• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The super "G"

Tim.

Fortunately I have all the original instructions to the grasshopper 2 and an additional sheet that was slotted in to the box to cover the ‘Super G’ element, namely the shocks.

So this afternoon I took the shocks apart and expected to find traces of oil and deteriorated seals. They were dry, as in never had an oil and no seals at all.

At this point I’m assuming when my my day built it 30 ish years ago he didn’t bother with the oil and seals.

So back to the instructions, they suggest he built them correctly. :huh:

28022015849_079c0bc1a4_b.jpg

39768635242_b991f8e832_b.jpg

?

Interesting - even though they can hold oil, it does indeed look like the instructions want them to be built dry. Odd - rather like the shocks supplied with the XB DF-02 models. Maybe this is to make it easier for beginner modellers?

It should be easy enough to run them as oil shocks, although it looks like you'd need additional diaphragms as well as shaft seals.

I’ve contacted Antony, the eBay parts man, seals no problem, diaphragms he said about 4 weeks for the fronts.

Also am I right in thinking there are some plastic spacers/inserts that sit alongside the o rings (when filling them with oil), they will have been on one of the parts trees if I’m right and I won’t have them.

However, a potential bigger problem I only just noticed, one of my rear wheels is broken and out of line(picture doesn’t show the extent)

39091873894_fee859ac12_b.jpg

I need to replace this (or all) like for like but I think I’m going to struggle to source them.

SO after chatting with my Tamiya parts guru, Antony from eBay, he basically said I have no hope of NOS green wheels, they discontinued them ages ago.

He did have some in white or gold, hhhhmmmm -_- Anyway I’ve ordered a set, I wonder which colour I went for :lol:

Edited by Tim.

7 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

White, ready for painting!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Someones going to get the wrong opinion of me. I’ll say I lost my mind for 5 mins :lol:

Well it’s alive and flipping fast.

When I initially tested the new electronics to see if the motor would even turn, it wouldn’t, I removed it and tested again, it spun perfectly.  So took the rear axel apart, the diff span freely even though it was bone dry so I thought something was terminally knackered although couldn’t see how it could be.  Anyway after taking it to bits, greasing everything and reassembling all was well.

Gold wheels days are numbered, will definitely be changing them to green. Is there a paint code of the original green super g wheels? 

Currently left the suspension as the instructions intended but it does feel weird, even driving it around the house, without oil filled shocks.

Going to try and get to the park tomorrow to stretch its legs, will try and get a video of the speedy G.

• 1 month later...