• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Smoking Motor...

SWest82

...and not in a good way!

Son has an HPI Firestorm electric which is great, however he was using it today and the motor just started smoking like a chimney. I'm guessing that is pretty fatal, but only had since January - probably max 50 hours total use. Is that normal?

...and not in a good way!

Son has an HPI Firestorm electric which is great, however he was using it today and the motor just started smoking like a chimney. I'm guessing that is pretty fatal, but only had since January - probably max 50 hours total use. Is that normal?

Has something got jammed in the drive train somewhere?

Maybe a stone partially trapping a drive shaft?

Definitely fatal.

Brushed or brushless? The hpi brushed cans are cheap and cheerful, not unknown for them to vent.

Perhaps contact the shop for a warranty replacement if bought new. Hpi looks after its customers, if the shop won't help, contact hpi UK direct via their website :)

Brushed motor. Think you may be right with small stone. Removed motor etc and now runs, but doesn't seem to have the same power or instant speed it had before. Think maybe some damage done and may have to buy a new one. Guess a good reason to upgrade at the same time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brushed motor. Think you may be right with small stone. Removed motor etc and now runs, but doesn't seem to have the same power or instant speed it had before. Think maybe some damage done and may have to buy a new one. Guess a good reason to upgrade at the same time!!

yep...I'm sure sum one will suggest a combo or a motor. .u staying brushed or going brushless? ? Edited by evssv

To be honest, I'm a bit (a lot) of a novice. I get the impression brushless is better, but more work to install? Any recommendations?

so my positive reasons to go brushless ...and only few negs....+longer run times from smaller mh batterys...faster more power/ torque. ..newer tec....-u'll need a new lipo charger....sum sutible lipos /plugs for lipos/esc . ..and to learn all about ur new kit which will take a while for it to sink in...but it will...my 11 year old son can work our chargers no probs....so its not rocket science ..as for combos...how much do u wanna spend??factor in charger /lipos ect if u do go brushless. . Edited by evssv

Hmm, food for thought there. Only just bought 2 x 5000mah batts so would be a waste to now buy lipo's too. The car is my 10yo sons so don't need much in the way of speed - just a little more durability. Thinking brushless may be a little way off yet.

Hmm, food for thought there. Only just bought 2 x 5000mah batts so would be a waste to now buy lipo's too. The car is my 10yo sons so don't need much in the way of speed - just a little more durability. Thinking brushless may be a little way off yet.

problem solved then ...u need a decent brushed motor ..which I'm sure sum one will suggest shortly. ..as brushed ain't my thing tbh...save the brushless upgrade for when he's a bit older Edited by evssv

You just want  a better motor thats all for the young man

most truck come with a cheap 27 turned motor ( it is normally knows as stock motors)

but these days the rucks and cars come with something like a 17 turns or even a 15 turns motor

these motors are know as modified . 

for the young man over in modelsport you can find a suitable 17 turn - 15 turn modified motor he can use.

brushless wise you can still use your batterys you are using now, the motor will be slightly lower powered

but still quick and nimble, but it is a bit more expensive. 

a modified motor from modelsport will cost around

Cool, thanks for the advice Tamiyacowboy. The one that came with the truck is a 15 turned and we were really happy except the durability was poor. Will check out the site and see what options they have. Thanks again, really useful info.

Thanks again for the advice, we're out with the car most weekends so a great way to get out and about. Will have a look at some other motors and definitely need to get some oil - maybe that's where we were going wrong...oops!! Thanks again, really appreciate it.

not really even us oldies in the game did the same, just run 10 packs and leave it in the corner lol.

a little oil will help, just a drop on each end let it soak in and your done.

the strip motor and blow out is good gets the young man working on his machine and 

the motor is checked over. and over time he will notice the brushes wearing down to.

check out a few local hobby stores, pop along with the young man and have a look at what they have in stock 

you want single wind motor and below 15t no higher. 

top names, LRP -Orion - Novak 

not so good are your cheaper

thats the idea. 

the 15x2 is a little different to a standard 15t.

going to give a little extra torque and smoother power 

have a look around at some other, but the orion is a nice can. 

been a very long time since i messed with brushed racers and modified motors.

but i would maybe look for a standard 15t and not an 15x2 winding version. just to be easy on your esc

and not eat it up (more wires means more resistance ) so can cause more just to be drained/pulled out of the esc than it can really give.

dont wanna see you gets get a lovely new motor then your esc coughs up magic blue smoke everywhere lol.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy