• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's Baja Flux Build - Ruby

Thunderwolf

I did the self same to our lasses B, stuck a traxxas Rx box onto the remains, works a treat. I have made up extension cables for the ESC and fan wires to attach to, partly because it puts a little less strain on the wires, but also means if you want to attach the ESC to the PC, you don't need to open up the wp Rx box....saves a lot of faffing about.

yea, the only option i can see if the team fast eddy option but its 40 quid for abit of metal no hevier than a tr chassis plate.

and while i loose the lid from this, the rx will be covered by the shell anyway plus i gives an extra 35mm of space for the battery

well to finish it off it needs

shell and mounts

gear cover

spur

esc

motor

battery

of them the battery and motor will ad the most weight, i think once done it would be something along the lines of 13, maybe 14kg once i put everything on. depends if i got for the buggy of truck shell really

I find the B easier to deal with in the field for pack swaps, then again, the beast runs the TC cage, and I have large hands...

have you decided upon the combo yet? Tried and trusted or new and daring??

yea i think i'll keep it as a buggy, at least for now, i can always fit the 5t parts later.

combo wise i'm not sure still. i stuck between putting my thoughts on castle aside and run the xl2 with their 2028

or saving the money and fitting a turnigy set up and risk it not being man enough.

You know my thoughts on Turnigy...and there is good evidence to back them up.

I am not a castle fanboi at all, however, a Northerner wouldn't part wi 'is brass on three identical systems if the first 'un had been poor.....and tbh, keeping a 'spare' xl2 is a bit daft, seeing as how it has lain dormant since purchase. :whistling:

As far as their survival rate from hard landings, having seen footage of BazookaJoe's shorty flying through the gaps in tree branches, I know they'll take it...the beats has had some very heavy landings and rolls....pop her back on her wheels and off she goes..

order from the US, save some money and happy bashing away :thumbsup:

black friday ddm sale items arrived today, some chrome springs for the shocks.

here are some better photos for you all

DSC08252.jpg

DSC08254.jpg

DSC08255.jpg

dunno what everyone else thinks but i love how she is starting to look, wasn't sure i was going in the right direction when she was nothing more than parts in a large box

DSC07876.jpg

the few cosmetic bits i'm thinking about will hopefully work out, i may be hard on my cars but i actually do care about how they look lol

Thanks noj, sorry to thread jack Thunder !

not at all fella, if the thread helps people out then its worth having it.

in reality i don't really know a lot about conversions myself so i have no idea what i'm doing either, the 1/8th buggy i have was practicably made for me lol

• 4 weeks later...

well its been almost a month since i last mentioned anything about this.

probably have it done if it wasn't for my interest in other cars aswell (having bought a kyosho blizzard and a hpi trophy buggy) but i am working my way through.

been in abit of a debate about what to do, specifically with 3 things.

1. buggy, truck or short course

2. safe and costly or cheap and risky - aka castle or hobbyking

3. battery retention, bought or made.

i've got answers for 1 and 3 now, i'll be sticking to the buggy look as its A. easier and B. shell is cheaper

battery holding wise i'm going to get the battery box from a hpi baja flux as i've found that you can get them on their own, mainly due to not trusting myself not to do it wrong and end up seeing a rather costly lipo flying from the car.

esc and motor i'm leaning to castle but really it depends on funding i have, still, i got other parts required before it becomes any real issue

Interested to see one of those battery boxes....not convinced that it would accommodate the zippys we run...perhaps with the aid of cunning and a dremmel..

Pics and measurements please when it arrives  :thumbsup:

will do.

looking at picture it looks like it replaces the radio box, so assuming it it shaped close to the chassis it should only make it afew mm smaller if anything.

i'm planing on buying most of the parts i still need in 2 or 3 weeks, the battery box is one of ithem so i'll get some measurements when i get hold of it

something is bothering me.

shells, or rather the lack of.

i only know of 3 for a 5b.

stock, which is rather bland and boring imo

proline, which is much better but the fuel cut out would look odd imo

grafil, which i think are ugly.

other than them there doesn't seems as much option for bashers, atleast not if you are interested in looks for a flux baja.

Aim good news has come in that means this will be finished mid to late next month

I've got a motor and esc picked out now aswell as all the other bits

Just a case of getting the funds an buying them