• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tomahawk bx accelerator not responding

Philthy

Hi all first post here. I am very new to rc cars so please excuse my ignorance.

We had the Tomahawk racing around madly today until the accelorator just stopped responding. Pull the trigger and no movement. The engine continued to run on idle and we had steering

Does anyone have a suggestions please?

Thanks

edit: to be more specific the throttle servo isnt responding but the steering servo is fine

Edited by Philthy

Swap the connections over for the throttle/steering servo's on the receiver and try it! If the throttle servo still doesn't respond it's probably borked! If it does then it's something to do with radio/receiver!

Thanks Rikardo, swapped them over and the steering worked with the trigger so i concur with you borked diagnosis

This thing is about 15 minutes old.

Is it normal for a servo to just die like that so early?

Are there better quality parts that will fit the bx and where would i get them from?

Cheers

Standard servos are usually crap and is always a popular first upgrade, servos are pretty much standard in size for 1/10 and 1/8 scale cars so any decent servo will do. For steering you will definitely want metal gears at at least 10kg/cm in torque.

something like this if you want a decent servo at a reasonable price

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-high-performance-race-servo-high-torque-/rc-car-products/359784

or if your on a tight budget then this will do but 1 of mine died after a couple of gallons of bashing in my 1/8 buggy (still good value!) the other is still going strong in my 1/10 truck though its not used as much.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG996R-Metal-Gear-Digital-High-Torque-Servo-for-Futaba-JR-2C-RC-TRUCK-CAR-/301156883325?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item461e595b7d

Just remember you usually get what you pay for.

Edited by gavin28

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whilst waiting for my flash servo to arrive i found another el cheapo at the local toy store. Fitted it, refitted it, refitted it and got the beast going again until it went completely wide open, had a massive stack and servo no work no more :-|

Anyway i know the new servo is waiting for me at the post office for collection tomorrow and before i go ahead and fit these and possibly stuff them up again tell me what the tricks/pitfalls are when fitting a new throttle servo.

there should be a dial on your transmitter, maybe called dual rate, or end point adjustment. It limits the travel of the servo, so basically you want it so when at full throttle the carb is just fully open and not straining the servo.

Same with the steering servo, you want it so its just on full lock and not straining the servo when the wheel on the transmitter is fully turned.

The instructions for your transmitter will be in the manual  :yes:

Yers the manual....RTFM?

Have certainly read the manuals a number of times but being new to RC nitro its like reading dutch sometimes - dutch hater!!! haha

Will lock myself away in the shed this weekend, resist drinking and have another go.

Appreciate your help Gavin :thumbsup:

no probs pal, unfortunately not all transmitters have this function. If that's the case it would involve playing with the linkages to get it set up correctly - but try the transmitter first, as that's quicker and easier  :thumbsup:

Have you also checked the batteries? On a few occasion my tomahawk vx has had eratic servo behaviour and was fixed simply by changing batteries.

it was burnt out servo, which he has now replaced. He now just needs to set it up correctly to reduce the likelihood of it happening again  :thumbsup:

Righto Gav dials relating to throttle on the transmitter are throttle trim and 2 x dials -hi & low - throttle ATV which "provides the function to preset independently throttle travel of the servo either side of nuetral. It offers easier adjustmentys to set the throttle operation at idle and maximum power"

I kinda get it but mostly dont. Can anyone translate it to basic english for me please?

Also, after i have stuck the new servo in, my plan is to turn it all (not start the engine though) on give the accelerator a couple of burst and then fit the servo horn, throttle linkage and brake linkage so that the carburetor opening is in the idle position - 0.5 - 1 mm

am i on the right track here?

sorry for being a dunce :yes:

OK pal Throttle ATV, translates to End Point Adjustment  :thumbsup:  Just what we want.

Follow your procedure as that's correct but there's an extra step at the end - You need to set the end point of travel for the new throttle servo.  When you adjust that dials, you will notice that if affects the travel limit of the servo, you need to set it so the servo stops trying to turn once on full throttle, this stops the servo being strained and burning out when holding full throttle  :hahadance:

Same for brake if you can, set it so you get full brakes, obviously, but dont set the travel too long otherwise you are putting extra unneeded strain on the servo

BTW your not a dunce, we all had to learn this sort of thing at some point  :yes:

Edited by gavin28