• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho arc build, help / advice / input wanted !!

Fly In My Soup

Created a carbon servo tray, this was a custom-made battery cover for a classic Norton motorbike, but after a few hours work is serving it's new purpose.

Not my best, or worst work, not that's its a bad job but no access to my power tools a.t.m, this was crafted using a reemer and a hacksaw blade.

The left overs will be used elsewhere on the build, probably as crud shields for the rear.

IMG_20161118_124630_zpsijzzdlwg.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

IMG_20161118_225845_zpsvssbiwo7.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

IMG_20161118_225900_zpsthmsxew1.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1

Fitted servo tray, breather, and set up t/b cables ( what a fiddly arse job, the close proximity of the t/b servo led to a game of to me to you between servo horn adjustment/alteration etc etc )

Just got the pipe to re fit then it'll be time to run her!

Had it on briefly for testing earlier today. Noticed it was running rich  as it bogged slightly when blipping throttle, not tuned anything yet, as waiting until puipe back on properly.

IMG_20161119_224155_zpsd6x9olcy.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

IMG_20161119_224145_zpsgkpuxxlr.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Made and fitted a front shock tower brace piece from carbon sheet, cleaned shell.

Fitted 2x drone lights to the shell, behind the front grille, to be wired in tomorrow

IMG_20161120_022221_zpsafhjjauz.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

IMG_20161120_023111_zpspwswouwl.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

IMG_20161120_023144_zpsfppiy5hy.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Almost forgot, here's my brake cam setup, utilised the top threaded hole to enable a "double arm" compared to the single pin lever.

Top 'arm' was made from a bolt, bent and head Sawn off, and a turnbuckle brace rod end.

Still pesimistic that it's going to slow the ageing Japanese monster but one will tell, I've upgraded and overhauled the brake system the best I can thus far, until a variety of parts are offered up for replacement to see if they measure up correctly.

IMG_20161119_231853_zpsmwsz58c2.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

IMG_20161119_231842_zpsfmefhpep.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Edited by Fly In My Soup

I did manage to start, attempt to tune engine, went to stock settings, then went from there, still bogs a bit at wot though, right at the top of the rev range

Oh my bad mate. Didn't realise you had took it out already [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Scotty napalm said:

Oh my bad mate. Didn't realise you had took it out already emoji1303.png

She hasn't been run yet mate, just started it out the back of the house,

When I do take it out I'll be sure to take a video of it, however disastrous it may be!

I'll be coming over exmouth way in a few weeks if you fancy meeting up for a bash?

Was in a nice spot near sandy bay/corbyn point, your neck of the woods last week with work, stopped off for a short bash at dinner

IMG_20161115_140735_zps3gb2yb9z.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clipJ

• Like 1

She hasn't been run yet mate, just started it out the back of the house,

When I do take it out I'll be sure to take a video of it, however disastrous it may be!

I'll be coming over exmouth way in a few weeks if you fancy meeting up for a bash?

Was in a nice spot near sandy bay/corbyn point, your neck of the woods last week with work, stopped off for a short bash at dinner

IMG_20161115_140735_zps3gb2yb9z.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clipJ

Mate that looks awesome. I'm back up to Manchester Tuesday till Sunday. Then my son is due on the Wednesday 30th[emoji51] but I'm sure I can find time mate. Not been out for a while need to get the motor tuned now

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scotty napalm said:

Mate that looks awesome. I'm back up to Manchester Tuesday till Sunday. Then my son is due on the Wednesday 30themoji51.png but I'm sure I can find time mate. Not been out for a while need to get the motor tuned now

Sure thing bud.

You expecting your first??

Quick update, as I was brake/throttle testing in the backyard ( engine running ) I noticed that there was a strange clanking sound when she was driven, which I originally thought was the diff, but she did lurch forward with gusto so looked elsewhere

After much inspection it was found to be a bad mesh between layshaft and diff gear.

So.... Two hours later, a completely stripped rear end revealed that the 29cc that had been shoehorned in ( place of the original 22cc robin ) had been fitted badly and was sat at an angle if around 20°, due to poor mounting, this wasnt clearly visible until fully stripped!

Another two hours later, and she's fully built back up, with newly crafted lower mounts on the off side, she now sits fully level, and meshes wonderfully!!

Maiden run tomorrow!!

3 hours ago, Scotty napalm said:

Mate that looks awesome. I'm back up to Manchester Tuesday till Sunday. Then my son is due on the Wednesday 30themoji51.png but I'm sure I can find time mate. Not been out for a while need to get the motor tuned now

You can work your tuning magic on mine too!!

Teach a 2 stroke noob how it's done 

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1

Finally got her out to test run her, not a great start though!

She's been having issues with bogging on heavy throttle, then after the bog it sometimes dies .

Now from my limited knowledge of two strokes I've been able to get her to idle adjusting the l needle, and h needle both 1 1/2 turns out each, however this in itself was a challenge due to her seemingly not having a 'sweet spot', however carefully I adjusted the needle in many combinations

She now won't start !

Its almost like trying to start a nitro with a fouled plug, so I'm gonna start there

I do know spark plus fuel equals ignition, so I'm going to get another plug today, as this one has oily blackened head , other than that I'm thinking carb?

Short vid, apologies for quality, was filmed on a tablet, it does show her cutting out and bogging slightly, although the bog did get worse, I will do another video tomorrow

I know it seems like she's simply running rich, I did try to correct this with needle adjustment, but as I mentioned, when adjusted leaner she just dies, these settings where the only ones that got her running at all!

P.s fuel is standard 95r, oil is castrol semi-s 2t at 30:1

Edited by Fly In My Soup