• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's Baja Flux Build - Ruby

Thunderwolf

for some time i have been naming the cars i like/keep for awhile and i picked skarlet for this one but unlike the other cars i've named it didn't really work for me and i am going to use Ruby, its a name i've used before but it fits this better imo

anyway

i posted about this awhile back with the below pictures.

DSC08017.jpg

DSC08018.jpg

i'll work out a full hop up list later on but most of the parts that make this baja up are from HPI, GH Racing, Innovative RC, Turtle Racing, RPM and afew others, when i started this project/build (personaly i think build is better suited but each to their own) my plan was to get either the methanol engine or a twin cylinder engine the obr make.

as you may or may not know, Sheila (my other baja) ended up having her engine dieing and i replaced it with a methanol engine (still to be run it) which made this chassis redundant for that purpose, i late opted out of the twin idea due to performance differences.

the clutch housing and the clutch system, along with the alloy spur gear holder you see in the pics above got taken off and put into Sheila to replace the v1 and stock part respectively at the time i was unsure if i would continue with the build or if i was going to sell it onto someone who had a better idea of what they want to do.

the fuel tank, alloy fuel cap and the fuelines also got sold once i thought about making it a brushless baja although nothing happened for quite some time due to funds and an unclear plan.

recently things are better and so i have gotten afew thing done to it with the veiw of making it a rolling chassis.

since the pictures above i have since fitted a castle conversion set up, which has replaced the red i-rc braces with the castle black alloy for the conversion.

i have been talking to neil at Silverback RC who is being very patient with me and sorting out a spur gear and a full wheel set up for the car.

i have also gotten some rod ends which has let me finish up with the steering set up aswell as getting a roof plate which i have (rather badly) covered in a vinyl type wrap in red chrome look to get it to tie in with the theme better, it not what i'm truly after but it will do for the time being until i can find something i like.

currently, if not including the wheels from Silverback RC (who is waiting for new stock) i am in need of esc, motor and batteries. ontop of that there is the small matter of getting a spur gear carrier, gear cover, body shell, and body mounts.

these parts are planned to be sorted over the next month or 2, however i'm currently on a large learning curve as i have recently been left behind and find myself making my own way in this crazyness we call life (i'm now living on my own in other words) so timescales are not set in stone.

there will be upto date photos coming once the buggy has some wheels on it, which should be coming sometime in the next week, depending on Silverback getting some stock in

Edited by Thunderwolf
  • Like 1

How did you get on with the castle conversion kit? Really dislike ours, still not convinced either is actually truly square.

You will need mxt's on the rear (nightmares are discontinued iirc), mini mxts work well on the front; I did try minis on the rear this summer, with limited success, on short grass anyway..

Nice to have another ebaja on the forum...

mine has been abit of both.

the cnc parts look ok, but the stamped parts kinda suck, one is stamed in such a way that the rough edge is on show instead of the other way around so it looks odd compaired to the other parts.

i do have a small issue with the battery straps, on a stock baja (for what this kit is designed for) you loop them through the chassis rails, which i can't as i have the i-rc enclosed chassis, so thats a hurdle i'll have to work around.

other than that the kit seems ok, i dislike it being black only, would have liked to have it silver or red to match in with the theme more but the only other option i was able to find was from integy, so castle instantly won the battle lol.

the wheels and tyres are sorted out already, silverback just doesn't have the wheels i want in stock right now but he expects them monday or tuesday.

there isn't another ebaja on the forum, not yet.

Ah, the straps...benefit of my kraken chassis, bolted through with small hexes,nuts and a washer, though, there's nowt to stop you doing the same; check with Rob but unlikely to invalidate a warranty?

There are other ebajas on here...BazookaJoe (currently AWOL in California), Tug, Samshirley, PH1 and I run the SC version, and our lass/me have a 5B as well...there could well be others... Lololol

• Like 1

Ah, the straps...benefit of my kraken chassis, bolted through with small hexes,nuts and a washer, though, there's nowt to stop you doing the same; check with Rob but unlikely to invalidate a warranty?

i have no idea what this means fella.

don't think there is even a warrenty lef ton any of these parts, some of it was bought along time ago now.

i have sent rob and e-mail about it, see if he has something planned, if not i got my own idea on the matter, but i'll see what rob says first

basically, I dropped my packs into my chassis where they needed to sit, then ran the straps underneath and marked off on the chassis sides where I wanted them located.

