• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New owner of Anderson M5 bike got few Q

vrooom

I got myself a rc anderson m5 motorbike with hopped up fork and few bits.... yay! go me!

I got a few question...

The bike is a roller...    I intend to strip it down and clean it over... and assemble it back.  

I will be fitting brushed motor for now with spektrum radio because thats all i got right now.  will 27t or 20t.  even 15t motor too slow for this bike?

If i upgrade to brushless.  is 10.5T or 13.5T good enough for the bike?

AND    will  shorty lipo battery fit in battery box ?

And what oil weight in front fork and rear shock, and steering damper?

many thanks

I run mine on a 3800Kv 4 pole motor with a 60A ESC, and it's about right for the bike. The stock motor was over 15T as that was the limit on the ESC....and it was slow. On grass, it struggled.

Brushless is much better, and makes the bike fun. No problem fitting a full size LiPo in as long as it's not too long. I use a Turnigy hard-case pack

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__29003__Turnigy_5000mAh_2S1P_7_4v_30C_Hardcase_Pack_ROAR_APPROVED_UK_Warehouse_.html

which fits. I have some softcase packs which are just a bit too big. The battery space is meant for a 7.2V NiMh pack, but I had no issues finding a LiPo to fit. Your shorty pack ought to be fine...just check the dimensions!

I used 30wt oil in the forks on mine. Mainly becuase that's what I had.... seems to work OK!

Oil weights. F=10w R=3000w if it's the standard blue anodized shock. If you have the eRevo shock with blue coded spring then anything from 40w to 3000w depending on the surface. Getting the rear shock set up properly is key to really help in making this bike work.

The steering damper I'd advise 10w, maybe lighter (or even just plain old air). I'd recommend removing it and fitting a servo suitable for an 1/8 buggy or truggy. Far better steering and you can always fit the damper if it still waggles.

Go mad and spend £2.19. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-51-inches-1-3mtrs-Adhesive-Lead-Tape-Golf-Free-post-uk-NEW-/152036011584?hash=item23660d6e40:g:TvMAAOxyeR9TJfWE

Use it around the front rim both sides and then remove the tyre and crimp a run either side of the raised rib. It seemed to help keep the front end down a bit and help dampen any waggles.

On 12/04/2016 at 17:37, Nitroholic said:

I run mine on a 3800Kv 4 pole motor with a 60A ESC, and it's about right for the bike. The stock motor was over 15T as that was the limit on the ESC....and it was slow. On grass, it struggled.

Brushless is much better, and makes the bike fun. No problem fitting a full size LiPo in as long as it's not too long. I use a Turnigy hard-case pack

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__29003__Turnigy_5000mAh_2S1P_7_4v_30C_Hardcase_Pack_ROAR_APPROVED_UK_Warehouse_.html

which fits. I have some softcase packs which are just a bit too big. The battery space is meant for a 7.2V NiMh pack, but I had no issues finding a LiPo to fit. Your shorty pack ought to be fine...just check the dimensions!

I used 30wt oil in the forks on mine. Mainly becuase that's what I had.... seems to work OK!

I've just converted my son's m5 to brushless and have a number of these 2s turnigy hardcase's which fit perfectly.

However struggle to find space for the wires and plugs from the battery, how do you manage it nitroholic ?

Any tips/pics ?

I opened up the ittle slot which the wires run through so I could push more wire up into the space there. The battery box is very tight, so that was all I could do. I had a Deans plug on...so I made it just big enough to allow the connector to go through.

If I get time over the next couple of day, I'll take a pic of mine with the battery in place

• 2 months later...

Bought a m5 which looked great and ran really slow, put a basic brushless system in and its alot better, totally stock apart from electrics but i need help as it dont go like the ones on some of the vids, handles pretty bad at times, help plz for making it handle better

I'm led to believe that shimming the head stock, fitting a steering damper and the Ali fork upgrade are amongst the most crucial upgrades.

Although just ensuring that you spin the gyro up fully before setting off and gentle throttle control also play a major part in it.

I don't have the above upgrades and my 8 year old son can happily thrash his around the park with a brushless combo in it using the above tips.

• Like 1

Brushless and a decent LiPo battery get the performance where it needs to be. Then mine has alloy forks which really improve the handling. Before...bumpy ground was just impossible to handle.

The rear shock is too soft and underdamped....and that;s my next job to tackle.

In stock brushed form, it was really pretty slow.

• Like 1