• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which TC?

blueshade27

Hello all, kinda new to on road stuff and i'm looking at getting a TC for our local concreted area. Just wondering what my options are, I dont want to spend 400 quid on a top of the line TC for what in essence will be a basher, but i do like my bling. It probably wont be raced, but id like it to run lipo and b/l.

So whats the options as i don't really have a clue.

Cheers.

It is. Very basic, worse than a TT01.

A TT01 would handle most things thrown at it (rally, drift, carpark etc), and can take mild-ish brushless (mine had a 10.5 in it) but you get to the limits of handling very quickly on a track or racing at a club.

TA05s are brilliant cars, adjustable and can take quick brushless systems, tough as old boots but aren't too cheap (looking at

Its tub but takes a lot of LiPos on the market.

And yep, if you wanted to pile a lot of money into it, then there are a few manufacturers (mainly Japanese) doing parts and conversion kits. 3Racing, Crest, Alien Racing, Square etc.

Small example:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jasons-Store__W0QQ_sidZ8173167?_nkw=ta05&submit=Search

Id either go for a 2nd hand Schumacher mi3 or similar, or maybe a tamiya tt01 witha few choice upgrades to take the brushless, HPI`s E10 stuff is quite good for basing aswell.

Ewwwww not the E10. The only RC I've ever owned which has self destructed beyond the point of repair.

Its tub but takes a lot of LiPos on the market.

And yep, if you wanted to pile a lot of money into it, then there are a few manufacturers (mainly Japanese) doing parts and conversion kits. 3Racing, Crest, Alien Racing, Square etc.

Small example:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jasons-Store__W0QQ_sidZ8173167?_nkw=ta05&submit=Search

I've got Turnigy 4000mah 30-40C lipos, they fit perfectly in the TA05 apart from needing a small cut out from the battery strap for the wires. And MY GOD is it fast with an 8.5t motor. I've looked at hop ups, but I don't think it needs them! I've been offered a 3racing graphite chassis for cheap when the owner manages to find it thouh(I keep telling him, it's down the back of the sofa...), so that'll be pretty much all I think.

yowser, cheers Garry, I know modelsport do the ta 05 for just over 200 quid but where else can i get one?

Watch ebay. I saw 2 rollers, one hopped up go for about £40 a year or so ago. They're more expensive now, but still affordable. I bought mine new from RCmart for £110 posted, but this was in the days of a 2:1 USD:GBP exchange rate.

Edited by joe of loath

• 2 months later...

Hello all, back again. Just a wee update. I have just won a ta-05 ifs on the bay, gonna buy some new gearing for it, Anyone know what tooth and pitch the standard spur is?

I have a sidewinder/5700 combo sat doing nothing at the moment.......................recommend any gearing?

Cheers for your help again.

I think stock, it comes with 0.6module gears which isn't common, its only Tamiya which use those. Not sure on size though, but when it comes, use http://www.gearchart.com to make a gearchart for it. You'll have to guess a pinion to put into the site, but aim for an FDR of around 6-7 for the space you want to run in (I'm assuming its like a carpark?). It might take a few goes but once you have a rough idea about pinion size, then you can gear the car according to motor temperature as you run it.

The ta-05 had a wee run today, but noticed a problem.

The sidewinder esc is too big for the little are for the ESC, it messes around with the layout of the chassis, so i think i need a new ESC..........:whistling::whistling::whistling:

I am thinking about the LRP A.I. and eraser combo from modelsport ( 9.5t ). Anyone used this combo before, or other recommendations?

I am thinking about the LRP A.I. and eraser combo from modelsport ( 9.5t ). Anyone used this combo before, or other recommendations?

It's awful! The esc will randomly forget which way is forwards and which is backwards, I'd drive my car to the grid, stop, and when the race starts, it'd shoot off in reverse. The motors are awful aswell, the magnets are bonded rather than sintered, which is bad, althought I'm not quite sure why.

Matt

It's awful! The esc will randomly forget which way is forwards and which is backwards, I'd drive my car to the grid, stop, and when the race starts, it'd shoot off in reverse. The motors are awful aswell, the magnets are bonded rather than sintered, which is bad, althought I'm not quite sure why.

Matt

That behaviour was common on the brushed AI speed controls too...

Bonded magnets are worse as they can't cope with the high RPM's that sintered ones can.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...............I think maybe 60A hobbyking jobber will do me fine.

The amp rating of the speedo just means you can run a better motor. Personally, I'd get a 120A speedo, I wouldn't run the 60A with a motor any quicker than an 8.5t. Infact, I have a 13.5t that draws 70A at max power!

Matt