• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

30DNT LSOR project 2019

DeadMeatUK

This year I will be driving this beast in the 2019 large scale off road national series thanks to rcModelZ.co.uk and TEAMRCMZ. Follow me for updates on the build and unavailing of my 2019 livery

37d157b046d19803ea1546b6dcc67016.jpg
633483627fb31d7bd97578a0a4f3ee4a.jpg
ef0f6bbff9258538cd444b677fd40d1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The truck is out of the box and in the ‘workshop’ well more of a small shed! but never mind at least there’s not much space to heat. It is stripped and had time to reflect on the build quality. It was surprisingly well put together, the diffs was the only parts that could have been better. They had oil but was notchy, once stripped, it was the planet gear shafts was tight in the housing but I’m sure that would have loosened up after a short run? I’ve owned two new Losi 5’s and it equalled the how it has been assembled. I can see where they have saved money, the finish of some of the parts are a little rough, possibly from blunt and overused tooling? However, the appearance means nothing to lap times so i would prefer to spend the money on something that will. All in all, I’m very happy with the purchase and see it as a better alternative to repairing my very worn out Losi.

The next update is when it starts getting interesting... The rebuild...

All the parts and truck are available at rcModelsZ.co.uk and use code teamrcmz for 5% off

41ddd4bf489f9689a9baff567df3847a.jpg

cc0f951c8ae5b6cf980700aeb9db5298.jpg

bb473872570beb9380f51003d65961f1.jpg

• Like 1

My first race is Zenoah cup so I’m using a different diff setup. All three had plenty of oil and I have reassembled using bearing retainer on the diff and housing to spread the end float forces across both bearings. This is because the pinion and crown gear are trying to push apart under load. I’ve then used heat shrink on the drive cups and fitted trimmed boots over the top. For the centre diff, I wanted a split diff mount to speed up track side maintenance times so I’ve gone for FID v3. However, I will be using a Modified rc booted rotor for the front drive cup. I have know idea if it will have the stopping power I require? All parts available at rcModelZ.co.uk and use discount code Teamrcmz [emoji106]

3bb27b0b301cd73405682ee655e4af0e.jpg

902d320e7d09fe4d39f29e1002c89196.jpg

180c66cc7a2f617bfc876287f6e0bd3f.jpg

I’ve been busy trying to get the diff mount to work with the modified rc booted rotor[emoji2955]
The rotor is a little thicker so I used some cut down washers to space out the pad. The 30DNT dog bone pin is a fraction longer than Losi, so I ground a bit off. Happy with my work, I assembled with silicone grease, fitted the boot and realised there wasn’t space for the cable tie! I decided the best thing would be to cut away the ‘calliper’ to make room

a1a2142e7e9a089638f0136e8401aca9.jpg

191f8f89e41bc7da11583aab6491b1e8.jpg

Now to make the servo tray...

Servo tray is finally done. It is made from a 4mm aluminium sheet, and is the third version I’ve made, the first two for my Losi but was from 2mm and both cracked.

063398df82bc0b662292716343d50b71.jpg

5e3f597abe45804336662845ac4ce049.jpg

517c753f03863db314a280b60537b9db.jpg

16e88ddb114ed4f74ad22e96ac360c4e.jpg

12147c5729b5baa1c349909efb3672ce.jpg

From here, other than the battery tray, it’s straight forward assembly. As I have to run a hard pack lipo, I have binned the battery box for a Velcro plate that I can cable tie the pack onto. This also enables me to do away with a switch and simply unplug the battery. I’ve thrown in my old engine because I want to run it tomorrow. However, I will be finishing it trackside at Rd3 of the winter series. Not going to win, just giving it a gentle shakedown for ZCC.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven’t done any updates for a while as there hasn’t been much interest in this thread. That said, I can confirm the 30DNT from rcModelZ is a very capable truck. At Zenoah Challenge Cup I qualified straight into the final and finished 9th overall. Would have done better but I replaced the clutch spring and left the bolts loose in the clutch housing, one backed out and locked against the rear disc [emoji53] I’ve also had a few runs at my local track. I’ve been playing with the camber gain and shock positions in my quest for grip in the wet

• Like 1

I haven’t done any updates for a while as there hasn’t been much interest in this thread. That said, I can confirm the 30DNT from rcModelZ is a very capable truck. At Zenoah Challenge Cup I qualified straight into the final and finished 9th overall. Would have done better but I replaced the clutch spring and left the bolts loose in the clutch housing, one backed out and locked against the rear disc [emoji53] I’ve also had a few runs at my local track. I’ve been playing with the camber gain and shock positions in my quest for grip in the wet

You will find that on here mate
No idea why
Great work on the tray
Did you make your own for strength/durability purposes?

Smells proper mint

I made my own tray to save a couple of ££ The first one was too thin and broke, it also had nut and bolted servos which meant a full strip down to replace a servo. This one is thicker and tapped so servos are easily replaced trackside. BTW I don’t go through many servos, when they do go it’s normally water damage. So far I’ve been able to dry them out and have replaced the transistors for higher current rating [emoji846]

• Like 1

I've been reading, didn't feel the need to say anything though :)

I've given up with dual servos in my 5ive. Even though I've been extremely careful with them not fighting with each other I've killed 3 now. It's the circuit boards as well. The innards are completely intact and undamaged. 

What engine will you run? 

Edited by mond

Because I’m racing BRCA I have to be 30cc or less. I started by buying the KM ported rebuild kit from rcModelZ with the intention of using my old 29.5 Scott Finlay. However, I stripped the threads in the flywheel cover and the carb is not great. So I brought an ESP lightened piston and stock 29 Zenoah for the parts! With the stock crank I have a 28.5cc and ditched the head gasket to keep the compression up

de7c6959c54f3fda3dfc55e9cb21d68f.jpg

283a21e7d5ef78873b1fd927f7245656.jpg

c1f2e34c2f1cadf9248a87762f2d2c8f.jpg

I’m pleased with how it turned out . It does respond quick and at some point, I will port the Zenoah head. I do want to get an Oddie clutch so I don’t have to worry about broken springs and wear

How do they very you're not running a 30.5 cc version of the 290?

The scrutineers have the right to ask you to take the head off to check. Suppose you could measure the stroke with a vernier in the plug hole?? They only need to check you are not using a +2mm crank

Because I’m racing BRCA I have to be 30cc or less. I started by buying the KM ported rebuild kit from rcModelZ with the intention of using my old 29.5 Scott Finlay. However, I stripped the threads in the flywheel cover and the carb is not great. So I brought an ESP lightened piston and stock 29 Zenoah for the parts! With the stock crank I have a 28.5cc and ditched the head gasket to keep the compression up

de7c6959c54f3fda3dfc55e9cb21d68f.jpg

283a21e7d5ef78873b1fd927f7245656.jpg

c1f2e34c2f1cadf9248a87762f2d2c8f.jpg

I’m pleased with how it turned out . It does respond quick and at some point, I will port the Zenoah head. I do want to get an Oddie clutch so I don’t have to worry about broken springs and wear

I like the look of that piston
I had a lightened molly coated from MMR
I put that in the mk1 x2 ported engine

Smells proper mint
  • Like 1