• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

hobao h4e

ratman

im half tempted to get one of these just for something to build, looked at the manual, and vomited all over the house, it looks TERRIBLE

mind you, im used to my nice tamiya manuals, and the occasional associated one, im also wondering if i ca put some tamiya TRF works dampers designed for m chassis, as im sure they would be better than the kit shocks

Edited by samshirley001

Very nice review, and I love the car. :good:

I'm considering returning to competition again, for the first time since 2004,and this car is definitely one of the frontrunners for me to go for.

Could you clarify something for me though? When I used to race, the best touring cars at the time (Losi XXX-S, Associated TC4, HPI Pro 4, Schumacher Mi2, etc) all had super-smooth ball-bearing diffs, front and rear. Nowadays I see most high-end touring cars have front spools instead, and this one uses a geared rear diff.Could you please explain the reasons behind these 2 things, and why they are considered the way to go nowadays?

Thanks.

The main reason gear diffs are used in my opinion is because with the power now producted using brushless motors and turbo firmware the ball diff simply cannot remain consistant and reliable as it cant take the power. I know people do still use a ball diff in 17.5 blinky.

As for the spool its kind of classed as an inbetween of a diff and one way. The one way gives awesome steering etc but the lack of brakes isnt nice, there are alot of people.uaing a gear diff with very heavy oil or putty in the front of there cars aswell nowadays

Gear diff rear spool front allows  for a wider tuning widow over a ball diff, less maintenance too so it just caught on. 

some still run ball diffs in modified classes as the diffs slip can be useful, however in blinky class racing gear diff is the preferred way to go as you want all the power instantly.

Ratman its odd you dont sand the chassis, whilst its not a problem (i only do it because sods law will intervene if i dont and end up splintering the carbon)

its nice they give you a 3 degree rear susp block, my yokomo is either 2.5 or 3.5 and you gotta spend

Edited by PurcyP

Great review, looking forward to part 2 and seeing how it performs on the track :) 

I have to admit, I am really considering this as my next TC.

As to ball diffs, they are more tuneable than gear diffs, (Especially track side where you can just pop in a hex and twist it a tad to make it stiffer or looser). The slip is negligible (unless you make it like that), its more the fact that once sorted a gear diff requires very little maintenance. 

Yeah 1.9 internal same as trf but there is an optional pulley set to make it 2.0. The spur gears are 3 hole ones, people uae xray onea. I think robinson racing ones will fit but will find out soon as wanna put my 64dp on it.

Shella done btw.

IMG_6143676609015_zps4b88aec7.jpg

• Like 2