• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's 1st Baja - Sheila

Thunderwolf

well started to take the front end apart and come into a small problem.

if you don't own a baja heres alittle info for you, the front end is held on with 4 screws on the underside and 2 screws in the (now bent) chassis brace, then you got 4 screws holding the chassis brace to the actualy chassis.

ok so not very interesting, but with the buckled chassis and brace, 1 screw has snapped (this is the screw jerre thought was loose at the bash) and anothe 3screws are now stuck as the hexes have rounded off.

so until i buy a new dremel (sold my old one) or find another way to get them out the front end isn't going anywhere :lol:

so tomrrow i'll try again, if not i can always get my new engine installed in the meantime :D

small update, got the dremel, got cutting and even with slots the screws didn't want to move (epic tight)

so i went alittle crazy, i ended up cutting the rpm bumper off which showed why the under side screw didn't move, the end was bent over at about 30 degrees, cut the end off and still didn't want to move in the end i got annoyed so cut the buckled upper chassis plate got a screw driver and leved it off, wasn't easy and it flew to the otherside of my shed when it finaly gave in (about 5feet)

now i have 2 screws holding what mains of the chassis plate onto the chassis, these are also stuck solid i will cut off the ends and see if i can do anything to save the chassis but tbh i don't think i'll even bother.

while i get them sorted i shall also be replacing the bearings and rebuilding the shocks and while the gearbox is apart for the bearing replacment it will be a good time to rebuild the diff aswell.

so i require the following parts replaced or fixed:

rpm front bumper

upper chassis brace

front bulkhead

gear cover side engine brace

chassis

shockseals and oil

bearing kit

diff seals and oil

if for what ever reason i can't sort out the chassis (give up or otherwise) i'll be replacing that.

i already worked out my options and come up with 2 options, one is the cheap option the second is more costly but better in the long run, i won't be sure which one i'll be doing for a while, depends how things go money wise

done alittle more to the baja, got most of the front end in bits now and i've ordered an alloy front arm brace and an alloy front tower support, both from Golden Horizon Racing (GH Racing on most shop websites)

the GH parts i have already are nice bits so i'm willing to give them a try.

i won't be makeing the bulkhead itself alloy, i'm keeping the stock, want something that can flex/fail in a bad crash/jump

still can't get the screws out of the chassis, if anyone wants it pm me, i'm thinking of upgrading it anyway.

got a piston stopper coming so i can fit a 9500rpm clutch spring and a new powdercoated clutch housing i got.

i may be upgrading the main chassis aswell but i may well put that off for awhile as the stock seems ok as it is.

now i need a screw kit as i'm constantly losing screws in the shed, also need a bearing kit and shock rebuild kit if there is one.

but screw kit for 45, bearing kits for 60 are over kill to the max imo so if anyone knows of cheaper ones let me know :)

but screw kit for 45, bearing kits for 60 are over kill to the max imo so if anyone knows of cheaper ones let me know :)

Where are you getting those prices? :| What about the IRC Screw Kit and Bearing Kit

They are only £31.99 and £25

ok managed to get some pics with the little light i had in me shed.

the main offending parts, chassis brace and kickup...
100_1422.jpg

100_1429.jpg

thats about a 30 degree bend in the chassis plate which should be totaly flat

found why the steering locked aswell, the lower arms were pushed against the steering block thingy.

but the building parts started today, sarting with the front bulk head:
100_1428.jpg

the main bulkhead has been slitly bent out of shape but thats what i want it to do anyway, it not going to be a great lot of movment but then again if i go full on into a tree or somthing i would expect it to bend again anyway.

almost got all the parts and other bits onto the engine now.
100_1423.jpg

so far we got on the engine:
outerwears air filter, pullstarter and engine case covers, all purple
tgn alloy handle in blue (my 4th handle colour now)
phatdad fan cover brace in silver

ofcourse the gbe engine brace, blue alloy insulator block and uber rc airfilter with velocity stack i had on the old engine are on this aswell.

i still have a 9500rpm clutch spring and a purple clutch housing/case to put on, which is on hold until i can get the clutch holder off.

for now, my desk is abit of a mess
100_1445.jpg

Edited by Thunderwolf

• 2 weeks later...

