• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's Baja Flux Build - Ruby

Thunderwolf

couple things i want to mention.

first being i've got an rx for her, just the big 3 left to buy (the big 3 being motor, esc, battery, aka the most costly bits) so anyone wanting to donate some money to it, feel free to do so :ph34r:

2nd is in relation to the shell, the one i ordered is the HPI Baja 5B-1F, or as most other people will say, its the clear hpi flux shell, the one just like the normal baja but without the petrol cap cut out section.

ordered it from modelsport on the 18th of jan, so almost a month and i sent an e-mail about it, turns out that they do still make them however they are done in batches, so are only made once the demand is there for them, i.e if one batch is 5 shells, then they make them once 5 people order one. so god knows how long it will be until they make them and send it out to me, i can't find any listed as in stock so i'm a bit limited on options with it.

so if any of you plan on buying a clear baja flux shell, be ready for a mammoth of a wait.

just to be clear, i'm still going to finish this, its just taking longer than normal as i'm lining up 2 new projects that will take over after this.

Cone washer wise..........................................Copy cat!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looking well smart. Got my red IRC chassis yesterday & put her all back together.

Just gotta do engine squish, refit the engine & get a new pipe sorted!

I'm thinking of building a Baja Flux myself with my leftover stock chassis.  

Looking good , you ordering the esc and motor from the states or england ?

Have been hovering over the buy it now button for a while ......

given the cost of the stuff the esc will likely be imported, as will the motor and batteries, as even if hit with customs it would be cheaper than buying in the uk

i also think you should get your own thread unlocked and updated.

Cone washer wise..........................................Copy cat!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looking well smart. Got my red IRC chassis yesterday & put her all back together.

Just gotta do engine squish, refit the engine & get a new pipe sorted!

I'm thinking of building a Baja Flux myself with my leftover stock chassis.  

cone washers are silver, not red.....the ones i bought afew days ago are red though

thanks for that leo, the painted one won't fit with my theme so thats out but i've sent a mesage about the clear one to see if they actually have it and it ready to post, if it is i will buy it to save time and cancel the order with mopelsport.

• Like 1

Batteries from abroad? Have you decided what you'll use then? Series and parallel or just series?

Still waiting on those battery tray measurements TW, they will come in very useful for a thread I am due to compose, when I can bend my knee enough to swing badgers around for photographs...your thread will be linked to BTW, for reference.

• Like 1

Batteries from abroad? Have you decided what you'll use then? Series and parallel or just series?

Still waiting on those battery tray measurements TW, they will come in very useful for a thread I am due to compose, when I can bend my knee enough to swing badgers around for photographs...your thread will be linked to BTW, for reference.

sorry mate i had forgotten about the measurements of the box, will get them now whil eit in my mind.

yea i'm going to get 2 3s lipos and wire them for 6s, mah will be as high as i can fit.

Cheers fella, appreciated.

The 8000mah zippys from hobbyking uk serve us well, good run time, the 30c is plenty to join the badgers around (despite comments to the contrary), however,this is where the fitted tray may be an issue, depending on size...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32214__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_3S1P_30C_UK_Warehouse_.html

ok well this is without any padding fitted, the battery box is roughly.

190x100x50

thats length x width x height in mm

maybe enough to fit them zippys, only issue you will have with them is the height is limiting.

this shell thing is bothering me.

1. i don't want to be waiting god knows how long.

2. i don't want to pay more in postage than spending on the shell.

so i dug out one of the old shells from sheila to see what a petrol one would look like

DSC08372.jpg

3. petrol shell on baja flux looks stupid.

conclusion, i can't win.

I fitted the desert rat to the B, just didn't cut out the petrol cap bit, looks ok as she flies past...there was no other option 'back in 2012' lol

+1 thats all i would do tbh you cant tell if its painted

• 2 weeks later...

got a reply from modelsport about the flux shell.

they have informed me the the supplier is now has stock of the shell and one is being sent to them for me.

so i should have the shell by the end of the week.