• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro engine question etc

hokuspokus

Hi Guys,I am doing the engine run in on my boys Himoto cars when i was out there doing the first one when it started it was running a full throttle,and the smell was bad when i was holding it so i eventually got it stopped....can you tell me why it is going full speed once started and how do i get it to run the normal speed for the FIRST stage of the engine break in.

Cheers graham

You need to take off the air filter on the engine, and check the gap in the opening of the carb. It should be around 1mm to give you a nice idle. First check that your radio gear and servos are set right, if it closes when you apply the brake then you need to adjust the trim or adjust the linkage, if it doesn't close to 1mm with the brake on, then you will need to adjust the idle screw on the carb until it is about 1mm

Thanks Zizzle,do i need to do that before i start the car etc,just i never had to do any of that to mine etc but mine is a different make than the boys.

Cheers

Why you using etc so much? It means 'et cetera', which translates to 'and so on'. Literally it means 'and the rest'. 

Hi Guys,I am doing the engine run in on my boys Himoto cars when i was out there doing the first one when it started it was running a full throttle,and the smell was bad when i was holding it so i eventually got it stopped....can you tell me why it is going full speed once started and how do i get it to run the normal speed for the FIRST stage of the engine break in.

Cheers graham

As already said check the throttle gap is 1mm...and also check the mixture settings are correct according to the manual...count how many turns they are set at and then compare to the manual (note- that the settings given by the manual are never going to be perfect...only a guide).

When the engine is revving high then the clutch engages...if you prevent the car from moving then the clutch will have to slip...this would explain the smell...try not to hold the car as it will cause wear and possible damage.

When I start a new engine I have already checked the carb. settings...I have the wheels off the ground...if it is revving high at first start then I have my screwdriver in hand....I can richen the mixture and reduce the throttle gap to reduce the engine speed...ideally I want a rich mixture but a low enough idle speed to prevent the clutch engaging.

Note- if it is revving extremely high and I have set the carb. correctly then there must be some problem- immediate shut down and investigate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys.only getting back now as was on holidays,i was out there trying to start the car,it started then cut out 2-3 times now it seems as if the pull start is stuck and wont pull...i dont really want to take it to a model shop and get them to break the engine in for me because i have another 2 to do after this one i knew i shouldnt of bought the 3 boys these cars nothing but hassle and dont want to be paying out money to a shop were it should be a straight forward job :( ....am ready to crack up :D

Cutting out is normal for a nitro engine on break in.

The advise given in this thread is pretty much all you need, if this doesn't help you then it maybe worth paying the model shop a couple of quid to show you how to use one of them so you can pass it on to the other 2 engines.

Behappy, that has no contribution to this post so that was a pointless reply.

• Like 1

I had to tap the flywheel with a hammer and screwdriver,but the pull cord only comes out the slightest bit,then it becomes impossible to pull,can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to overcome this,i have had the glow plug out and still wont pull.

When the glow plug is out can you see the piston at the top there?

If yes then heat the engine up with a heat gun/hair dryer and it should free up.

If no then something is jammed or broken...time to take the head off and then the backplate to find the cause.

If you are struggling to pull the pull start its normally 1 of 2 things. Either the piston is stuck at TDC (top dead centre). In this case remove the glow plug and gently pull the pull start, should free up. Other cause is flooded engine. If this is the case remove the glow plug and turn the car upside down to get rid of any excess fuel. Put plug back in and try starting. Im very new to nitro too and agree they can be frustrating to break in, tune etc but its the nature of the beast im afraid :) On another note, make sure you use after run oil after each use (not each tank or run but when you have finished for the day). Allow engine to cool slightly then remove glow plug and add 2-3 drops in the glow pug hole. Pull the pull start 3-4 times to allow the oil to coat the engine internals. You can see down the hole where the piston is. Try to make sure you leave the piston at the bottom of the stroke as this will stop it from getting stuck at TDC :thumbsup:

Edited by YORKSHIRENEO
  • Like 1

Thanks Yorkshireneo,so how will i know if the piston is at the top or bottom,is it just himoto cars,and there contollers are weird with all the switches under the wee flip lid on it.i know these sound all stupid questions but its just i dont want to wreck the boys cars. :thumbsup:

so how will i know if the piston is at the top or bottom

Take the glow plug out.....look down the hole it came from......pull the pull start......you can see the piston going up and down.

Now, when you get the piston to the bottom by gently pulling...stop....that is (as near as you need it) BDC or bottom dead center...(you could even drop something like a cocktail stick into the hole and watch it go up/down).

Put a mark on the flywheel that you can use as a reference point.

Whenever the engine is not running then turn the engine until your mark lines up...then you know that the piston is in the lower portion of the stroke and out of the pinch area...it will make the engine last longer and also the piston will not get locked up..

All of this jizz to learn how to run a ( basically) primitive engine is a steep learning curve...but stick with it and it will all be second nature by the time you get to the third car... :) 

• Like 1