shock bits have been posted today.

got th ebits for the diff and gearbox

and have ordered alomst everything else i need to fix her up, in about a week i'll have her all back together.

only need to get another rpm front bumper as i had to cut up the first one, after than i got alittle bonus planned...

will be sorting out most of the parts tomorrow but quick run down of what i'll be doing:

rebuilding diff

rebuilding shocks

replacing bearings with i-rc bearing kit

replacing stock hing pins with i-rc screw one ones

fitting i-rc enclosed chassis

fitting i-rc front chassis brace for kick up reinforcment

installing the engine

putting her back together

i do have a i-rc upper plate to replace the bent and cut stocker, this has a slight issue which i'm currently sorting out with rob, nothing bad just my ocd kicking in.

i have ordered a new rpm front bumper to replace the one i chopped up.

also got a voltmeter coming which may/may not get fitted, some cf rollcage tubes and titan engine braces all from nosmonkey.

should be a fun weekend, aswell as the folloing week, 3pm onwards after work = engine run in time, looking forward for this beast to run again.

As my wallet cries, my baja shall rise

i still call her shiela though lol

i have had alot of fun this weekend.

last time my baja was in this many parts i had just got it off a beach.

anyway, most of the front end is now sorted, chassis, under brace, top plate are fitted to a rough set up, the front wheels bearings have been replaced, i just need the rpm bumper to arrive and i can get the front end tightened up and that will be that.

finaly got the clutch holder off the engine, so i now have the purple clutch housing on, the clutch is fitted with the 9500rpm spring and the turtle racing clutch carrier, clutch bell and 18t pinion are fitted onto it, its all set to be fitted into the car when i'm ready.

i've taken the rear end apart (not much fun) got the gear box out at which point i found one of the diff cups has a chip in it, so i'll replace that before doing anymore.

most of the i-rc parts are now fitted, just bearings a hing pins left to fit, parts are nice but there are afew minor things i don't realy like if i'm totaly honest (ocd kicking in mainly), i haven't run with them yet so wether or not i'm going to prefer the money i paid for them back is a question i can't answer just yet.

one thing is for certain tohugh, i'm loving her new look.

woooo!!! alloy fuel cap :D i like the blue one better... if you have got both, maybe change them around now and then...?

that chassis didnt look very healthy BUT it did last longer than the blackout one that (i think its Hebby) managed to bend on smaller jumps!! lol

nice parts you got there and that engine is MAD!!!

To much blue will spoil it Paul, so i cat the silver one :D

Gav

actualy i agree.

plus you got one of each that way, blue chassis under it, silver in the middle with the purple outerwears on top.

currently waiting on some new dogbone boots (as it turns out mine have started to come apart) and some stock diff cups with darsoul tubez pre installed.

i still need to take the shock off so i can rebuild them when i can be bothered, aswell as taking the gearbox apart along with the diff.

will also clean her up alittle, but my track record with cleaning my cars is very poor.

after these parts are here i can then consentrate on getting her back together which may be easier said than done, as i have had to cut/destroy/lost many screws while taking her apart, so i think a screw kit if in order on friday.

the shameful thing is its winter, when i get into gaming, if it wasn't for the 4 games i want i'd have finished her by now lol

well i've had a small amount of time on the baja.

my mum is in scotland though, spending it in a cold shed wasn't at the top of my list lol.

i have taken the gearbox apart, messy job but got to be done and happy i did, found 3 bearings that are on their way out, the rest seem ok though so i'll keep them as spares just incase.

gears are fine, going to clean them up before they get put back in with new grease and bearing though.

not yet looked inside the diff, it got the alloy case though so i'm not expecting anything majouly wrong if anything.

i also went to bolt in the engine, just somthing i wante dout of the way....shame things don't go as i plan though, i struggled to get all the bolt holes to line up, after going through afew options i eventualy found gthat the rear chassis plate has been bent, quite likly from the jumps at th emsuk jam as i didn't have a issue getting pieman5's engine in her while i was there.

looking at just bending it back right now but the modified rc option and the i-rc option are being looked at as i'd like the extra strength to aid in it not happening again.

until such time i work out what i want to do for now i got the gearbox, diff and shocks to look at.....