• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

axial yeti xl review good and bad

lizzy 4400

the standard servo is the same as fitted to the 1/10 yeti , small wonder it's so under powered for a truck this size , i have not had time to check out the servo saver etc but it makes you wonder if any thing else came from the 1/10 parts bin , if you want to upgrade to the 17mm hex kit this means buying wheels also, not a cheap mod, these should have been a standard fitment on the rtr 

Edited by lizzy 4400

well body panel arrived at last , word has it 50 rtr kits have been shipped to the uk with the near side panel missing , any way all charged up ready to rumble ,god this thing is quick even on 4s moving the rear  shocks back has helped with the torque twist a certain amount and dialing down the throttle punch has made it more user friendly but the steering is still poor its better than it was but i'm going to have to look at the servo saver now cuz the power hd 20kg servo has plenty of power and you can see it's working ok but it's the servo saver that cant handle the weight and size of the car , got mega  run times from the nano tech 7600 mah cells 55mins much better than i expected from such a brutal power system , back on charge time to go and get it jumping.  

Edited by lizzy 4400

yes this does seem to be the week point not sure how to sort this as  as it looks to be bolted in place through the top cover plate then into a plastic thread ,i think if you try and tighten it down any more it will strip the threads, aaaah  yup that's what it did,  now i need a longer bolt and mod the bottom to hold a captive nut , this is so poorly designed  

you can fit spacers under the spring to tighten it up more.  but be warned the front end is a right pain if to many screws are removed

Edited by turok007
  • Like 1

you can indeed and your not wrong what a game it is stripping it out and reassembling , but we now have steering " hooo yaaar " the car now has a decent rate of turn and i no longer have to do a three point turn get it round in the width of the road ,  why couldn't axial make this work , all it takes is a half decent servo and a couple of washers .

what motor and esc  are you going to run in yours , check out hot racing's upgrades for the xl they do a nice adjustable servo saver etc

Edited by lizzy 4400

im running the blue hobbywing 150A esc and 2200kv motor.  first run today and it flies on 4s   i have metal turnbuckles  but the plastic steering rack bends like anything.  it has to be changed   i hate buying something for a new RC but that has to go.

i put a big thick washer under the spring that seems to work for now the steering is 100% better than stock , i'l be looking to get the hot racing set up later, i already have their twin servo upgrade on my 5T and it's a quality bit of kit , did you fit the power hd servo to the kit  i'm well impressed with it at that price and what cells are you running  , i have two 3s packs but cant be bothered to shim the diffs at present  , they seem to have forgot to mention that you will have to strip it down and fit these if you want to run 6s , does not say anything  in axial's  promo hype for the rtr "i wonder why not" 

Edited by lizzy 4400

yup HD servo fitted  it seems really good   im running a 4s pack  (have you seen my build thread in the crawler section)  i do have 3s so i could run 6s  but i wanted to see if 4s was any good first as i have about 7 packs.

• Like 1

yea i think 4s is plenty, i took it down the local park and the air this thing was getting off the skateboard ramps was unreal 15 to 20 ft with some heavy nose first landings  , beware if you wack the brake on when airbourn it will cartwheel end over end ,i had this happen when going full chat over a small yump it must of went over ten times or more and just bent the number plate" lucky or what"

Edited by lizzy 4400

are you going to post any pics or videos.  mine was going to get a proper run today but i had a major issue.  i ran it for a test and it was perfect  so i sealed up the RX box and i got interference.  i finally found out it was the short ESC EXT lead i had fitted.  i fitted it so changing the settings would be easier.

hope to get some pics uploaded soon but my smart phone's broken at present, i have ordered some metal push rods to replace the bendy steering one ,i have also made some other mods to get more lock on the steering , fitted a servo horn from a traxxas summit ,this allows more servo travel without fowling on the case but you have to cut away part of the top cover where the rod runs through, it turns tight now this is how it should have worked off the shelf , still aim to fit the hot racing servo saver assembly ,when funds allow  i've just spent a fortune on my losi 5T if keep on spending i will have to sleep with one eye open or the wife may kill me   ,where will it all end

Have an YXL kit incoming, ordered a QUICRUN-WP-8BL150 & Castle 1515. Looking at a Savox SV-1270TG for a water-proof ish 400oz servo. Apart from the Hot Racing YEX4801 steering bellcrank, anything else a must to fit from the get go for durability? I'd read a few people had damaged the shock towers and shock caps were a bit weak.

Would it be better to start an owners thread for the YXL in rock crawlers? 

Edited by fornowagain

Have an YXL kit incoming, ordered a QUICRUN-WP-8BL150 & Castle 1515. Looking at a Savox SV-1270TG for a water-proof ish 400oz servo. Apart from the Hot Racing YEX4801 steering bellcrank, anything else a must to fit from the get go for durability? I'd read a few people had damaged the shock towers and shock caps were a bit weak.

Would it be better to start an owners thread for the YXL in rock crawlers? 

i was going to start a owners thread.   as for shock caps  people have broke them but you get some spares in the box.  the bell crank is sort of needed  and im thinking of changing the motor mount.  but i might just wait and see if it does holds up.