• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial SCX-10

Zombi

• 3 months later...

How do, sir.  Yeah been using it, but only very sporadically. Now that my little boy is growing older, he's starting to get really interested in all things that boys do - including RC cars! It's the time i've been waiting for :D

So I'm sprucing up Mud Pig ready for some adventures.  I've been tuning the shock springs, need to make sure i'm 100% happy with it.  I've also removed Arnie and his mate in order to make it less top-heavy.

And looking back on my thread there, I see the last thing i was doing was adding the VP high-steer kit, and waiting for them to replace that duplicate part. Well they did so, and the turning circle on it now is insane.

I really want a Jeep body for it though...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I'm glad i didn't sell MudPig after all, as now my boy at age 6 has taken the wheel and we're loving taking the cars out and about :)

Thing is, we did some mud bogging at Black Rocks at the weekend and the inevitable happened - he blew my hand-wound Tekin motor!  So could any of you folks in the know recommend a cost effective but decent motor for an SCX-10 please?

I'd get another Tekin, but I have a feeling he'll continue to show MudPig no mercy and so feel it better I get something less expensive...

OR, as it's a brushed motor I think it may just be one of the brushes that's worn out... Time to investigate

Thanks guys

Q81ua6h.jpg

Edited by Zombi

So it looks like the brushes had just worn out completely, so my boy is off the hook.  Now brushes ordered from RC Mart, but the comm is looking like it's had better days...

As I don't have a comm lathe (and don't intend on buying one) I'm going to need to figure out a different way to spruce it up.  I'm thinking putting in a drill and using some fine sand paper... anyone else ever done a fudge for this sort of thing?

tpM5h0A.jpg

pUG5qcn.jpg

gTKKJgz.jpg

Thanks mate! I’m going to run this one into the ground seeing as I already ordered the spare brushes - may as well now. I also got some recommendations for a couple of motors on eBay for only about 10 quid...!

Hope you’re doing well?

21 hours ago, Zombi said:

Thanks mate! I’m going to run this one into the ground seeing as I already ordered the spare brushes - may as well now. I also got some recommendations for a couple of motors on eBay for only about 10 quid...!

Hope you’re doing well?

Are the 10quid ones GoolRC by chance? They are okay to get you rolling, but nothing like Holmes quality.

Yep all good here dude, how about yourself?

It's one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTAR-540-35T-Brushed-Motor-for-1-10-Off-road-Truck-Bigfoot-RC-Car-B2G7/223705274264?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Yeah same really, despite this lock down annoyance going on!  Still, it gave me the opportunity to clear out the axles and transmissions for Mud Pig and the Yeti so ever cloud and all that :)

Actually I wanted to ask. I want a jeep body for the SCX10, any recommendations?

i was looking at the 2 door proline body that they do. I want as little faff as possible really for fitting.  I remember you had a cool looking blue jeep body right? What was that?

Edited by Zombi

14 minutes ago, Zombi said:

Actually I wanted to ask. I want a jeep body for the SCX10, any recommendations?

i was looking at the 2 door proline body that they do. I want as little faff as possible really for fitting.  I remember you had a cool looking blue jeep body right? What was that?

The blue Jeep is still alive, currently residing on my Dads SCX10ii while he does his Power Wagon body, it's very similar to the Deadbolt, they are hard to find now though, it's the Jeep Wrangler G6 version.

I did also have a couple of Cherokees and a Bronco.

Not many body options at the Deadbolt wheelbase though, much more available at 12.3".

Although my old SCX10 looks a lot different these days.

4HwYuz3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What new parts would I need to do that, just the longer links?  If that's the case, is the best place to get them from?

In an update to MP's mobility, the replacement brushes came from Honk Hong at last, I put it all back together and the motor is running just fine.  It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts now before it dies.  I've also ordered one of those generic motors from eBay (China) as a backup for when it does eventually bite the dust.  It'd be great if they're actually good, as it means mud bogging can continue, as for 10 quid a motor, who cares! :)