I then drilled a small hole through each side of the chassis for each strap, then used a small, (2mm head) hex, with a washer between it and the strap, to fasten the straps to the chassis, securing them with a small nut on the o/s of the chassis. They are in no danger of rubbing/piercing my soft case lipos, and hold the straps exactly in place. This method is actually better than pulling them through the gaps in a stock, open chassis (as we do on our 5B).

Any clearer? ;-)

i think i understand now, certainly an option, i'll see what rob says first just incase this is something he has thought of already, it does limit his chassis design to only petrol setups which is a shame imo.

mind posting a picture just so i can see it, to make sure i have proberly understood :)

Looks brilliant.

I will be keeping an eye on this one as I almost have enough spares to make a third baja so this could be my next project :)

ironicly this started out as buying some 2nd hand parts as spares for Sheila, it lasted a month.

the roll cage, steering servo, rear shock towers, shocks and the wing are the only parts that didn't come from a split kit or in a packet. although there are probably more parts i've missed out

Hop Up list as promised

only covers what is on the car right now, updated list will come as i add the parts i have planned (you know how plans can change)

ATC
H-Bomb

Castle Creations
Electric conversion kit

Darksoul
Billet Servo Saver
Tubez

GH Racing
Arm Brace
Front Shock Support
Front Tower Support
Rear Tower Support

HPI
HD Driveshafts
HD Idle Gear
HD Drive gear
HD Diff Gear

Innovative RC
Enclosed Chassis
V2 Rear Chassis
V2 Front upper chassis plate
Under Chassis Brace
Bearing kit
Screw kit
Hinge Pin Set
Rear Lower Arm Brace - Front
Rear Lower Arm Brace - Rear
Front Upper Arm Brace
Front Lower Arm Brace

Killer RC
Shock Limiters

Turtle Racing
Front Shock Brace
Rear Shock Brace
Transmition Slug - Spike

RPM
Sparkplug Cover
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
Rear Skid Plate

Vertigo
Clipless/Boltless Front Stub Axles

I would add a set of full force ebaja windows to the list, very good at protecting the ESC. If DDM are now OOS, I have a full set in red available, in excellent condition of course, with clips ;-)

I would add a set of full force ebaja windows to the list, very good at protecting the ESC. If DDM are now OOS, I have a full set in red available, in excellent condition of course, with clips ;-)

i did say it didn't include any planned hop ups ;)

Think of windows as a necessity for the ebaja, your electrics will love you for it Paul, and they stop an amazing amount of crud hitting the insides...inc moisture!

You know I do fair prices and sell only quality second hand items ;-)

• Like 1

I'd hope there wouldn't be an issue, no strength is lost. I know Kraken are ok with my having done it, cos I checked

well if not i'll just get some sheet alli and dremel out a plate i can bolt on using the tank mount holes in the chassis, nothing wrong with that, won't look great but it will work

wheels turned up today.

before the pics, all petrol related parts got taken off and replaced with the castle conversion kit.

the wheels i got completely from silverback rc, consisting of hostile mx front and rear tyres, silverback wheels and beadlocks (plus wheel nuts i already had) the foams are also from hostile. neil even put them together for me so i only hat to put them on ruby, which was very kind of him.

and while i can't remember his ful username due to the numbers, mark's steering links have now been fitted, i have some of his first on sheila, these iirc are some of the last ones he will make, they weigh about 3x times the stock links, i have no idea what they are made off but they may aswell be made from adamantium.

i have a hostile spur that i wll fit once i got the spur gear carrier, i have fitted a stock roof plate on and badly placed a chrome red stripe on it i think i may keep it plain instead, not really liking the look.

sorry for the dark first image, changed the camera settings for outside and forgot to change them back.

DSC08227.jpg

DSC08228.jpg

DSC08229.jpg

currently i am in need of getting a body shell, spur carrier, body mounts, esc, motor, and batteries. all in all, not much left to do.

i have also given the suspention abit of a test out to see what the weight is like with it current set up and right now its not that bad, however i have got some stiffer spring on their way from ddm (black friday sale items) just in case.

i also have some windows to fit, if i can ever find where i put them.

paint job has also been thought out, just a case of getting the shell and contacting someone to paint it.