• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

Great forum tons of info on here for the Wr8

New to the forum. From the states (Texas). But come to England every year my wife is from Sussex

Anyway here's my Wr8 with a Team Blue Groove 350z body. I have some Integy stuff coming and will post more pics when installed

Sorry this got posted twice I don't know way it did that

2abb73476120f87e759a44bceaf14aa4.jpg

Edited by revolver

Welcome revolver,

I have a 3" Vanquish bar on one of my Ford bodies, looks great. I run it with 3s. The light spread is awesome, but I find it dosen't project far enough ahead for fast driving. How do you find yours? Thinking about rigging a couple of mini Maglights up.

You are correct on the light fall off. But it works pretty good for just some bashing around. If i need more light I mount a bicycle light to it. I have a couple of these http://www.niterider.com/2015-sport-led-bike-lights/lumina-750/

Very wishful thinking! Well... it maybe a possibility for the guys over in the UK and Europe but not anyone else in the world 8-( I'm still waiting to see the Bucky Lasek GRC Subaru body here in the states. Meanwhile everyone else seems to be able to order it no problem... ModelSport, Wheelspin.. but no, not at Tower Hobbies or OmniModels... COME on HPI!

• Like 2

Hey Mike,

I know you used to run PL Road Rages on your ride, any thoughts on these?

http://prolineracing.com/tires/dirt-hawg-iii-2.2-m2-medium-all-terrain-buggy-front-tires/

I've never run them but they are 90mm overall diameter, they may be too big for any body your considering to run them on. The road rage tires I ran were the 2.2" versions (These ones I'm pretty sure) and they are listed as 86mm overall diameter.

The extra 4mm may or may not make them fit... but even the 86mm diameter was tight on my Subaru body and that had the fender wells trimmed out a good amount as it was.

The stock rims are also 35mm wide and the tires you linked are 33mm. That could also cause an issue trying to stretch them out. 

I'd say look for something else, for example if you are looking for an off road tread the caliber 8211-02 are a bit closer (still a bit tall at 88mm) but they are a bit wider (34mm). They are still not perfect but they are getting closer ;-) 

• Like 1

BTW... I'm going all out with the new WR8....

This arrived today-

nFBA8v0l.jpg

fmvHpeHl.jpg

And I already have a full set of HD drive cups for the entire drivetrain, 3 sets of new internal diff gears (from the Savage Flux XS) and a set of 4 Firestorm front threaded shocks. Be on the lookout for the MGozzz WR8 Project #2 "The Redux...". It is going to be pretty epic 8-)

• Like 2

Got the Integy kit, braces and CVDs and the rally wheels all installed the last few days, it looks awesome. I have some HD diff shafts and gear shafts coming next. Pretty much everything else is stock... What would be a good all around shock?

Edited by revolver
  • Like 1

Looking good. What ESC are you running in there? 

Honestly I think the stock shocks are pretty good for all around bashing. They do need rebuilding after a bit because they start to get rough but other than that they seem fine (to me at least).

Now, because I like to make things better than fine I'm looking into the threaded front shocks from the Firestorm/Blitz. So far they look promising but I'd like to make sure the dampening is right on them before I recommend them to anyone. Even the stock plastic threaded bodied shocks will be an upgrade to the stock WR8 shocks. So far I've noticed they have a larger internal volume of dampening oil, they have a tighter/better fitting internal piston valve (both of these will lead to a more consistent shock tune), the valve pistons seem to be made of a reinforced material (not sure what yet), and the WR8 bottom and top caps will fit on them along with the springs. They seem to be great for a low cost upgrade.

Looking good. What ESC are you running in there? 

I have a Castle Sidewinder 3 in it for now. But looking in to the Castle Mamba Max

Thanks for the info on the shocks

Edited by revolver

Some sweet WR8 project parts **** for everyone! ;-)

HD drive cups-

AV6IFlhl.jpg

Some HD center drive shafts (We'll see how the pins on these hold up!) and some Savage XS diff gears.

ACVKk5Ml.jpg

Nice new clean diffs for everything to go into.

PkFSXQsl.jpg

Spare parts and some grease to make sure everything goes together nicely.

JDG0ZBll.jpg

Checking out the threaded Firestorm/Blitz shock bodies.

StNk9Nml.jpg

And the project car itself-

hNZdEKql.jpg

I've got some extra control arms, diff cases and whatnot so I should be set on parts for awhile. I just need to wait for my alloy rear bearing carriers and front knuckles to come in and I can get assembling! I'm getting excited! Yeah yeah!

• Like 3

Been messing around with my WR8 and have moved the motor and centre diff back on the chassis aswell as the battery to put a little more weight towards the rear. This meant moving the esc and receiver box forward to make a better balanced chassis.
Also installed an HPI SF20w servo to replace my ever slowing standard servo.

Tested in on sunday whilst racing a couple of mates with WR8's and the back end is alot more stable in higher speed corners and doesnt seem to be so nose heavy over jumps and braking. 

20141206_165741_zpsaece6755.jpg

20141206_165825_zps9b2cc80e.jpg

Edited by 888racer
  • Like 2

Been messing around with my WR8 and have moved the motor and centre diff back on the chassis aswell as the battery to put a little more weight towards the rear. This meant moving the esc and receiver box forward to make a better balanced chassis.

Also installed an HPI SF20w servo to replace my ever slowing standard servo.

Tested in on sunday whilst racing a couple of mates with WR8's and the back end is alot more stable in higher speed corners and doesnt seem to be so nose heavy over jumps and braking. 

20141206_165741_zpsaece6755.jpg

20141206_165825_zps9b2cc80e.jpg

Awesome great idea. Keep us posted on this. My biggest complaint is it is super nose heavy over jumps.

And what is that carbon plate under your chassis

Edited by revolver

Awesome great idea. Keep us posted on this. My biggest complaint is it is super nose heavy over jumps.

I will do. ;)

The carbon plate under the chassis is actually a 3mm thick (carbon look) plastic skid plate that runs the full length of the car to protect the underneath. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow for you's!

Edited by 888racer
  • Like 2

SAM_1007_zpsd01650a9.jpg

Thats the plastic skid plate viewed from underneath. It runs the full length of the chassis from the front skid plate till it passes the rear hinge pins for protection and extends outwards till just before it touches the front and rear arms to avoid contact, whilst following the shape of the fiesta body down the sides..  :thumbsup:

Edited by 888racer
  • Like 2

SAM_1007_zpsd01650a9.jpg

Thats the plastic skid plate viewed from underneath. It runs the full length of the chassis from the front skid plate till it passes the rear hinge pins for protection and extends outwards till just before it touches the front and rear arms to avoid contact, whilst following the shape of the fiesta body down the sides.. :thumbsup:

That's a brilliant idea.