• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Firestorm pull start won't turn engine over, please help!

Joenitro1993

So basically i've had my firestorm for several months now….never had a problem with the pullstart until the other day…Basically when I pull the pull start it isn't "stuck" it is actually the complete opposite…it just pulls like a loose piece of shoelace coming through a hole….When I remove the pull start and checked the one way bearing it was not the bearing that seems to be the problem…There is a metal rod that sticks out from the engine which the one way bearing sits on and then the pullstart is placed over this and screrwed in…However the problem is that if I push this metal rod in as hard as I can towards the engine and turn it, it locks in like it should for a good pull start….what is happening here? It's not the actual pull start or the one way bearing….has something worn away inside the engine? It feels like it…which part would it be? Thanks for all your help in advance.

So basically i've had my firestorm for several months now….never had a problem with the pullstart until the other day…Basically when I pull the pull start it isn't "stuck" it is actually the complete opposite…it just pulls like a loose piece of shoelace coming through a hole….When I remove the pull start and checked the one way bearing it was not the bearing that seems to be the problem…There is a metal rod that sticks out from the engine which the one way bearing sits on and then the pullstart is placed over this and screrwed in…However the problem is that if I push this metal rod in as hard as I can towards the engine and turn it, it locks in like it should for a good pull start….what is happening here? It's not the actual pull start or the one way bearing….has something worn away inside the engine? It feels like it…which part would it be? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Have you checked your fly wheel nut? That might be lose 

inside the engine on the crankshaft bigend pin there is a small pin which sticks out under pressure from a spring, this engages with the pullstart shaft flywheel. My bet would be that this tiny pin has worn away hence why the engine doesn't turn over when you pull on the pullstart. Hpi part number for this is 1433.

modelsport has this in stock!! I think it about £5!!!

Edited by firestorm01
added info
  • Like 1

Pretty sure that engine has a little spring-loaded pin in the end of the crank-pin that can wear and pop out. http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-starting-pin-pressure-spring/rc-car-products/370737Listed for G3.0 engine, but I'm pretty sure its the same as the 2.5.

Take the back plate off and have a look. Be careful not to lose the spring or pin as they are small and can "fly". If you replace them, make sure the old ones are accounted for, as they will make a mess of your engine if left in floating about.

• Like 1