• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How does the Tx and Rx communicate ?

anubhav

i am new to the rc hobby. I saw some radio sets and was wondering does the transmitter send the PWM signal to rx modules ?? eg when we pull the thorttle key up does Tx sends the PWM signals wirelessly which receiver than accepte to controll the speed of the brushless motors??

Please help this new bee !!

Old analogue systems wold send a series of pulses, one per channel the width of the pulses (1ms - 2ms) determine the servo position, and then theres a special pulse that acts as a reset, normally there would be a chip like a 4017 in the Rx to separate the channels.

These days though most radios are completely digital and send data packets often containing the servo positions at 10bit values.

As for Rx to Tx comms, theres a certain amount when you bind a 2.4GHz pair but that about it until you start using telemetry.

voodoo and black magic mate!! :xd::xd:

not 100% but its radio frequency/pulses that gets sent from what ever you do on the controller to the car. :thumbsup:

Edited by big gaz
  • Like 2

@

Beige

thanks for the explaination. But what i want to know is that we connect the esc to the receiver which gives the signals to the esc for throttle. These signals are PWM signals but my question is that does these signals are sent to these receivers as they are by the transmitter or does transmitter send some other type of signals that receiver converts to the corresponding PWM signals ??? if yes can you please help me understand the same signal patterns ???

i am planning to purchase the following Tx-Rx set :

http://www.rcdhamaka.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=703&zenid=4knjn8ssvvvkiqvgpgg5dqp8l4

any idea about it ?

Analogue radios generate the pulse that gets separated and sent directly to the servo/esc.

Digital radios send a data packet which the receiver processes and generates the servo pulse.

On old analogue radios you could get to the complete pulse train, but on the digital systems you can't, so the only connection you have are the servo connections.

A servo frame is 20ms long, starting with a rising edge, holding for the pulse time (1ms - 2ms) then falling and staying low for the rest of the frame.

I can't help wandering what you're planning to do with the radio that needs the extra info? Knowing this might help steer you in the right direction.

• Like 1

I can't help wandering what you're planning to do with the radio that needs the extra info? Knowing this might help steer you in the right direction.

Great explanation(s) in this thread ( beyond me really ). I agree though, one doesn't really need to know how a radio works in order to make a purchase, it's more a case of picking one with the features and specs to suit your needs and budget. So long as it's 2.4ghz for better signal range (generally... ) and less interference- the rest is upto you.

i enjoy wine/beer/medium rare steak/telly/cars/radio/women...I have no idea how any of them work :shockingscary: but i've come to have some pretty good quality examples of each of them in my life at some point !

(list in no particular order)

• Like 1