• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick ion steering problems

Veed79

After some help with the lads ion mt, the steering became erratic last time he used it servo would keep twitching and wouldn't steer properly basically underivable.

So I re binded Rx n tx made sure battery was charged checked connections and made sure nothing catching servo arm, no difference. Replaced the servo with a brand new unit still no good, I've now noticed the steering sometimes twitches when you are barely even touching the steering wheel on tx could it be this that's faulty? Or receiver? How would I find out which is at fault as new tx is about £30 I think so don't wanna take a chance unless I'm certain.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

,Hello dude, I've had that issue a quite a number of times

It's either one of two things..

1. Your hovering over the receiver with the transmitter, causing interference and thus servo twitch.

Or, the more likely cause

2. A faulty servo potentiometer, when the pot gets dirt/water in it can cease to function correctly, meaning the servo pot cannot obtain/incorrectly obtains position feedback.

My money's on the latter, bin it, buy a new servo.

Jobs a good un'

Already replaced servo the other day mate as I though that and it wasn't expensive but still the same .
Tx is about £30 so didn't wanna chance that, could take it apart but not sure what I'd be looking for really, my gut feeling is there's something wrong with the steering wheel in tx as it seems really sensitive you barely have to touch it and steering twitches, but knowing my luck if I buy a new tx it will be the 2 in 1 esc reciever.

On 2017-5-21 at 20:49, Veed79 said:

Already replaced servo the other day mate as I though that and it wasn't expensive but still the same .
Tx is about £30 so didn't wanna chance that, could take it apart but not sure what I'd be looking for really, my gut feeling is there's something wrong with the steering wheel in tx as it seems really sensitive you barely have to touch it and steering twitches, but knowing my luck if I buy a new tx it will be the 2 in 1 esc reciever.

Well if you had two transmitters ( because you have two maverick ions ) surely you could swap the transmitter and receiver off one model etc etc so you would then know if it is the transmitter for sure

On 2017-5-24 at 07:35, Veed79 said:

I've got other models but the maverick uses the 2in1 receiver so I can't separate them to test.

My money is on receiver then.

Looks like the wallets coming out whatever happens if you haven't got any spares

Go get a separate ESC and try it with one of your tx/rx's

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to update this thread as had some great customer service from hpi today.
Turns out that the tx and rx on boys model has been discontinued and they don't sell my tx anymore,been keeping an eye on eBay but no luck.
So was looking like If I wanted to replace the tx I would have to buy the new esc/rx to go with it as the new radio gear will not bind with my existing old rx, so cost was coming close to the price of the car and would not be worth it.
I messaged hpi to ask if they still stocked the old radio, they replied next day to say they don't stock them anymore but went out of his way to help and managed to find an old model that was returned with an esc fault so radio is all working and has offered to send out free of charge! If I can get it working again my boys gonna be well chuffed he's not used it for ages.
Just wanted to mention it as I was pretty impressed with customer service like that especially as the car is over 3 years old,thumbs up to HPI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1