier than vice versa!

....Oh also one other tip,if your trying to insert the motor with the box in situ...don't forget that rotating the crank whilst trying to locate the splines can also help!

I think I get you now. The car is not fully jacked up only at the front and im working outside. I see what your saying about the g/box and someone did advise me it would be easier to take the engine out with the gear box attached because of this lining up business when I put it back in, I couldnt really do that as I dont have anywhere to put the gearbox and it sounded alot harder then just taking the engine out. I could try and drop the g/box down as it is but there is so little room to work under the car I really dont fancy it, I dont think I could mount the engine without the g/box as id have to jack it up at the back (the engine as it only mounts in the front?) and again this would give me even less room to work.

Thanks for the suggestions though :) I wish I had a pit for the car :whistling:

Im using a hoist/crane, I think me and my dad probably got the wrong angle and bashed the clutch plate and more trys just burred up the splines of the clutch plates more, I just dont understand why they havent made the splines out of something better like hardened steel.

I filed the clutch plates splines back down and it now fits perfectly, iv also borrowed a spigot so my clutch should be aligned perfectly.

Edited by Hpi_matrix_stock

Ok,so now you realise that i do actually know what i'm on about here!

I see your predicament of the front higher than the rear...always going to cause trouble as you'll need to tip the motor at an even sharper angle...try to keep it on a level plain...picture the g/box spline and the clutch plate,it needs to be be paralell...and your coming in at an angle (to clear the front panel) sometimes you can be lucky and with a bit of wobbling and crank rotation it'll locate...but if you release the prop=shaft and g/box mounts (support the g/box with a jack..no need to remove) you'll find things much easier....or just remove the prop=shaft...again it's easier to mount the box onto the motor than vice versa...!

I do hope this is of some help.....i know i sound like an ar$e but that's just me...sorry! :)

Ok,so now you realise that i do actually know what i'm on about here!

I see your predicament of the front higher than the rear...always going to cause trouble as you'll need to tip the motor at an even sharper angle...try to keep it on a level plain...picture the g/box spline and the clutch plate,it needs to be be paralell...and your coming in at an angle (to clear the front panel) sometimes you can be lucky and with a bit of wobbling and crank rotation it'll locate...but if you release the prop=shaft and g/box mounts (support the g/box with a jack..no need to remove) you'll find things much easier....or just remove the prop=shaft...again it's easier to mount the box onto the motor than vice versa...!

I do hope this is of some help.....i know i sound like an ar$e but that's just me...sorry! :)

I never questioned your knowledge? :unsure: I can see what your saying about going in all in line/parallell and another mechic has told me the same, but have you ever worked on/have experience of mgb's? As when I went into the MG mechnics/shop today (where I borrowed the spigot) they've told me that going in at an angles fine as basically you can raise the gearbox up and then have the engine tilted to to line it all up.

I can see what your saying with the gearbox but even without undoing anything it drops quite a lot and has to be supported, it drops down further then the engine like this as the crossmember gets in the way.

Sorry if I came across as a know it all or something, I certainly do not know it all and comments like the ones you provided are quite helpful :)

Ok,no problem.

Yes i have worked on Mgb's but a very long time ago and i don't recall putting a motor in but it's just a general technique.Many times i've found it much easier to drop the box off rather than mess about.

Oh one other thing that may help...if your keeping the prop sahft on then put it in gear so as when your rotating the crank the g/box spline will not rotate.

Now come on...let's have that motor back in there! :)

Finally got it in today, only problem is I coundnt get the engine mounts quite located in the right place. A little perseverance and im sure it will be fully in though.

Does perseverance = hammer/boot? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

did you see the chop shop London garage they made a mgb into a race car and they left the gearbox in when they took the engine out and put it back in but it looked a little further back so maybe they took it off its mounts

did you see the chop shop London garage they made a mgb into a race car and they left the gearbox in when they took the engine out and put it back in but it looked a little further back so maybe they took it off its mounts

Seen a few episodes but must have missed that one.

Engines been running for about a week now, did have a problem with poor ignition and closer inspection found the engine block is pissing its water out onto the dizzy. Luckily its only a core plug and not a crack or something so il be getting a new one to put on tomorrow and getting the carbs tuned on tuesday.

I will get a vid of it running soon, it sounds sweet kind of like a mini v8 lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yo!

I know its been a while now, but whats happend since your last update ?

I'm gonna start working on my parents MGB Roadster shortly as they've left it to rust etc

Be cool to see what else youve done to yours.

Ha lucky I came on and saw this.

The wiring loom partly burnt out at the end of last summer, I took it all out and repaired it but by then it had ran out of tax/mot and as I was going to uni (and wasnt allowed to bring a car with me) so I parked it up. Around the time the wiring loom burnt out the engine defo wasnt giving me as much power as it should, an oil compression test later and im 99% sure a piston ring has gone so the engine will be coming out again this summer (should have rebuilt the bottom end whilst it was out the first time but you live and learn!).

In 2 minds whether to keep it original looking or make it an all out track car. Would have had the engine done by now if my bloody saxo hadnt given me grief, iv had to put 2 gearbox's in it since owning it...and this was meant to be the reliable car! Saw a convertible MGB a few days back and made me wish Id bought one instead of the bloody saxo!

When im on my computer il get some pics up of both.

Pics of the wiring loom that I repaired:

cimg0271.jpg

cimg0272.jpg

Saxo, mid g/box change:

4646_99925652744_516137744_1928155_2046579_n.jpg

New Koni inserts and springs being built up:

4736_102384922744_516137744_1961826_1160732_n.jpg

Gay facebook picture of the Saxo :P (note I didnt paint the wheels that colour) :

4928_107597297744_516137744_2035777_6589209_n.jpg

Old and new together:

n516137744_1689704_926255.jpg

Saxo is a chavtastic car and is french, but for the pennies they cost they handling is immense and the 7.5 second 0-60 time cant be beat. Easy to hold of spares new or second hand too (which is handy cos it bloody needs em!)

Edited by Hpi_matrix_stock