• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Layers- Red, Gold

Hi Guys

Wanting some help understanding layering with polycarbonate paints.

have done a few shells now, single colours, stripes etc. However coming back into this, have treated myself to a HPI Alfa Romeo 8C.

Want to go classic, get a Candy Apple Red, however numerous searches and nothing has caught my eye.

Watching an old Top Gear episode in which JC drives a Disco Volante which is a coach built car based on the under-pinnings of an Alfa 8C. This car is stunning, will try and drop a link below. Touring (The Coach Builders) had painted the car Gold first laying then Red paint. The effect was stunning, showing the soft Gold glow through the Candy Apple Red.

Can you replicate this with Polycarbonate? Have tried with some off cuts, painting a very thin layer of Red, same for Gold, single coating the whole way and the overall effect was just dark and dull.

Has anyone got any pointers? If it is something that can be achieved but only with an Airbrushe, please let me know.

Thanks All and Everyone stay safe.

Have you tried the tamiya translucent  paints ?  I was going to do a  tamiya Suzuki Swift Sport body to match my 1/1 car...burning candy red, until tamiya decided to paint it yellow from the factory  !!!!😡    I was going to  try using translucent red and silver in layers backed with black.

Hi John

Haven't seen the translucent colours from Tamiya. So you suggesting laying down several coats of the Translucent Red, then backing with Gold? Will have a look around to see if I can find some translucent Red results. Good suggestion, thank you. Hadn't even thought this direction. 

Kind Regards

S

DiscoStu666, tamiya mica red, sure its ps-60, may be the stuff yer after. When the light hits it right ye can see a fine gold tinted metallic finish to it. Still very translucent tho, runnin mine without backing as got too Impatient waiting on silver paint. By the time it appeared the shell was suitably battle scarred so never bothered! 

On 18/07/2020 at 20:18, Acidsnow said:

DiscoStu666, tamiya mica red, sure its ps-60, may be the stuff yer after. When the light hits it right ye can see a fine gold tinted metallic finish to it. Still very translucent tho, runnin mine without backing as got too Impatient waiting on silver paint. By the time it appeared the shell was suitably battle scarred so never bothered! 

Hi Acidsnow, That is hilarious!! Been in exactly the same position, so eager to get out, when I finally get the full order through have already caused scarring to the shell. LOL

That was in my earlier days, I have returned to the hobby after numerous years off, treated myself to a variety of "toys" mostly HPI stuff, HPI Vorza, 2xHPI Savage XS Flux, HPI RS4 Sport Flux, heritage edition (The one I'm not going to ruin the original bodyshell on) and have ordered a couple of Tamiya kits to build just for old times. Know the Tamiya stuff will not be anywhere near as fast as the Brushless HPI, but bought my daughter a M05 Mini and upgraded everything possible and now the things moves really well!!

Note you are into your Tamiya, TT02? Which variant/s do you have? Have a TT02 Porsche 911 RSR on order. 

Anyway, back to the body, I used translucent green and back with bullion gold as a first attempt and it looks really good. Also had a go at the Translucent Purple, backed with Silver, but think I screwed it up. Just made it look "wishy-washy" and should have put more coats of the purple on. Have actually been thinking that since I have a HotShot coming with the same order as the Mica Red, maybe use that as a template for others using the Red-Gold. The Hot Shot always looked good in Red. Seen that the Super Hot Shot has Gold wheels, maybe by those separately if the body-shell works as I hope. 

Anyway, thanks for the help, much appreciated and next time will be loading some pictures of my results, good and bad.

S

7 hours ago, Sharkfat78 said:

Backing a candy red with gold helps to stop it looking pink. So you'd spray the candy red first, then gold, then back it all with black :) 

Hi

Does this give you the gold under effect? Or ensures you get the candy red? Either of the below would be lovely to achieve, but I'm very much wishing for my current project to get the Red/Gold shown with the Disco Volante picture attached.

Thanks 

S

DVv1.PNG

CandyAppleV1.PNG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DiscoStu666 said:

Hi

Does this give you the gold under effect? Or ensures you get the candy red? Either of the below would be lovely to achieve, but I'm very much wishing for my current project to get the Red/Gold shown with the Disco Volante picture attached.

Thanks 

S

Both really. The gold just stops it taking on a pink tinge

Hi SharkFat

Thanks for confirmation. Have a bunch of body-shells still in the packets. Trimmed my first, The Protoform Camaro 1968, have decided to mess about with this one and try a few different things...Stay posted for the photos!!

S